Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

20 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

The only double lps I listen to with any regularity are Electric Ladyland and Trout Mask Replica. And of course PG. I think the White Album is hugely popular because it's just so damn fun (speaking to a lot of filler tracks here). Like putting on an old Little Richard album or something. Bulletproof? Nah. "Half killer, half filler" for sure. I have to be in the right mood for it, myself. But I get why it would be a favorite for a lot of people.

I also think the argument could be made that part of its popularity is because of it's "eff it, it's just rock and roll" kitchen sink vibe. Whereas earlier Beatles' records are like well-curated masterpieces where you know they really thought over every little detail this one feels looser and in a sense more relatable. More human. Like - "this is us, warts and all". That's my take, anyway.

I forgot to mention a third one I listen to at least a couple times a year, and that's From a Compound Eye by Robert Pollard. I'm sure this will receive blank stares lol. He's not a mainstream name. His music is all over the place, but this one is my fav of his - a proggy but modern sounding record from 2006 with good dollops of punk, pop and psych in the mix. If you like the Who, King Crimson, or Beatles you might enjoy it.

12 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Damn right to all of the above, nothing but an errant tribe of savages out there, no balls, no love, and no class.

Adding, to this - if someone makes noise when they eat or God help me I can see what they're eating .... I have a hard time with that. This also includes people smacking popcorn in the movies and sucking the butter off their meaty animal paws. 🤮

17 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Adding, to this - if someone makes noise when they eat or God help me I can see what they're eating .... I have a hard time with that. This also includes people smacking popcorn in the movies and sucking the butter off their meaty animal paws. 🤮

Which is exactly why I don't go to the Cinema, well one reason. The other being the place is full of people.:blink:

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Petrol now 2 bucks a litre. near on $110 to fill my Mazda 6. News says it could go to 3 bucks a litre. :rant:

Petrol now £1.60 a Litre. No Diesel at the pumps. Energy bills going to DOUBLE on April 1st (unless it's an April fool?), food going up, inflation gonna hit 10%. War on the Continent.

There will be rioting very, very soon. 

10 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Which is exactly why I don't go to the Cinema, well one reason. The other being the place is full of people.:blink:

Haha, same here. I was done with movies way before  covid (like lots of people) unless it was a blockbuster type thing I wanted to see on the big screen. Or some art house type place was playing an old favorite (The Shining, some old  Bogie classic, etc).

18 hours ago, ebk said:

All of these (also minus The Wall) plus, for me:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Jesus Christ Superstar

Judy at Carnegie Hall

Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall

All great ones. "Jesus Christ Superstar" only gets better with age. Ian Gillan is Jesus.

I tend to take these questions as pertaining to rock albums, so I generally leave my jazz and musical picks off my lists. I also stick to studio albums. No live albums and best of/greatest hit comps.

Thinking about some more rock double albums I liked...The Clash's "London Calling", Husker Du's "Zen Arcade", and Minutemen's "Double Nickels on the Dime".

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Last time I was in the theater was when 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' came out. Almost 3 years ago. I remember there were only about 6 people in the theater. 

Shit, that was the last time I went to the movies as well. Great movie BTW.

I agree pretty much with everyone regarding the movie going experience these days. I used to love going to the movies up until smartphones came out, after that, fugetaboutit!!! If I drop $30 for two tickets I expect an usher to be present in the theatre at all times, removing the ingrates who are on their phones, talking, acting like jackasses, etc. But no, ushers nowhere to be found and if you go to the manager to complain they say, "um, I can refund your money if you like." WTF??? How about do your job and kick these troglodytes out. Of course some genius decided to start selling booze at movie theatres now as if things were not bad enough already. This is not Europe. People in the US are mostly entitled idiots who can barely move from point a to b without making a scene, the majority simply cannot handle the responsibility of alcohol in a confined space of which quiet and attention are required. Plus, for the added bonus, due to virtually non-existent gun laws in most of this great nation, the dope playing on their phone might be strapped so asking them to please stop using the phone, throwing popcorn, talking, is taking your life into your own hands. Some old-ass ex-cop just recently shot and killed a moviegoer for the crime of throwing popcorn. The ex-cop was (rightfully so) upset the guy was on his cell phone (the guy was checking on his kid and should have left the theatre to do so), so he told the guy to get off his phone. The guy told him to mind his own business, tossed a popcorn cup at him and the guy shot him and killed him. The ex-cop was in the right up until he murdered the guy for assault via popcorn. Oh, and the ex-cop got off scott-free so if you should feel intimidated by some fellow with popcorn, sour patch kids, gummy bears etc. go ahead and blaze away chappie, LEO's & the justice system got yer back. And of course...it happened in FLORIDA!

Now sit back, unwind, and enjoy your movie going experience 

Edited by BobDobbs

Eminem? Really? Reading this made me wonder when the last time anyone had bothered to check Led Zeppelin's recent sales certifications. 30 years ago Led Zeppelin was firmly number two behind the Beatles and far ahead of whomever was number three. Now, Garth Brooks and the Eagles and more have passed them or are creeping up on them. Also, what does a "sales certification" mean in this day of streams and downloads? 

https://deadline.com/2022/03/eminem-breaks-record-most-gold-platinum-singles-riaa-1234973487/

18 minutes ago, Strider said:

Eminem? Really? Reading this made me wonder when the last time anyone had bothered to check Led Zeppelin's recent sales certifications. 30 years ago Led Zeppelin was firmly number two behind the Beatles and far ahead of whomever was number three. Now, Garth Brooks and the Eagles and more have passed them or are creeping up on them. Also, what does a "sales certification" mean in this day of streams and downloads? 

https://deadline.com/2022/03/eminem-breaks-record-most-gold-platinum-singles-riaa-1234973487/

Never liked Eminem, think his voice is extremely irritating, like a white Easy-E but without any real passion or delivery. Just word salad said with a shitty voice. That's just my opinion. When it comes to good rappers I love Snoop's laid back flow, he has an interesting voice, and he phrases his words very well. Dre is good, dude sounds like he will F you up on every tune, maybe a bit one-dimensional but still, good flow and aggressive delivery. NWA, Public Enemy, 2Pac, and of course Slick Rick, 2 $hortt, & Phife Dawg are all great. Another overrated rapper was Biggie. The guy had good flow, good beats, but I could not understand half of what the dude said, he sounded like he was rapping with one of Lil' Kim's tit's in his mouth.

Eminem...Pfffft.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

All great ones. "Jesus Christ Superstar" only gets better with age. Ian Gillan is Jesus.

I tend to take these questions as pertaining to rock albums, so I generally leave my jazz and musical picks off my lists. I also stick to studio albums. No live albums and best of/greatest hit comps.

Thinking about some more rock double albums I liked...The Clash's "London Calling", Husker Du's "Zen Arcade", and Minutemen's "Double Nickels on the Dime".

This has always been my take as well with this type of question .. guess I'm a purist lol. There was a period of time when I used to listen to the Minutemen often - like a good 2 year period where they were in constant rotation in the 'ol ipod shuffle (going back to the 2000s here). I would call Double Nickels the greatest - and best - double lp of any punk/post-punk band, ever. I've always felt Zen Arcade was good but hugely overrated. I'm more of a New Day Rising kinda guy.

6 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

This has always been my take as well with this type of question .. guess I'm a purist lol. There was a period of time when I used to listen to the Minutemen often - like a good 2 year period where they were in constant rotation in the 'ol ipod shuffle (going back to the 2000s here). I would call Double Nickels the greatest - and best - double lp of any punk/post-punk band, ever. I've always felt Zen Arcade was good but hugely overrated. I'm more of a New Day Rising kinda guy.

I won't argue against "New Day Rising", mate.

16 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

I just texted a random thought to someone then realized I needed to share it on this thread. 😂

I love it when toast comes out absolutely perfect. It's the little things.

Powdered_toastman.png.7710f6b0f8a082879a2b1562ea71ae9a.png

31 minutes ago, Strider said:

Powdered_toastman.png.7710f6b0f8a082879a2b1562ea71ae9a.png

Haha! What's with his underwear? P and M?

EDIT: nvm just googled .. Powdered Toast Man! Now I have Cinnamon Toast on the brain ...

Edited by 1975NQ

11 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Haha! What's with his underwear? P and M?

EDIT: nvm just googled .. Powdered Toast Man! Now I have Cinnamon Toast on the brain ...

Good ol' classic Ren & Stimpy. Might be before your time.

20 hours ago, jabe said:

Fess up.
Who still has yesteryear crumbs of doob in their double albums?
The perfect vehicle to put in a small pile of weed, tilt at a slight angle, use your preferred pack of rolling papers to guide 
the seeds to the spine of the album.
Now that takes me way back....

My old copy of "Yessongs" still smells of ganja.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Am I missing something with Ian G? I personally can’t stand his voice. I’m not debating his influence. I’m just not impressed with his voice in the slightest. That’s not to say I’m an authority on anything. But I posted this on another topic in this forum, I feel as if he was always trying to imitate someone and did a terrible job at it. His voice and I apologize for this, sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. I just don’t find him to have a good singing voice at all. Sorry if I’m offending anyone. But to even compare him to Robert is an insult to me. 

Sorry for the derailment of the random thread. I guess I just really dislike that man voice. 

8 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Shit, that was the last time I went to the movies as well. Great movie BTW.

I agree pretty much with everyone regarding the movie going experience these days. I used to love going to the movies up until smartphones came out, after that, fugetaboutit!!! If I drop $30 for two tickets I expect an usher to be present in the theatre at all times, removing the ingrates who are on their phones, talking, acting like jackasses, etc. But no, ushers nowhere to be found and if you go to the manager to complain they say, "um, I can refund your money if you like." WTF??? How about do your job and kick these troglodytes out. Of course some genius decided to start selling booze at movie theatres now as if things were not bad enough already. This is not Europe. People in the US are mostly entitled idiots who can barely move from point a to b without making a scene, the majority simply cannot handle the responsibility of alcohol in a confined space of which quiet and attention are required. Plus, for the added bonus, due to virtually non-existent gun laws in most of this great nation, the dope playing on their phone might be strapped so asking them to please stop using the phone, throwing popcorn, talking, is taking your life into your own hands. Some old-ass ex-cop just recently shot and killed a moviegoer for the crime of throwing popcorn. The ex-cop was (rightfully so) upset the guy was on his cell phone (the guy was checking on his kid and should have left the theatre to do so), so he told the guy to get off his phone. The guy told him to mind his own business, tossed a popcorn cup at him and the guy shot him and killed him. The ex-cop was in the right up until he murdered the guy for assault via popcorn. Oh, and the ex-cop got off scott-free so if you should feel intimidated by some fellow with popcorn, sour patch kids, gummy bears etc. go ahead and blaze away chappie, LEO's & the justice system got yer back. And of course...it happened in FLORIDA!

Now sit back, unwind, and enjoy your movie going experience 

How's that diversity and inclusion working out for ya?