Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Do you have a date for the 1979 Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef awards attended by Robert and Jonesy (and possibly others) ?

I show June 28, 1979 at the International Hotel; Robert & JPJ.

And can you confirm if the Rockpile gig that the whole band attended at the Hammersmith Pallais in 1979 was on June 1st?

I show June 26, 1979; all also attended the after-show party at the Clarendon.

Hi Steve, just wondering if yourself or anyone can vouch for Jimmy meeting Amado Crowley, in the early 70's?? Apparantly Jimmy offered him £5000 for a set of tarot cards, which he refused. £5000 being a hell of lot more than its worth nowadays too!. Just wondered if anyone has anymore knowledge of this. Ive never doubted Amado in this, jus wondered if anyone has anymore on it.

Cheers.

Hi Steve, just wondering if yourself or anyone can vouch for Jimmy meeting Amado Crowley, in the early 70's?? Apparantly Jimmy offered him £5000 for a set of tarot cards, which he refused. £5000 being a hell of lot more than its worth nowadays too! Just wondered if anyone has anymore knowledge of this. Ive never doubted Amado in this, jus wondered if anyone has anymore on it.

Cheers.

Hello, Horus777

Unfortunately I have nothing on file to substantiate this or any other encounter between them. So far as I know Jimmy has never mentioned Amado Crowley to the press, but he's undoubtedly aware of him. Andrew Standish (b. 1930, d. 2010) claimed to be an illegitimate son of Aleister Crowley and changed his name to Amado Crowley in 1971. So it's plausible he and Jimmy may have met at some point in the 70s, and Jimmy did have a voracious appetite for collecting Crowley items at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

In looking at the dates of the middle leg of the '77 tour, am wondering if Zep/Peter Grant had tried to schedule more concert dates, and wasn't able to book any other dates? For example, Zep go from June 3 in Tampa to June 7 in New York, and then from June 14 in New York to June 19 in San Diego.

This sticks out somewhat when you look at the tour dates in general in '77, and outside of the breaks between the 2nd and 3rd legs, you don't see nearly as many off days on the 1st and 3rd legs as you do on the 2nd leg, as noted above. I also recall Zep scheduling Toronto in the original itinerary, so maybe between Tampa and New York, or the last date in New York and San Diego, they tried to schedule that date (and Dayton, Ohio was another original '77 itinerary date, maybe they were trying to get that in there?). I do note the families coming over for Disneyworld visit, so that may have contributed too (which may have been after the North Carolina date on Bonzo's birthday or immediately after Tampa).

Steve,

In looking at the dates of the middle leg of the '77 tour, am wondering if Zep/Peter Grant had tried to schedule more concert dates, and wasn't able to book any other dates? For example, Zep go from June 3 in Tampa to June 7 in New York, and then from June 14 in New York to June 19 in San Diego.

This sticks out somewhat when you look at the tour dates in general in '77, and outside of the breaks between the 2nd and 3rd legs, you don't see nearly as many off days on the 1st and 3rd legs as you do on the 2nd leg, as noted above. I also recall Zep scheduling Toronto in the original itinerary, so maybe between Tampa and New York, or the last date in New York and San Diego, they tried to schedule that date (and Dayton, Ohio was another original '77 itinerary date, maybe they were trying to get that in there?). I do note the families coming over for Disneyworld visit, so that may have contributed too (which may have been after the North Carolina date on Bonzo's birthday or immediately after Tampa).

The off days between June 1st - 7th seem to be on account of the families having come over. Everyone was checked into a Miami Beach hotel following the NC date. I show the trip to Orlando for Disney World was just prior to the June 3rd Tampa Stadium concert.

The days off between NYC & San Diego were spent at leisure in and around Los Angeles. Robert played football (soccer) with Rod Stewart, then he and Rod went to Stewart's home in Malibu to watch matches on television before going out to an English pub.

It's my understanding the postponed Toronto and Dayton dates would not have been rescheduled prior to August, then the death of Karac Plant ruled it out altogether.

This is consistent with what I believe to be the facts too. Enrolled in Sutton Art College circa Sept '60 after having left Neil Christian and the Crusaders following a bad bout of glandular fever. Tenure at art college also lasted about 18 months, but he continued to

be involved in music during this time, for example rehearsing with Cyril Davies and Nicky Hopkins for Davies band (Jimmy declined to join), accompanying beat poet Royston Ellis on accoustic guitar, and listening to records at home with Albert Lee. Jimmy developed

an affinity for Lee's sound (Gibson Les Paul Custom with Supro Amp) and bought a Supro of his own in 1961. Jeff and Jimmy were friends in art college, but attended different schools.

I found some information on this mystery, but not too strong backing for the focus of the mystery, what year? here is the reply on May 25, 2012...

Message from Research Staff at SCOLA Art College, formerly Sutton...

"Thanks for your recent emails regarding Jimmy Pages time at College in Sutton, Surrey. I have been doing some research recently regarding the college as it is our 40th year as a college. Since 1972 the college has been known as SCOLA (Sutton College of Liberal Arts 1972-2001, Sutton College of Learning for adults 2001-present) but prior to that it was a school, known as Sutton Liberal Arts school and also Sutton & Cheam School of Arts & crafts! (These are two of the names I have found it referred to!)

The only information I have found about Jimmy Page from his time at the school was that he enrolled in 1963 through to 1964 and he did a “Basic Arts course”. The Principle at this time was Mr Edward S Bulley. This was situated at Throwley Road until 1969 when it was demolished and moved to Stowford School on the Brighton Rd Sutton.

I have looked at the archives in the Sutton Library for student records but they don’t seem to have any sadly!

I am still in the process of researching the college and its origins, so if I do come up with any further information for you, I will let you know as soon as I find any."

Jimmy's Art Professor Clairmonte obituary article, Sutton Art College Originally was as you also known likely was posted in this Forum by ZISH, I think at least..

Link to Jimmy's Original Art College:

http://www.scola.ac.uk/

http://www.scolapost.blogspot.ca/

Here is that article about Morocco that AEN scanned just today, Jimmy indicating that he could not go to Morrocco because he was in Art School, so perhaps age could be little clearer?

http://forums.ledzep.../page__st__2820

Edited by PlanetPage

I found some information on this mystery, but not too strong backing for the focus of the mystery, what year? here is the reply on May 25, 2012...

Message from Research Staff at SCOLA Art College, formerly Sutton...

"Thanks for your recent emails regarding Jimmy Pages time at College in Sutton, Surrey. I have been doing some research recently regarding the college as it is our 40th year as a college. Since 1972 the college has been known as SCOLA (Sutton College of Liberal Arts 1972-2001, Sutton College of Learning for adults 2001-present) but prior to that it was a school, known as Sutton Liberal Arts school and also Sutton & Cheam School of Arts & crafts! (These are two of the names I have found it referred to!)

The only information I have found about Jimmy Page from his time at the school was that he enrolled in 1963 through to 1964 and he did a “Basic Arts course”. The Principle at this time was Mr Edward S Bulley. This was situated at Throwley Road until 1969 when it was demolished and moved to Stowford School on the Brighton Rd Sutton.

I have looked at the archives in the Sutton Library for student records but they don’t seem to have any sadly!

I am still in the process of researching the college and its origins, so if I do come up with any further information for you, I will let you know as soon as I find any."

Jimmy's Art Professor Clairmonte obituary article, Sutton Art College Originally was as you also known likely was posted in this Forum by ZISH, I think at least..

Link to Jimmy's Original Art College:

http://www.scola.ac.uk/

http://www.scolapost.blogspot.ca/

Here is that article about Morocco that AEN scanned just today, Jimmy indicating that he could not go to Morrocco because he was in Art School, so perhaps age could be little clearer?

http://forums.ledzep.../page__st__2820

Maybe there's alumni contact info through Classmates or elsewhere?

Maybe there's alumni contact info through Classmates or elsewhere?

The main point of contention concerning Jimmy's art school enrollment is it's begining and end dates. Planet Page's findings seem to support what I have suspected for some time: that his enrollment was intermittent, not continuous. According to my notes Jimmy said he enrolled in art college after leaving Neil Christian and The Crusaders, an event which is believed to have occured in Autumn 1960.

I've asked Robert this for someone else who was dead keen to know - it was in Morocco so the language is either Modern Standard Arabic or Berber and the guy is basically giving a call out to everyone to pay attention . I'll see if I can find the message I sent with a more specific version of his answer (which I don't think there really was!).

I've asked Robert this for someone else who was dead keen to know - it was in Morocco so the language is either Modern Standard Arabic or Berber and the guy is basically giving a call out to everyone to pay attention . I'll see if I can find the message I sent with a more specific version of his answer (which I don't think there really was!).

^^^

Agreed

Rendest rachib, rhud rhip zelp Borachs un fun dehl noach, shochen zoap

because in the estimation of the band they couldn't find any tracks that would add to the direction and flow of the set.

Seems to me they had a lock on what works live and especially a lock on how to be LZ - and not a tribute band to their former selves doing a greatest hits and top of the pops from each album show.

Since nobody bothered to ask this at the conferences, WHY didn't they perform any ITTOD or Coda songs at the reunion? Is there a definitive answer?

Coda was not really one of the albums, it was a release of previously unreleased studio and live tracks. As for ITTOD I have no idea. There really weren't a lot of options from the album imo. In The Evening would have been good or an attempt at Fool In The Rain for the first time I would have loved though.

Since nobody bothered to ask this at the conferences, WHY didn't they perform any ITTOD or Coda songs at the reunion? Is there a definitive answer?

I don't know but I would have liked at least 'In the Evening' being performed. I have said this in other threads- Don't get me wrong I like 'Ramble On' but it could have been replaced with something else in my opinion-but I will say seeing the movie- it was a great version- the bootlegs just don't do the show justice. Edited by DavidZoso