A question about the use of Zep songs..

MHD

We are all familiar with the begging and pleading video that Jack Black did to persuade LZ to let him use Immigrant Song in School Of Rock...well, I was watching BBC1 tonight and a trailer for their forthcoming new dramas came on with Misty Mountain Hop playing away in the background!

Is it a different procedure to apply for songs to be used in movies? Or is it that Zep are more "relaxed" now about how and where their music is being used...I really can't imagine the head honcho at the BBC on his knees :lol:

Btw, it was definitely the Real McCoy.

There's been several Zep pieces used recently on BBC trailers, as well as the one you mentioned, Whole Lotta Love was used for a sports trailer before Christmas and again for the Pop Brittania trails... and remember that version of Kasmir the Beeb used for the 2002 World Cup? That rocked!

I think after those magnificent BBC sessions, there would be a no contest situation......In a Motion Picture situation, Zeppelin needs a "Groovy" flow to take part....People shouldnt have to ask for it but yet respect it.

Note: The Janice Joplin type of "Groovy".....watch some Dick Cavett

They're still using WLL as backing when they do a trailer for up coming sport on the BBC. I also saw a trailer for a BBC drama called Lark Rise To Candleford which used MMH as it's backing music.

I wondered whether it's got anything to do with the deal to put the songs out digitally.

I'm sure I've read that the BBC has some kind of legal dispensation in the UK to use any music they want! Now I've written that down it looks absolutely ridiculous. Hang on, I'll Google.

EDIT: No, it looks like that's an urban myth. It is possible to use very short clips of pieces of music, but I think they'd have to license it for a trailer-length piece.

There was a documentary about Sigur Ros on the telly the other day and they were talking about how they always refuse to license their music for adverts, but what's happened is that advertisers have simply cloned their sound and used that instead. Since I saw that programme I seem to be noticing Sigur Ros sounding music all over the place. Must be painful for them.

There was a documentary about Sigur Ros on the telly the other day and they were talking about how they always refuse to license their music for adverts, but what's happened is that advertisers have simply cloned their sound and used that instead. Since I saw that programme I seem to be noticing Sigur Ros sounding music all over the place. Must be painful for them.

Any artist/author has a copyright on their work as soon as it is created. No-one can copy it or use it without permission. An author can sell their copyright outright, or can sell subsidiary rights. There are 2 copyrights associated with a music recording, 1) the song itself - the words and music and 2) the recording of that song.

One way producers get around this sometimes costly process is to do as you said, get some session musicians to come in and play a similar sounding song to the one they want, but can't/won't pay for.

To use a song without permission is theft. It's a safe bet that anyone using a Zeppelin song is paying at a premium, including the BBC.

:o i saw that too its craaazy they didn't do such a good song liberty. Poor Jack Black begging infront of screaming fans, who made several references to Led Zep in School of Rock, I doubt that the BBC series thingy will lol and if they do i will deffo watch it :D they maybe want more recognition or summat, or maybe they were drugged and forced into it and thats why the let the XFactor, shrek n that rap "artist" use they're songs too. Ahhh well they're ZEPPELIN. They can do whatever they want.

We are all familiar with the begging and pleading video that Jack Black did to persuade LZ to let him use Immigrant Song in School Of Rock...well, I was watching BBC1 tonight and a trailer for their forthcoming new dramas came on with Misty Mountain Hop playing away in the background!

Is it a different procedure to apply for songs to be used in movies? Or is it that Zep are more "relaxed" now about how and where their music is being used...I really can't imagine the head honcho at the BBC on his knees :lol:

Btw, it was definitely the Real McCoy.

I'm still wondering why the band allowed a car company to use "Rock and Roll" for a car commercial. It just doesn't sound like something Jimmy would agree to.

I think after those magnificent BBC sessions, there would be a no contest situation......In a Motion Picture situation, Zeppelin needs a "Groovy" flow to take part....People shouldnt have to ask for it but yet respect it.

Note: The Janice Joplin type of "Groovy".....watch some Dick Cavett

Those interviews are great. The ones about where she talks about her high school are good. She really opened up about it, I can't find the complete high school reunion interview though.

P.S., it's spelled Janis.

No! No! Not guitar hero! In my opinion, that would taint their art. Besides, none of these kids could keep up with Jimmy's work. Should they include a bow?

oh my god......"guitar hero" with a zep song and a bow accessory....

i wish i'd thought of that.

oh my god......"guitar hero" with a zep song and a bow accessory....

i wish i'd thought of that.

:lol: oooh! id buy that for my Wii console.... i`d stand under the light in the living room, flicking the light switch on/off...nearest i could get to a laser beam!

I love Led Zeppelin and I love their music, however I do not like it being commercialized. I think that there music is just too legendary for some regular Joe Schmoe to use liek Jack Black. I think that music such as their's should be left alone and used by the artists themselves.

I would love for some Led Zeppelin songs to be in Rock Band or Guitar Hero but then it makes the music seem like child's play and many people don't like the music because it is amazing but rather because they got 100% on that song in Guitar Hero. Thats not what the music is for it is there for people to listen to and appreciate. Then people would most likely not like Led Zeppelin but rather just that song because it was in Guitar Hero.

All in all I think that Led Zeppelin's music should not be commercialized due to the fact that it is just so legendary.

Archived