1970-04-12 :: EVSD :: Bloomington

lololabrute

Very interesting, sounds good. I don´t know if there any photos of the Bloomington concert are in circulation, but the photo on the cover of the deluxe box (showing Pagey in his nice colorful, patchy trousers) is definitely from March 8. 1970, Circus Krone, Munich, Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to it once straight off. Tomorrow I will dig into it deeper. I'd call the instrument/vocal mix pretty solid except is Bonzo WAY too fucking low (my most common complaint). Luckily there's an excellent Moby you can crank. I think it's amazing find, and a must-have for fans of America '70 shows. Intriguingly different from other great shows from this tour---but '70 shows have so much room for "choppin' and changin'," which is why my passion for '70 grows over time.  Sound quality  is comparable to other "very good" audience recordings from '70, except Bonzo. First couple numbers have heavy bass distortion but I can't tell if this is the PA Plant hilariously complains about (see "Dazed"), or the tape itself. I'm no expert. White Summer, SIBLY, Heartbreaker, Bring It on Home and Moby stand out on first listen. Makes me want to immerse myself in '70 for a while. Would love to read what others think.

• 3 weeks later...

This has maybe my new favorite version of Since I’ve been loving you. Fantastic! The pace, the vocal delivery is out of this world. I would also mention that Jimmy’s playing is slightly different from any version and it might be my favorite interpretation from him on this song. Obviously John and JPJ are equally magnificent. Just a stunning version. 

• 4 weeks later...

Something unusual to share about this particular recording is that it was broadcast live on the radio apparently, and Led Zeppelin agreed to this. Knowing what we all know about Peter Grant, I thought I would share that. I would also say it adds a slightly annoying aspect to the recording because you can hear the call letters mumbled into the recording every so often. I understand it was well intended, but I’m just reporting the facts here.

Zepfan did a nice interview with the taper: