Mr. Jimmy (Akio Sakurai) Documentary

Saw this pop up in my Facebook feed - there's a documentary coming about about Akio Sakurai, a.k.a. 'Mr. Jimmy' who's the guitar player in Jason's band. In the trailer there's a fun bit of the real Jimmy watching him play. Looks like it'll be an interesting doc. It comes out September 1st. 

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSaVHb9_PaM&ab_channel=Abramorama

Edited by LesPaulPlayer

1 hour ago, LesPaulPlayer said:

Saw this pop up in my Facebook feed - there's a documentary coming about about Akio Sakurai, a.k.a. 'Mr. Jimmy' who's the guitar player in Jason's band. In the trailer there's a fun bit of the real Jimmy watching him play. Looks like it'll be an interesting doc. It comes out September 1st. 

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSaVHb9_PaM&ab_channel=Abramorama

Obviously, Led Zeppelin has approved this film as there is something like 25 Led Zeppelin songs in the film. Definitely, want to see this. It will be in a limited release.

Saw him when the JBLZE first came to Bris, he was really reserved and not in costume as he was backing Jason, not really trying to be the "front man" or focus. Still extremely impressive. He gets Jimmy's guitar sound/tone perfect and explores the songs like Jimmy used to (not as much obviously, no 5 minute solo's). The man is a GUN at what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t wait to see this in the UK Akio Sakurai is as close to hearing and seeing the real thing as we will get these days. Jimmy has given him the official seal of approval having seen him play in a club in Japan and has sanctioned 25 tracks to be used in the film. Plant and/or Jones or Bonham estate could easily have blocked this but thankfully appreciated the work -over 8 years in the making -that has gone into this .Seeing 25 plus classic Zep tracks played live  and (guitarwise) note perfect on a big screen in Dolby 7.0 -doesn’t get much better !

Edited by Paganini

9 hours ago, Paganini said:

Can’t wait to see this in the UK Akio Sakurai is as close to hearing and seeing the real thing as we will get these days. Jimmy has given him the official seal of approval having seen him play in a club in Japan and has sanctioned 25 tracks to be used in the film. Plant and/or Jones or Bonham estate could easily have blocked this but thankfully appreciated the work -over 8 years in the making -that has gone into this .Seeing 25 plus classic Zep tracks played live  and (guitarwise) note perfect on a big screen in Dolby 7.0 -doesn’t get much better !

Well said and definitely. There aren't a lot of showings of this film as it is a documentary and not a wide release. The closest showing from me is about 15 miles. It's only for one day and hope I can see it in the theatre.

image.jpeg.349634f77440d17fc97d29045662f951.jpeg

The latest podcast of "Zepfan - All Things Led Zeppelin" talks to the Director of Mr. Jimmy, Peter Michael Dowd.

Ep 018: Director Peter Michael Dow joins us for a captivating conversation about his much anticipated full-length documentary "Mr. Jimmy." Peter takes us on an immersive 8-year journey encompassing the documentary's inception and development while offering a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes specifics. Additionally, Peter shares his genuine obsession with amassing Led Zeppelin bootlegs. 

Apple podcast
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/zepfan-all-things-led-zeppelin/id1648761885?i=1000626140976

Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4A6wwm9iYp4G0PxeYg9O86?si=8xptn1cHQkKGixS1C-85Fw

I saw Mr. Jimmy once a few years ago in Syracuse, NY with Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.

I was impressed to say the least. Not only did he play and act like Jimmy Page, he simply played extremely well.

As mentioned, I too would like to see what Mr. Jimmy could do coming up with his own material, with a heavy Page influence of course.

Soundcheck before the screening tonight  Chuck Wright from Quiet Riot was on bass.

20230916_195035.thumb.jpg.6da1cb56eb8ea343398ae8af37f8e14e.jpg

20230916_195231.thumb.jpg.4668d54ac3d3e285fa02e7c64c5d7939.jpg

Q & A after the screening with Mr. Jimmy Akio Sakurai and director Peter Michael Dowd. 

20230916_225150.thumb.jpg.9da55d2feb199c8c08c5296bcf90abbe.jpg

Concert after the Q & A. Mr. Jimmy switched to a Harmony guitar for the concert. The setlist:

1. White Summer/Midnight Moonlight/Black Mountain Side

2. Ramble On

3. Over the Hills and Far Away

4. Stairway To Heaven

20230916_230657.thumb.jpg.33d9d3c6713de1c749c263d87bdf42aa.jpg

14 minutes ago, Strider said:

Um, yeah, I saw it last night. Well worth seeing in a theatre with a booming 5.1 sound system.

Would love to but it’s not showing here in the UK at all, hopefully will be out on Netflix soon so my home system will have to suffice.