2022 MLB Thread

Walter

The Phillies may have hit 5 homeruns in game 3 but I would be very embarrassed to be the Phillies and their fans to have been the victim of a No-hitter in the World Series the very next day.  The very next day.  Which event will go down in MLB history and be remembered more?  5 Homeruns in a game or a No-hitter?  Somebody asked Schwarber how it felt to be only the second team no-hit in World Series history.  "I really don't give a fuck.  We'll move on to tomorrow.  It's cool.  We'll be in the history books, I guess."  Everybody knows that he does give a fuck.  He is just too embarrassed to admit it.  Honestly, I would be to.  Go Astros!!!

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Congratulations to the Houston Astros.  2022 World Series Champions!!!

Edited to add:  Since my favorite team did not make it to the World Series this year, at least my second favorite team made it and won it.  No alleged cheating involved this year.  Just pure solid baseball: great pitching, hitting and defense.  It also helps when that team throws a no-hitter and their opposition strikes out a World Series record 71 times in just 6 games.  I am proud of my hometown, Houston, Texas.  Again, Congratulations.  

3 hours ago, Strider said:

The good thing about the Phillies losing is that Bryce Harper remains without a World Series ring.

He seems like a good guy as far as I know, but yeah, he's well on his way to becoming another Dale Murphy -- a great ballplayer who never won it all. 

Maybe some will still beat the old rattle about cheating, but I would think the Astros overall accomplishments over the last 5 years has cemented the fact that they are that damn good, and don't need buzzers or garbage cans to dominate.

Plus, another ring in the next few years would definitely solidify them as a dynasty, if some people aren't giving them that label already...

18 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Maybe some will still beat the old rattle about cheating, but I would think the Astros overall accomplishments over the last 5 years has cemented the fact that they are that damn good, and don't need buzzers or garbage cans to dominate.

Plus, another ring in the next few years would definitely solidify them as a dynasty, if some people aren't giving them that label already...

Plenty of post season appearances and success, but they've got one clean Championship. ONE. Even if you give them credit for two, and they get a third, they are not a dynasty. Not even close. Not in my opinion.

The 1949-1953 New York Yankees won FIVE consecutive World Series Championships. THAT is a dynasty. I'd say the minimum criteria to be considered a true dynasty is three consecutive World Championships.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, paul carruthers said:

Dont hold your breath for another ring.  They are still not as good without Correa.  Their pitching was lights out down the stretch.  I do not believe it will hold up. My Orioles gave their pitching staff hell.  Time will catch them.  Like it does everyone. But the cheating was proven.  Not this year but an asterick should be placed next to their last title.  DIRTY AS HELL

On 11/6/2022 at 1:22 AM, kingzoso said:

Edited to add:  Since my favorite team did not make it to the World Series this year, at least my second favorite team made it and won it.  No alleged cheating involved this year.  Just pure solid baseball: great pitching, hitting and defense.  It also helps when that team throws a no-hitter and their opposition strikes out a World Series record 71 times in just 6 games.  I am proud of my hometown, Houston, Texas.  Again, Congratulations.  

I passed through St. Louis in September and caught a game at Busch Stadium against the Reds.  I had a choice of 4 games and was lucky enough to see Albert Pujol's # 698.  The game was sold out, and I had a great time.  Partying in the Ballpark Village was a blast.  Between the Cards & the Reds, I think I was the only one in the stadium not wearing red.  Beautiful stadium and atmosphere.  The only bummer was Molena didn't play.       

22 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

I passed through St. Louis in September and caught a game at Busch Stadium against the Reds.  I had a choice of 4 games and was lucky enough to see Albert Pujol's # 698.  The game was sold out, and I had a great time.  Partying in the Ballpark Village was a blast.  Between the Cards & the Reds, I think I was the only one in the stadium not wearing red.  Beautiful stadium and atmosphere.  The only bummer was Molena didn't play.       

Did you wear a Tigers jersey?   I remember wearing my Orioles jersey in San Fran.  

53 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

It is a great time at Busch Stadium/Ballpark Village. St Louis is a great sports town. Good to see you here Bong-Man! :peace: 

7 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

What a coincidence. My one and only time I saw a game at Busch Stadium involved the Reds and Cards, as well. I had finished boot camp at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri in 1981 and I had a layover in St. Louis on my way home. I had time to take in a Friday night game...St. Louis vs. Cincinnati at the old Busch Stadium with the astroturf. The Cardinals won 7-6, Bruce Sutter getting the save. The next day I was homeward bound.

On 11/10/2022 at 4:44 PM, Strider said:

What a coincidence. My one and only time I saw a game at Busch Stadium involved the Reds and Cards, as well. I had finished boot camp at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri in 1981 and I had a layover in St. Louis on my way home. I had time to take in a Friday night game...St. Louis vs. Cincinnati at the old Busch Stadium with the astroturf. The Cardinals won 7-6, Bruce Sutter getting the save. The next day I was homeward bound.

Cool.  I actually went on a trip to St Louis with my family when I was 9.  I took a picture from the top of the Arch of the old Busch Stadium.  That was a year after we played them in the World Series.  I wanted to replicate that photo with the same shot of the new one, but the line to go up was way too long.  Most people only go up in the Arch once.  It's actually not a very pleasant experience, and the windows to look out are pretty limiting.

The more you're around it, the cooler The Arch gets.  It really is an amazing piece of architecture that has aged quite well.  I knew it was designed by Eero Saarinen, but I knew nothing about the guy, so I googled him while sitting on the riverfront.  Turns out his father was the headmaster at Cranbrook Institute for years, where Eero also taught.  He also designed the GM Tech Center a couple miles from my childhood home, and where my Father worked for 26 years.  Blew my mind.