2022 MLB Thread

Walter

Just now, paul carruthers said:

I think I'm done ranting about this, but it's become a prerequisite feeling of dread that if the Mets don't score more than 3 runs, they are toast... 😢

well lets hope tonite the mets don't load the bases, last 2 games have been dismal when they do lol

14 hours ago, Strider said:

Thinking of the Dodgers I am reminded of the 2001 Seattle Mariners. 116-46. Did not even make it to the World Series.

off topic a bit but remember reds  with Seaver having best record in strike year, maybe 81? but baseball split records before and after and  Reds didn't make playoffs

On 9/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, paul carruthers said:

I'm not sure how to feel right now. I know winning the division and getting that bye seems essential, but the playoffs are such a crapshoot and with deGrom getting shelled a bit his last few starts, I'm just feeling not too confident whoever the Mets run up against in October... :unsure:

I know that the Mets are your team as the Cardinals are mine.  I do understand your lack of confidence in the Mets as you said it is a crapshoot when it comes to any team that makes it to the playoffs.  Just be thankful your Mets (and my Cardinals) made it this far.  There are only 12 teams that can make that claim this 2022 baseball season.  Of course, as fans of our favorite teams there will always be some apprehension (and dread) that our teams will not achieve the ultimate goal.  Luckily for me, the Saint Louis Cardinals always seem to be a dominant and likely team to make a playoff run each year (not always, but usually).  Therefore, I have full confidence in the Cardinals this (and every) year.  You should to even though I will be rooting against the Mets as the Cardinals will have to play them in the division series once we defeat the Brewers and/or Phillies.  If that does not happen, I will still be proud of the 2022 baseball season that the Saint Louis Cardinals had this year.  Albert Pujols 701(+) home runs hit.  Adam Wainwright and Yadier Molina starting together a record of 325 times in both their illustrious careers as Cardinals.  All three future first time Baseball Hall of Fame inductees.  Alas, the pending retirement of all three at the end of this season.  To me, it seems like it is in their destiny to all go out on top for a final time.  Notice the seems in italics.  With all that being written by me, I do wish your New York Mets good fortune up to a certain point.  

14 hours ago, Strider said:

Ugh, the Mets. What an ugly sweep. Not that I am a Mets fan. But I hate the Braves.

when your top 3 pitchers are set up rotation wise for  that series and get shelled, well not a confidence booster heading into wild card, that  and  leaving  so many men on base leads me to believe i need to buy  some schaefer beer, lots, its the one beer to have when your having more than one

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I'm not holding out much hope for that Wild Card series with San Diego. I might just sulk through the whole thing as we probably get eliminated in 2 games...  <_<

Well Paul at least your team got in but they do not seem to be the Mets that were playing early in the season.  I would certainly give them a shot vs San Diego who are lucky to hold on vs Milwaukee and Philly  Milwaukee and the White Sox  are both big disappointments as they were both right there and blew it.  The Brewers are still technically alive, especially with Houston playing the Phillies.  But the bad news is who the Brewers must play tonight.   A very good pitcher for Arizona.  So your Mets have a fighting chance vs SD.  But after that, i do not see anyone beating Dodgers or Braves.  

4 hours ago, custard pie man said:

when your top 3 pitchers are set up rotation wise for  that series and get shelled, well not a confidence booster heading into wild card, that  and  leaving  so many men on base leads me to believe i need to buy  some schaefer beer, lots, its the one beer to have when your having more than one

If I look back in the dark recesses of time I'm sure I have knocked back a 12-pack or two of Schaefer's.

6 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Garbage that ranks down there with the likes of Black Label, Utica Club, Old Milsquakee and Generic

Piels draft for 4 bucks a case got me through 2 years at Keene new Hampshire, I mean I was the only one with a full set of teeth 1980-81 lol

Edited by custard pie man

1 minute ago, paul carruthers said:

Houston vs. any of the top 3 teams in the NL should make for an interesting World Series. Beyond that, I think I'm going to watch the playoffs without much enthusiasm or rooting interest....

I would not just hand the AL pennant to Houston on a silver platter.  My Orioles gave them fits almost swept them in Houston.  They can be beat.  NO more Correa.  Toronto is dangerous

21 minutes ago, ebk said:

Doubleheader today to end the season.  I'm actually watching the post-game show because I actually enjoyed this season! 

Here's to next year! 

Indeed!!!  Our Orioles played very well and exceeded expectations.  I like our chances next near.  And the future looks bright.  Holiday is coming and Means is returning.  Go O’s!!!

6 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Well--in spite of my team's troubles--watching the Astros beat up the Phillies 2 days in a row was a nice way to end. Now on to the inevitable Padres sweep of the Mets...  <_<

So are there any one offs?  Are these best of 5?  
That Seattle vs Toronto surprises me due to the distance.  Seattle has very good pitching.  Gilbert will no doubt start

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 10/2/2022 at 10:40 AM, paul carruthers said:

I think I'm done ranting about this, but it's become a prerequisite feeling of dread that if the Mets don't score more than 3 runs, they are toast... 😢

12 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ The first Wild Card rounds are best 2 of 3, then the next round, the Division Series are best of 5....

Thanks.  You guys likely get Blake Snell.  Mets might go with Sherzer?  TB may have edge game 1 w McClanahan but after that toss up.  Phillies and Cards could be a slugfest?  Gilbert is tough but Seattle May have worst offense off all teams

So, while the Dodgers, Braves, Astros, and Yankees take a breather during the first round, here are my picks for the Wild Card round.

Mets over Padres.

Cardinals over Phillies.

Rays over Indians.

Mariners over Blue Jays.