2022 MLB Thread

Walter

23 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I wouldn't want to put the jinx on Cleveland, but I love it when small ball wins in October, instead of teams who are known for mashing. And when the Yankees lose, it's even better...  :D

Indeed.  But I can’t stand the sillies.  Dodgers must win and I think they will.  Even though Musgrove coming off that shut out of your boys. 

I haven't seen much of that series, but apparently the Phillies just beat the Braves by outslugging them & the Braves bats went cold. I don't know how many people had a Philly/San Diego NLCS when the playoffs started, but it may be reality by Sunday. I hate the Phillies, so obviously I'll root for the Padres if that does happen.... 

Houston and Philadelphia.  Now it's time for San Diego and Cleveland to win.

My prediction:

Phillies vs. Padres.  Phillies win.

Astros vs. Indians.  Astros win.

2022 World Series.  Houston Astros versus Philadelphia Phillies.  

Houston Astros 2022 World Series Champions.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Hats off to the Padres. They were clutch. The Dodgers were not.

Philadelphia vs. San Diego.

I'll make my pick later. I've got football to think about.

Absolute shit series.  Ill pick San Diego right now. The AL winner should be happy. They have dodged the best two teams in baseball.  This 3 out of 5 is horse shit when you play 162 games to play what, to win 3 to eliminate a team as good as Atlanta or Dodgers?  Had these been best of 7 they may have been a different outcome.  Time for them to wake up.  Change it to best of 7 or shorten the season by 20 games or so.

41 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Absolute shit series.  Ill pick San Diego right now. The AL winner should be happy. They have dodged the best two teams in baseball.  This 3 out of 5 is horse shit when you play 162 games to play what, to win 3 to eliminate a team as good as Atlanta or Dodgers?  Had these been best of 7 they may have been a different outcome.  Time for them to wake up.  Change it to best of 7 or shorten the season by 20 games or so.

I find modern day MLB unwatchable. With all of the on-field jewelry, strutting and bat flipping it looks more like a South American softball league with each passing season. The playoff format is complete horseshit, and has led once again to mediocre teams advancing. Unwatchable.  

The Mets and Dodgers flat-out choked, as they have a history of doing, not a lot of sympathy for them.  (Looks like the Yankees may well do the same against the Indians.)  There are probably good reasons for extending the division series to 7 games (with a single, best-of-5 wild-card series in each league), but right now all that would mean is the Dodgers and Braves (both 100 game winners) would be in a deep 3-1 hole.  The fact is, the playoffs are all that ultimately matter and teams who had great regular seasons need to keep it going if they want to advance.  I don't have a problem with 90-win, small-market teams moving on here.  

Edited by JohnOsbourne

Well, the possibility of the Yankees or the Phillies in the World Series would make me ill, so here's hoping the Guardians can finish off their series tonight & that the Padres advance.

Whatever happens, I won't be surprised in the slightest given how the playoffs are a crapshoot every year. If I have any rooting interest left, it would be for Terry Francona or Dusty Baker....

Edited by paul carruthers

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, the possibility of the Yankees or the Phillies in the World Series would make me ill, so here's hoping the Guardians can finish off their series tonight & that the Padres advance.

Whatever happens, I won't be surprised in the slightest given how the playoffs are a crapshoot every year. If I have any rooting interest left, it would be for Terry Francona or Dusty Baker....

I think it's always been the case in all sports that a mediocre team can get hot at the right time and win a single game or series against an otherwise superior opponent (think of those Super Bowls the NY Giants won).  Granted, baseball is more susceptible to hot/cold streaks than other sports, but I'm not convinced this is a real issue here, it is what it is.  Like last year, it's not like the Astros were so demonstrably superior to the Braves (who played great ball after the All-Star break, their overall record wasn't indicative of their quality), such that the WS outcome was a quirk.  And like I said, the Dodgers have a history of choking, it's probably not surprising the Braves beat them in the NLCS last year.

In general the regular seasons of all pro sports leagues are way too long (although it's much worse in football and basketball than baseball), they need to reduce them (although of course they never will for monetary reasons).

40 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I think it's always been the case in all sports that a mediocre team can get hot at the right time and win a single game or series against an otherwise superior opponent (think of those Super Bowls the NY Giants won).  Granted, baseball is more susceptible to hot/cold streaks than other sports, but I'm not convinced this is a real issue here, it is what it is.  Like last year, it's not like the Astros were so demonstrably superior to the Braves (who played great ball after the All-Star break, their overall record wasn't indicative of their quality), such that the WS outcome was a quirk.  And like I said, the Dodgers have a history of choking, it's probably not surprising the Braves beat them in the NLCS last year.

In general the regular seasons of all pro sports leagues are way too long (although it's much worse in football and basketball than baseball), they need to reduce them (although of course they never will for monetary reasons).

Its not happening due to the revenue that comes in .  Im sure you know that.  Maybe baseball would be OK financially to lesson the season my 20 games or so, but nothing outrageous would ever happen. And then you have records like the Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak and Ted Williams .400 batting average and of course Home Run records.  Not sure who actually holds it now that McGuire was busted shooting himself to be the incredible Hulk.   But that is something they will consider also.  But come on, the Braves and Dodgers are better than the Sillies and the Padres.  I guess one could make a case for SD.  Machado and some other beasts.  The Dodgers owned them in the regular season.  I think it will ultimately be the cheating ass Houston Assholes vs the Padres.  Ill be shocked if Philly gets in with that pitching staff. I expect Machado to go off on them.  Ill call it now.  Machado goes yard at least 3 times.  

The Dodgers are simply loaded.  If they are going to do something maybe they trade Clayton Kershaw, as I believe he will still get you a damn good return.  

The Houston Astros are on the way to their fourth World Series appearance in the past six years.  Not many teams can claim that honor (win or lose).  Not even the Saint Louis Cardinals and in no way whatsoever, the Baltimore Orioles, whose last World Series was in 1983, almost 40 years ago (which they just happened to win). 40 years ago Rick.  You have been saying next year for 40 years now.  I was just 12 years old in 1983 although I did go to game 1 of the 1982 World Series between the Saint Louis Cardinals and the Milwaukee Brewers.  The Brewers easily defeated the Cardinals 10-0.  The Cardinals won that 1982 World Series, however, 4 games to 3.  

Anyways, Go Astros.  

I wont watch if SD does not rally.  How the hell are the Padres not beating the Sillies? Darvish had best win today. My friend who watch's every Yankee game, and I mean every, is likely in total depression.  Yes I have been a Yankee hater, BUT, I hate this Houston team maybe more.  Cheating, thieving pricks. Now Dusty had nothing to do with it and came in and figures, I may as well get a series and notch it up under my  belt.  What really gives me hope is how well the Orioles handled them.  Nobody else can.  And their pitching has been lights out. The Yankees are finished.  We know that. And Houston if they can sweep likely gets the rest for their staff.  Like they need it. 

On 10/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, SteveAJones said:

I find modern day MLB unwatchable. With all of the on-field jewelry, strutting and bat flipping it looks more like a South American softball league with each passing season. The playoff format is complete horseshit, and has led once again to mediocre teams advancing. Unwatchable.  

so all major sports I find have this modern day mentality that everyone is a winner and everyone gets to participate bullshit, baseball, football hockey, basketball stopped watching 20 years ago, better to watch a rap video if your into that shit and nascar was the one sport that held driver and team accountable for a 9 month season where the best win out and then they fucked it all up with playoffs, points , lucky dog and now divideding races into stages and resetting the field and result is racing sucks and fans don't go anymore, basically major sports are following society with all this inclusiveness and participation trophies, sport has become watered down in my opinion