Lavigne settles 'Girlfriend' lawsuit

The Pagemeister

Lavigne settles 'Girlfriend' lawsuit

e010933A.jpg

TORONTO - Punky pop star Avril Lavigne has reached a settlement in a lawsuit that accused her of plagiarizing her summer hit single, "Girlfriend."

As a result, claims that '70s rock band the Rubinoos were ripped off have been dropped. Songwriters Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer charged that Lavigne's boppy track sounded suspiciously like their 1979 single, "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend."

Rubinoos lawyer Nicholas Carlin says a confidential settlement has been reached but could not comment further. A spokesperson for Lavigne could not immediately be reached.

A settlement does not necessarily indicate an admission of copyright infringement.

Lavigne has said she'd never heard the Rubinoos song, while her manager, Terry McBride, has said he consulted a musicologist who found no similarities between the songs.

Still, McBride admitted he would consider settling the matter out of court to avoid a costly legal battle.

Whatever the Rubinos guys got for this is too much. They are lucky.

The two songs don't sound the same, and it's pretty unlikely that Avril Lavigne had ever heard of Rubinos. <_<

She doesn't write her own music. So what difference does it make if she knew who they were or not.

And that song is probably the worst song I've ever heard. I'm sure she knows nothing about Zeppelin.

Yet another teen pop star poseur despite her being marketed as quite the opposite. One must wonder if she's even heard one note of Led Zeppelin music.

Oh, come on. She's the ANTI-Britney!

</sarcasm>

why would you say that when in fact your wrong! did you know you where wrong and just trying to make her look useless or where you just assuming she don't write her own songs!

bottom line she in fact writes her own songs!

B) he wasn't (avril love doll lavigne.

You are joking right? Why in the hell does she pay songwriting teams for? Do you not understand the concept of a paid Song-writer. Do you know who the Matrix is? They wrote songs for her. Read the words I just posted. "They Wrote Songs For Her".

You must be some Avril Fanboy/girl. The same way Britney Spears fans believe that she is a good mother.

Joe Walsh writes his own songs.

Avril Lavigne pays people to write songs for her. There have been a few paid songwriters to come fourth and say that she helps with a few words, but that's about it.

Get a fucking clue before you speak.

I found this on Wikipedia. This person obviously was stating the truth (or at least what she felt was the truth) until she was threatened with a lawsuit. By a person who could obviously afford better attorneys (Avril Lavigne).

"I mean, Avril, songwriter? Avril doesn't really sit and write songs by herself or anything. Avril will also cross the ethical line and no one says anything. That's why I'll never work with her again. I sent her a song two years ago called 'Contagious', and I just saw the tracklisting to this album and there's a song called 'Contagious' on it – and my name's not on it. What do you do with that? See, I won't [call the lawyers], I'll just tell you. Art should not be subject to that kind of controversy."

I found this on Wikipedia. This person obviously was stating the truth (or at least what she felt was the truth) until she was threatened with a lawsuit. By a person who could obviously afford better attorneys (Avril Lavigne).

"I mean, Avril, songwriter? Avril doesn't really sit and write songs by herself or anything. Avril will also cross the ethical line and no one says anything. That's why I'll never work with her again. I sent her a song two years ago called 'Contagious', and I just saw the tracklisting to this album and there's a song called 'Contagious' on it – and my name's not on it. What do you do with that? See, I won't [call the lawyers], I'll just tell you. Art should not be subject to that kind of controversy."

www.gocopyright.com

There are also three different songs titled 'Gloria'; one is by Van Morrison and Them, one is by the Cadillacs, and another is by Laura Branigan.

'Contagious' is a common word, so you probably cannot copyright the title. If you own a copyright of the lyrics and they are identical, you could possibly have a cause of action, and then you would need to talk to your lawyer.

www.gocopyright.com

There are also three different songs titled 'Gloria'; one is by Van Morrison and Them, one is an earlier doo-wop version, and another is by Laura Branigan.

'Contagious' is a common word, so you probably cannot copyright the title. If you own a copyright of the lyrics and they are identical, you could possibly have a cause of action, and then you would need to talk to your lawyer.

I don't think you get the point she is trying to make.

And that point is?

Actually, I was probably just making my own point, that is that it's easier to copyright the lyrics than it is to copyright the title of a song, because the title is often too common of a word.

I think she was saying that as far as the track listing goes, it's ironic that there happened to be a song with the same title, that she gave her. And that was just the track listing. I'm guessing if the track listing was the same, the song probably wouldn't be too far off, from the one she submitted to Avril.

Who even gives a shit? :lol:

I give a shit. Because this kind of crap is only helping the downfall of good music, by people who aren't creative enough to come up with material themselves.

And then they force feed kids this shit on MTV. How do you think a hack like this sold so many records? Because channels like MTV play this shit non-stop, when they do play videos.

I give a shit. Because this kind of crap is only helping the downfall of good music, by people who aren't creative enough to come up with material themselves.

And then they force feed kids this shit on MTV. How do you think a hack like this sold so many records? Because channels like MTV play this shit non-stop, when they do play videos.

My apologies. Looking at it from your standpoint- and for that matter I'm a musician myself who should appreciate the gravity of this shit- I retract my statement. I'm just so fucking burnt out reading and hearing about this kind of horse shit, that's all. That's been my biggest bitch for years now, how MTV peddles this crap.

Sorry. :blush:

My apologies. Looking at it from your standpoint- and for that matter I'm a musician myself who should appreciate the gravity of this shit- I retract my statement. I'm just so fucking burnt out reading and hearing about this kind of horse shit, that's all. That's been my biggest bitch for years now, how MTV peddles this crap.

No worries. This world is in a sad state, no matter what medium you look at.

There's no music on MTV. It's all dating shows now!

I think she was saying that as far as the track listing goes, it's ironic that there happened to be a song with the same title, that she gave her. And that was just the track listing. I'm guessing if the track listing was the same, the song probably wouldn't be too far off, from the one she submitted to Avril.

There is more than one version of the song 'Contagious'; one is by Avril Lavigne, and there is another recorded by the Isley Brothers. Each song has different lyrics.

If the lyrics are protected by a copyright, someone should review them to see if there is a match beyond the title.

Archived