Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

On the Ask Fred page there is a small piece about a Gutarist by the name of Rob Ashton who played in a Band called Yemen who claims to have auditioned as a second Gutarist for Zeppelin !!!!!..One for SAJ maybe..

Jimmy has said he did have fleeting thoughts of bringing in a second guitarist mid-70s, but I seriously doubt it led to a proper audition for anyone...it could have been a jam of sort. In Nov/Dec '74 Mike Corby of The Baby's jammed with Zeppelin in rehearsals on and off for about ten days, but that had more to do with Jimmy wanting to purchase Corby's original three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty (which Corby reluctantly did sell to Jimmy for 1,000 pounds) and nothing to do with bringing in a second guitarist.

Jimmy has said he did have fleeting thoughts of bringing in a second guitarist mid-70s, but I seriously doubt it led to a proper audition for anyone...it could have been a jam of sort. In Nov/Dec '74 Mike Corby of The Baby's jammed with Zeppelin in rehearsals on and off for about ten days, but that had more to do with Jimmy wanting to purchase Corby's original three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty (which Corby reluctantly did sell to Jimmy for 1,000 pounds) and nothing to do with bringing in a second guitarist.

ga_gp_corby_story.jpg

It wasn't a Black Beauty that Corby sold, it was the other red Les Paul that was only seen in 1977.

Is that true that Bonzo was beyond mad at Page and Jones for not being at Plants son funeral?

How come JPJ has no credit for numbers like Friends,Rain Song,Nobodys Fault But Mine,Achilles Last Stand and few more?

99% of harmonics came from him and I've heard every song by him and I believe he was responsible for most of the single note stuff.

ga_gp_corby_story.jpg

I see Corby refers to an old Marshall Major 200 amp Page acquired from Jimi Hendrix...I find that interesting as according to Jimmy he only saw Hendrix momentarily in a NY club (they did not converse) not long before he passed away. So the mystery becomes how and

when did he acquire that amp "from Hendrix"?

I see Corby refers to an old Marshall Major 200 amp Page acquired from Jimi Hendrix...I find that interesting as according to Jimmy he only saw Hendrix momentarily in a NY club (they did not converse) not long before he passed away. So the mystery becomes how and

when did he acquire that amp "from Hendrix"?

Maybe Jimmy bought it from Hendrix's family after his death?

Maybe Jimmy bought it from Hendrix's family after his death?

That's my hunch, that perhaps some of Hendrix's gear in London or New York was liquidated after his passing. Seems more likely the seller would be an associate of Alan Douglas rather than the family. I'm just speculating. I think we all know Hendrix' personal, legal & financial affairs at the time of his passing were a mess and some of it took decades to sort out.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, how much do you know about the CODA sessions? What are the actual dates Pagey was in the studio sorting and mixing, overdubbing etc? I've never seen much posted on the CODA sessions.

The session dates for Coda remain unconfirmed. I too would like confirmation of the dates Robert recorded vocals for Walter's Walk,

as we know for a fact it was after 1980. I can tell you in March 1982 Jimmy & Robert met with 'Tight But Loose' fanzine's Dave Lewis at the Swan Song office in Fulham to review photos for the album jacket.

Wow looks like we have a real mystery here indeed.

The session dates for Coda remain unconfirmed. I too would like confirmation of the dates Robert recorded vocals for Walter's Walk,

as we know for a fact it was after 1980. I can tell you in March 1982 Jimmy & Robert met with 'Tight But Loose' fanzine's Dave Lewis at the Swan Song office in Fulham to review photos for the album jacket.

Robert Plant, Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, December 17th 1987

According to Dave Lewis' book Led Zeppelin - The Concert File this was one of two warm-up dates that month for Robert Plant and his new band (Doug Boyle, Chris Blackwell, Charlie Jones & Phil Johnstone). It's my understanding this being a low-key warm-up gig they may have been billed as Band of Joy but this news report quotes the hall's manager suggesting the gig was to be a reformation of the original Band of Joy.

I'm seeking to confirm which publication carried the article, if tickets for the gig stated "Band of Joy" and if anyone who went - to include the hall manager - was surprised at the gig to find it was in fact a new lineup. Photo accompanying the report seems to show at least two members of the new lineup; Robert's sense of humor once again!

19871211Unknown.jpg

Unknown article, December 11th 1987

LeasCliffHallDetailed.jpg

Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone

Leascliffhall.jpg

LeasCliffHall3.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...

I show his next gig was cancelled (Kansas Coliseum in Wichita, KS on 11/18/88). Does anyone in Kansas know what reason, if any, was given? Perhaps this was to allow him to attend the Silver Cleft Awards after-show in New York on 11/17/88.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized I already have the answer: he played the Lloyd Noble Arena in Norman, OK on 11/18/88 instread.

Recent findings:

The Daily Oklahoman

October 8, 1988

Drummer's Fall Cancels Concert

NORMAN - Fans attending Robert Plant's ""Now and Zen'' concert Friday in Norman got ""later or never'' instead, after drummer Chris Blackwell fell backstage and broke his wrist, causing the concert to be canceled.

Officials announced the cancellation about 30 minutes after the opening band, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, finished.

""The news is not good. I'm sorry, but we are going to reschedule this at the first opportunity,'' said Lloyd Noble director Jim Dunn.

The crowd was disgruntled, but left in an orderly fashion.

The drummer was taken to Norman Regional Hospital where it was determined his wrist was fractured.

A date for a new Plant concert was not announced, but Dunn said one may be forthcoming.

------------------------------

The Daily Oklahoman

October 14, 1988

Local Concert Scene Finally Gets a Break - a Bad One

by Chuck Davis

THERE were over 8,000 people in the room with him, but Jim Dunn was one of the loneliest guys in Norman last Friday night.

When he walked up on the stage at Lloyd Noble Center to announce that the Robert Plant concert would not go on, I felt sorry for the guy.

Finally, we get a big-time concert here. Finally, we get a big crowd. And, finally, ... no, wait a minute!

Just moments before Plant was scheduled to perform, drummer Chris Blackwell suffered a fractured wrist. "

"Unable to perform'' without Blackwell, the Plant show was canceled.

""It's an unfortunate situation,'' Dunn said, earlier this week. ""But that's why they call it show business.

""I was joking with Butch and Ben (the notorious McCain Brothers). I told them at least we wouldn't have to worry about being rained out in Lloyd Noble.

""And then this (the injury) happens.''

Plant has promised to return for a concert Nov. 18. Those who still have their ticket stubs from last week's show will be admitted.

Those unable to attend the Nov. 18 concert can receive a full refund _ until Nov. 7. For information: 325-4666.

""We sold something like 8,150 tickets,'' said Dunn. ""We had over 1,400 walkup sales the day of the show. That's encouraging, especially since the walkup market has been so depressed in this area the last year or so.''

Dunn, as Lloyd Noble Center director, handled a tough situation about the best anyone can.

But, I've got a few unanswered questions... mainly for Robert Plant.

We came to see Robert Plant - and all we got was Joan Jett. Granted, Jett put on a good show. But couldn't Plant have gone on without Blackwell?

Wasn't there one drummer in Norman Friday night who could have filled in, just for one show? How about Jett's drummer. He wasn't busy.

Hey, we're the ones who made Plant what he is. We buy his records. We buy the tickets to his show. We deserve something!

Plant could have come out himself and announced the show ""must not go on.'' That's the very least he could have done.

Let him explain the squirrely situation about Blackwell's injury.

Plus, do you really think Plant will be back? We'll have to wait and see...

I hope so, but with our luck on concerts recently...

The Daily Oklahoman

November 18, 1988

Plant Coming Back

NORMAN - Let's hope that the second time is a charm. Robert Plant is scheduled to perform here at Lloyd Noble Center tonight. Opening act is Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. Showtime is 8 p.m.The concert, originally scheduled in October, was postponed after drummer Chris Blackwell was injured backstage. Jett had already performed her set.Tickets stubs saved from the first concert will be good for admission this time, too.

The Daily Oklahoman

November 20, 1988

Plant Belts Out Spirited Tunes To Appreciative, Rockin' Crowd

By Chuck Davis

NORMAN - Let's set the record straight right now:

Robert Plant makes good on his promises.

He said he would return to Oklahoma, and he did.

If you remember, Plant's concert last month was postponed at the last minute because of an injury to drummer Chris Blackwell.

At the time, Plant vowed to return.

So, when Friday night rolled around and Plant was in place at Lloyd Noble Center, some 10,000 folks were ready.

The wait was worth it.

Plant gave the crowd his all, playing a spirited, 17-song set that lasted almost two hours.

Opening act Legacy, an Oklahoma City band that was a late replacement for Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, disappointed no one. Legacy's six-song, 33-minute show set the tone for the dynamite show that was to follow.

As for Plant, he put together a tight, well executed set. From classic Lep Zeppelin tunes (""Goin' to California,''

""Heartbreaker,'' ""Immigrant Song'') to current Plant solo hits (""Dance on My Own,'' ""In the Mood,'' ""Ship of Fools,'' ""Heaven Knows,'' ""Tall Cool One''), he kept fans dancing in the aisles.

Plant has had a long career in rock music. His latest album, Now and Zen, provided the material for about one-third of Friday's show.

Guitarist Doug Boyle, bass player Charlie Jones, drummer-percussionist Blackwell and keyboard player Phil Johnstone have been joined by fill-in drummer Pat Torpey to produce one of the best sounds in rock 'n' roll today.

In fact, Plant was called back for not one, but two, encores.

The first time back, he dazzled the crowd with "Big Log'' and an old Led Zep tune.

The second time back, he finished with Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown.''

The next concert that hits town will be hard-pressed to top this one.

------------------

All digitext content courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

Sorry I'm new here and not sure this is the right thread. in Tolinski's book it is mentioned that J.Page was going through a divorce around 1974 or 1975. I thought that statement very surprising since he was not supposed to be married then. Is it just a mistake?

Sorry I'm new here and not sure this is the right thread. in Tolinski's book it is mentioned that J.Page was going through a divorce around 1974 or 1975. I thought that statement very surprising since he was not supposed to be married then. Is it just a mistake?

Welcome pj040403. If Brad Tolinki's new book asserts Jimmy was going through a divorce around '74-'75 that is completely false. He and Charlotte Martin did go through a rough patch at the time, and Jimmy briefly ran off with Ronnie Wood's wife Krissie, but he and Charlotte were not married. Furthermore, their relationship continued into the 1980s. Others claim they were in a common-law marriage, to which I can only say so far as know Jimmy never introduced her to anyone as "my wife", electing to use "my lady" instead. As I recall in one music magazine interview he alludes to Charlotte as an "ex-wife", but I believe that had everything to do with the expediency of casually conversing with an American journalist as opposed to making a purposeful statement of fact.

Edited by SteveAJones

Thanks for your quick answer. It was certainly a mistake then. I've just found another thread in this forum mentioning it as well.

I'm surprised to hear of an error this obvious in the book as Brad Tolinski has enjoyed unfettered access to Jimmy Page for many years. However, I don't have the book yet so I don't know for certain if it's a quote from Jimmy or not but it sounds like it isn't.

Well, it is presented as a quote from Jimmy himself, that's the point I found odd. (excerpt from p147) "The Earl's Court show in particular hit home. I'd just gone through a divorce and that was the last show of the 1975 tour. I remember I decided to travel, because there was nothing really keeping me home. Shortly after that, Robert had his accident..."