For Your Life lyric question

Ian Smith

Some guy on Twitter posted the For Your Life version from the O2 and he quoted "cocai, cocai, cocaine".  I wrote back that he was singing "Cook it cook it cook it"". We went back and forth. It did not end well. 

I wrote to him that clearly the next line goes "Could not stand to try it fry it" referencing cooking. 

What do you all hear? Seems clear to me. 

And damn this tune is in my Top 10.

Oh I'd like to have you, baby, but I don't know what to doooooooooo, yeah, Sometime baby, nothin' I could doooooooooooo 

35 minutes ago, dave2007 said:

Cocaine  is correct. The song is about the perils of drug abuse not cooking food. 

For further confirmation look at the live performance at the O2 ....the  'white lines'  on the giant screens as they perform it.

Maybe some of you don't know that cooking cocaine is a real thing. Its called free basing. You mix it with a bit of baking soda and water and you heat it until all the impurities in the coke are "cooked" out until all you have left is a hard rock of what they call crack cocaine.

45 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Maybe some of you don't know that cooking cocaine is a real thing. Its called free basing. You mix it with a bit of baking soda and water and you heat it until all the impurities in the coke are "cooked" out until all you have left is a hard rock of what they call crack cocaine.

True..and I believe that is what the "could not stand to try it, FRY  it"  lyric refers to.  But re the line he asked about I would say that Plant sings " Don;t you want cocai, cocai,  cocaine"   not " don;t you want  cook , cook it, cook it"   

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

It's 'cocaine' in the original, but it does sound like 'cook it' at the 02 - can't hear an 'n' in what Robert sings and it sounds alot like it ends with 'it', so...

Just watched the O2 performance a few times and I still think he says "Cook it" 

Honestly still don't hear a clear Cocaine on the studio version but a huge thanks to everyone here who helped out. I appreciate your ears. 

8 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

The online lyrics say cook it and that's what it always sounded like to my ears as well. 

Honestly me too but on a few lyric sites it does say Cocaine. And on the O2 , to my ears anyway, he clearly says Cook it so why would he change it from the original? I am not convinced. Thanks Hummingbird. 

16 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

The thing is everybody knows what he's talking about so they assume he's saying cocaine  co caine co caine co caine I think he's saying cook ket cook ket co cai  I do not hear the N in the last syllable but his annunciation could just be trailing off.

Untitled 2_01.ogg

Love the sample. Thanks my friend. 

I never heard cook it, I always heard cocaine. I never thought twice about it because of Plant’s  interviews about the LA cocaine scene combined with him making sounds/gestures and pointing to his nose.  But Robert is also talking about crystal meth in the song so that could also be what the cooking refers to if he sung that.  

2 hours ago, DallasTexan said:

I never heard cook it, I always heard cocaine. I never thought twice about it because of Plant’s  interviews about the LA cocaine scene combined with him making sounds/gestures and pointing to his nose.  But Robert is also talking about crystal meth in the song so that could also be what the cooking refers to if he sung that.  

💯

6 minutes ago, Stormwatcher said:

It is COCAINE.

💯

On 9/10/2022 at 5:26 AM, hummingbird69 said:

I am going to try that. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions!

5 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Wow, the angry caps convinced me............. 

Why do you presume Stormwatcher was angry? Just because a person posts a word in all-caps does not signify anger. It could merely be emphasis. That is how I took Stormwatcher's post...emphasizing his answer with neutral emotion, not anger.

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

All of this just over how a "line" is pronounced in a song.

this. . The fact the through all the studio stuff Robert either gets buried in the mix, has a accent , has to make stuff work in the song, annunciation, or just being a singer. .

Ex. Houses Of The Holy "Satan and Man" . . 

Ex. The Ocean  "high hopes hailla balll" (or whatever)

I think it's COCAINE but it sounds like cook it, cookie, co- cay, etc. . 

3 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

this. . The fact the through all the studio stuff Robert either gets buried in the mix, has a accent , has to make stuff work in the song, annunciation, or just being a singer. .

Ex. Houses Of The Holy "Satan and Man" . . 

Ex. The Ocean  "high hopes hailla balll" (or whatever)

I think it's COCAINE but it sounds like cook it, cookie, co- cay, etc. . 

It's tough to distinguish what he is saying on many songs at certain points in them at times. Immigrant Song is another one with several lines like this.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Hahaha. I see what you did there, SuperDave. Line...good one.

I was going to post about one of my Robert Plant encounters but sod all that now.

I knew you'd get the joke. Thought more would catch that.

I want to hear about your Robert Plant encounter!