2022 MLB Thread

Walter

On 10/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, Strider said:

ALCS: Yankees

NLCS: Padres

I won't watch an Asstros-Phillies World Series.

so will see if  major league baseball in combination with the umpires can find away to somehow keep the hitless yankees  from being eliminated and not lose that huge market because believe many people feel the same as you lol

3 hours ago, custard pie man said:

so will see if  major league baseball in combination with the umpires can find away to somehow keep the hitless yankees  from being eliminated and not lose that huge market because believe many people feel the same as you lol

Nothing can save the Yankees now. Last I checked, David Ortiz was not in the Yankee dugout.

Houston Astros!!!   Unstoppable.  It seems that cheating 5 or 6 years ago really pays off.  

Rick, l want to see you type it again.  Let me read it.  The Houston Astros are cheaters.  Come on.  I know it will not be your last.  

Remember, I told you the Astros were my 2nd favorite team.  If I can't root for the Saint Louis Cardinals, I am going to root for the team that cheats their way into a 4th World Series appearance in the last 6 years.

4 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Houston Astros!!!   Unstoppable.  It seems that cheating 5 or 6 years ago really pays off.  

Rick, l want to see you type it again.  Let me read it.  The Houston Astros are cheaters.  Come on.  I know it will not be your last.  

Remember, I told you the Astros were my 2nd favorite team.  If I can't root for the Saint Louis Cardinals, I am going to root for the team that cheats their way into a 4th World Series appearance in the last 6 years.

I never thought I would say this King, I would rather see your Cardinals in the Series than these stinking Sillies.  I hate the Phillies.  What a crap WS.  Crap.  I think the way the Sillies are hitting they can make trouble for Verlander who is not really their best pitcher now.  I believe Houston wins.  But no sweep.  Phillies playing too well to be swept.  SD lied down like the dogs they are. They put all their effort into beating the Dodgers. That was their World Series.  I still cant believe Atlanta and the Dodgers BOTH got upset. Atlanta may have had a Series hangover but they fought like hell to win the East. Beat the Mets on the final day.  But the Dodgers.  Did not see that coming. That is why the best of 5 should be scrapped.  The Dodgers are a better team than SD and owned them in the regular season. Then this. I believe the Dodgers could have overcome it and won if it was best of 7.  I actuallu would rather the Houston cheaters win. I cannot stomach thinking fo the Sillies winning.

18 hours ago, Strider said:

I'm picking the Angels. Instead of watching two teams I hate in this World Series,  I am watching the 2002 World Series between the Giants and Angels.

Then I might as well watch the 70 Orioles with Brooks Robinson or the 83 O's with Cal Ripken?  Houston should win.  I cant stand either team either, and that would also include the Yankees had they made it. So SD would have been better than these.  The Dodgers really let us down.  I have high hopes for my O's next year

17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Then I might as well watch the 70 Orioles with Brooks Robinson or the 83 O's with Cal Ripken?  Houston should win.  I cant stand either team either, and that would also include the Yankees had they made it. So SD would have been better than these.  The Dodgers really let us down.  I have high hopes for my O's next year

Why not? The baseball was a lot better...and quicker back then. There were hit-and-runs, stolen bases, moving the runner over, hitting them where they ain't. No standing around waiting for a home run or a strikeout. No shifts.

I have already watched the first three games. This guy on youtube has all seven games of the 2002 WS...including the commercials. I had forgotten all about that "I Love Twins" beer commercial. Definitely would cancelled today. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on the Fox broadcast.

Game 1.

Game 2. This was a crazy game full of lead changes. Another fun thing about watching these is seeing the promos for all these crappy Fox shows that have disappeared into oblivion. Anyone remember David E. Kelley's show "Girls Club" starring Gretchen Mol and two other chicks whose names I forgot? Remember when Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen were a couple?

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I would personally like to thank the Astros from saving me from the nightmare that would have been another Phillies/Yankees series.

I'll root for Houston, but wouldn't blink once if the damn Phillies won it all... 😡

I have not looked at any of the lines but I have to figure Houston is a prohibitive favourite.

What I was watching exactly 20 years ago on October 26, 2002. From the depths of despair (Bonds crushing a K-Rod slider to put the Giants up 4-0) to unadulterated unalloyed joy (the 7th and 8th innings), it was an emotional Saturday night.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:44 AM, Strider said:

Why not? The baseball was a lot better...and quicker back then. There were hit-and-runs, stolen bases, moving the runner over, hitting them where they ain't. No standing around waiting for a home run or a strikeout. No shifts.

I have already watched the first three games. This guy on youtube has all seven games of the 2002 WS...including the commercials. I had forgotten all about that "I Love Twins" beer commercial. Definitely would cancelled today. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on the Fox broadcast.

Game 1.

I think I heard the shift is done after this season?  Did you hear that?  I think they are making it illegal after this season.  But you would think you could put your team wherever you want?  One way to beat the shift is to know how to hit to opposite field.  You do not pull the ball.  Ill pick Houston to have too much pitching for them.  I want no part of seeing a Phillies win.  They won like 5 more games than my Orioles who did not get in. They should not have been allowed to make the playoffs.  Finished in third place in the division. What a joke.

It was 20 years ago today...Sunday October 27, 2002. I was watching Game 7 of the 2002 World Series. Rookie John Lackey pitching for the Angels. Livan Hernández for the Giants.
1979. 1982. 1986. 1995. Mike Miley. Lyman Bostock. Donnie Moore. Before the 2002 season I had come to believe the Angels franchise was cursed and would never win a championship in my lifetime. How wrong I was that year. The only sad thing about that season was that Gene Autry was not alive to experience it himself. 

If the Philadelphia Phillies were playing the New York Yankees in the World Series I would be rooting for the Phillies even though they upset the Saint Louis Cardinals.  I never liked the Yankees, even though I respect them as a historic baseball organization.   However, since the Houston Astros are now in their fourth World Series in the past six years, I am rooting for the Astros.  (I was born on Galveston Island, Texas, an hour south of Houston, in 1970).  

Houston Astros defeat the Philadelphia Phillies, 4 games to 2.

I might be in the minority in saying that Houston & more importantly, Dusty Baker finally getting that ring would be a feel good story for baseball. Like when Andy Reid finally one that championship. Definitely no need for a supposed asterisk if Houston seals the deal this year & any more of that shit with people in the seats with trash cans.... 

any more of that shit with people in the seats with trash cans.... 

And ain't got no spendin' cash. 

Come on, Philly. Do it for Al Schmid.

Albert Andrew Schmid (20 October 1920 – 1 December 1982) was a United States Marine awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism at the Battle of the Tenaru (Ilu River) during the Guadalcanal campaign in World War II. Credited with killing over 200 Japanese attackers during a night-long assault, he was blinded in action by a grenade blast and endured multiple surgeries and extended rehabilitation upon his return to the United States.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, kingzoso said:

If the Philadelphia Phillies were playing the New York Yankees in the World Series I would be rooting for the Phillies even though they upset the Saint Louis Cardinals.  I never liked the Yankees, even though I respect them as a historic baseball organization.   However, since the Houston Astros are now in their fourth World Series in the past six years, I am rooting for the Astros.  (I was born on Galveston Island, Texas, an hour south of Houston, in 1970).  

Houston Astros defeat the Philadelphia Phillies, 4 games to 2.

Im in agreement but the Phillies are hitting good pitchers in this crazy playoffs.  I never saw the Dodgers losing to SD.  They absolutely owned SD in the regular season SD can screw up anything. I would rather have seen the Dodgers.  I wont watch an inning of this crap.  Houston should win.  But just look at game 1.  5-0 an no quit as the Phillies are playing with house money.  They only won like 5 more games than my Orioles did. They should not be in. The rule change opened the door for shit like this.  You play 162 games and some team gets hot and beats you in what?  A best of 5!!!!!   That is BS

The Phillies winning is slightly less annoying than the Astros winning, I guess, so I didn't mind today's Game 3 result.

It was already in the 7th inning by the time I got home from work, so the Phillies were already way ahead. The best thing about the World Series is listening to John Smoltz. With Vin Scully gone, Smoltz is the best baseball announcer left.

Javier pitching tonight.  Ill say its going to be 2-2 after tonight.  Last night I expected Houston to lose as my Orioles racked up McCallum or whatever his name is pretty good.  We won the series vs them in Houston and almost swept them if not for an extra innings loss.  I do not want the Sillies to win the series.  No way.  As much as I cant stand either team. The Dodgers need to fire their manager.  How the hell do they let the Padres beat them?  After such domination.  I am totally against the best of 5 bullshit.   And I am also against the best of 3.  If a team plays 162 games to qualify, you cannot let some dog beat them in best of 3 or 5.  Remember the Black Sox scandal of 1919?  If you have never watched the movie "8 Men Out", WATCH IT.  Great movie. Cusack, Sheen and more. They played best of 9 in those days.  Then I believe they went back to 7 in 1920?  Even with the fix on, the White Sox, at least some of them, had second thoughts and made a bit of a comeback and scared the gamblers to death.  I still believe Houston wins.  But they MUST WIN tonight. Javier will do his job.  Houston best bring their bats.

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

So when--or if--the Phillies win this Series, would it be time to look at the Astros in the same vein as the Atlanta Braves from the 90s, all those division titles & only one ring. I believe Michael Wilbon calls it the "dynasty of one"...

As embarrassing as it is, the same could be said of the Dodgers of the last 10 years and the Angels of the 2000s.

But let's not bury the Asstros yet. I have a feeling this series is far from over.

Edited by Strider

Well, I guess I shouldn't complain anymore about how analytics has ruined sports & particularly baseball, when its been common practice for years to pull starters before the 6th or 7th inning. 

So I doubt there would have been much drama for me last night watching Houston pull their starter after 6 clean innings. I just can't get too jacked up about combined no-nos....

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I guess I shouldn't complain anymore about how analytics has ruined sports & particularly baseball, when its been common practice for years to pull starters before the 6th or 7th inning. 

So I doubt there would have been much drama for me last night watching Houston pull their starter after 6 clean innings. I just can't get too jacked up about combined no-nos....

Exactly what they did with Javier vs Yankees when they no hit them.  Remember that? Early in the year?  When the Yankees were actually hitting. Dusty Baker knows how to manage and he is keeping Javier on ice.  Believe me.