Another Record Store Bites The Dust!

myledzep

I shopped FYE up until I started back at Uni - there's an independant chain "Graywhale CD Exchange" with a branch right off of campus that I use now. You can get so much greta stuff for dirt cheap used, and they havce the kind of records that big box stores never carry - the kind I'm looking for more and more these days.

I'll still use FYE for DVD buys until my card there expires late this year.

Do you find FYE to have a good selection? The couple I've been in seem not only overpriced but basically cover the top 40 stuff and not much else.

^ that's why I try really hard to stay away.

Barnes and Noble charges $20 for any CD...not just really good ones. :rolleyes: And I know that's not to keep up with overhead.

Now my little record store in downtown Boise...they charge about $20 for a good CD but that's because they have to in order to stay in business and pay their employee decently. I'll pay that much for that one reason.

^ that's why I try really hard to stay away.

Barnes and Noble charges $20 for any CD...not just really good ones. :rolleyes: And I know that's not to keep up with overhead.

Now my little record store in downtown Boise...they charge about $20 for a good CD but that's because they have to in order to stay in business and pay their employee decently. I'll pay that much for that one reason.

Barnes and Noble is very expensive for a CD. I'm with you - if it's an independent store, I'll pay that to support them. Plus I love the rapport you have. So often you can get into some great music conversations which can be a bit hazardous on the wallet as your intention for purchasing ONE specific cd turns into a pile <_<B)

I never thought FYE near me to be too bad - you can get one of their cards and get 10% off everything. And I have found some slightly rare stuff there, but they're not cutting it for me anymore.

What I like about Graywhale is their expansive used section - dead cheap and it's buy 2 get 3rd free - so with their membership card (which is a LIFETIME card - not a yearly subscription) you can get 3 CDs for less than $10. That's amazing.

I highly doubt that Led Zepp IV would be sensored. Maybe Dark Side of the Moon-that part in Money where to my disbelief a radio station cut out the do goody good bullshit part. Deleted the bullshit part. I mean, comon, with the shit they are showing teenagers on TV now they are cutting this? What a fucking joke. Nothing but boobs and ass and sex talk on every channel now.

I wasn't implying that either of those albums were censored, just that Wal-Mart sells censored albums, period.

As for the current state of TV, the U.S. is notoriously more tolerant of violence than they are of sex. With the writer's strike going on all we are going to get now is reality (who's reality, I'm not sure) TV since it doesn't require scripts. The more tits n' ass the better.

The FYEs I have been in have a pretty good selection. It was used but hell they even had an Ike Reilly Assassination disc in there. I also found the 2 disc special edition DVD of The Kids Are Alright in there for half price. So, they do have some deals, you just have to look for them. Overall, though, their standard prices are pretty high.

As for the big boxes (like Best Buy and Circuit City), their on sale CDs are usually very reasonably priced. That's the whole idea, to price that sort of stock lower to get you in there to buy the higher priced electronic items (with the CDs and DVDs referred to as "loss leaders"). That said, both stores often engage in some trickery via their sales ads that are often (if not impossible) to get them to make good on. Case in point, when R.E.M. released And I Feel Fine and the When The Light Is Mine DVD on the same day, the ad said you could get both on sale for some kind of special priced combo deal. The first problem I had was finding a Best Buy that even had both in stock. Even then I had a hard time getting them to make good on the deal. And I Feel Fine had been released in two configurations, a single disc and a double disc (with rarities). The totally unknowledgable clerks would insist that the two disc version contained the DVD referred to in the ads when in fact, it did not. Hell, in one store they even called a meeting so they could open one up and find out for themselves. Even after all of that they refused to make good on the deal advertised. At this point I just said fuck it and took my business elsewhere. I ran into the same thing with a Waylon Jennings box set that was very clearly adverstised as being onsale but when they put it through the price scanner the sale price didn't show up. Despite being advertised as being onsale, they refused to make good on the advertised sale price. That's the downside to places like Best Buy despite their usually reasonable prices.

All of that said, I recently read where stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will soon be reducing the floor space normally reserved for CDs and will be expanding it to include more DVDs and games. Eventually CDs will be a thing of the past.

As for Barnes and Noble, they, like FYE, are very high priced. Borders, on the other hand often has a budget section set aside where you can find some real deals on older CDs.

I never thought FYE near me to be too bad - you can get one of their cards and get 10% off everything. And I have found some slightly rare stuff there, but they're not cutting it for me anymore.

What I like about Graywhale is their expansive used section - dead cheap and it's buy 2 get 3rd free - so with their membership card (which is a LIFETIME card - not a yearly subscription) you can get 3 CDs for less than $10. That's amazing.

I went in there several times Muse. There's, or was, a burger joint nearby I used to frequent as well....yep, just a block or so from the U of U campus !

Have you gone to Randy's on, I believe, 9th south ? It's about 200 east or so....If they're still around, they have a good, inexpensive selection too....mind you, I haven't been in SLC since 2001 !

Another place was west of I-15 a couple of miles...Starbound on 35th South. Just a bit pricey, but some unusual stuff. I actually thought Salt Lake was a great place for cd shopping. Even the Circuit City's used to be well stocked...I wonder if Media Play still exists. For bigbox, I thought they were one of the better ones considering selection, not price.

My Circuit City (Circuit Shitty is more like it) has basically no cds beyond a tiny rack of the top 40. Best Buy carries more dvds at pretty decent prices but their cd collection is also slim and caters more to the current popular artists as well. Plus both stores are always mobbed and I have no patience for them :lol::blink:

I shopped FYE up until I started back at Uni - there's an independant chain "Graywhale CD Exchange" with a branch right off of campus that I use now. You can get so much greta stuff for dirt cheap used, and they havce the kind of records that big box stores never carry - the kind I'm looking for more and more these days.

I'll still use FYE for DVD buys until my card there expires late this year.

That's the key folks, if you live near a college or university and they have a record store near by that's where the deals are :thumbsup:

I hate to shop and will avoid it at all costs - with two huge exceptions - independent bookstores and music (especially record) stores. Whenever we're on the road and/or traveling (anywhere in the U.S. or the world), we seek out the local book and music stores. I've kept a list of my favorite music/record stores and, unfortunately, I've had to update it too many times as stores have closed. Some of the most interesting stores we've visited have been outside of the U.S. Within the U.S., I like Amoeba and also (but I'm not sure this one is still around), the Open Mind in SF. Open Mind used to have turntables set up so you could sample the vinyl. I have many other stores on my list. Because we live remotely and can't always get to a record store, I will order online. I've ordered from Waterloo (which is a great, great store) and also from J&R, which I remember from NY.

I wasn't implying that either of those albums were censored, just that Wal-Mart sells censored albums, period.

As for the current state of TV, the U.S. is notoriously more tolerant of violence than they are of sex. With the writer's strike going on all we are going to get now is reality (who's reality, I'm not sure) TV since it doesn't require scripts. The more tits n' ass the better.

Well there goes your reputation or whatever was left of it with certain female population. who cares? Right? The only way they can sell that hillbilly country hick bullshit is with tits and ass anyway. And my wife and step daughter are into that country shit, so Im surrounded with it. Fucking think they are all hillbillies. The old stuff like old Johnny Cash I can put up with, but not the new stuff. Bunch of damn boring hillbilly bullshit.

Well there goes your reputation or whatever was left of it with certain female population. who cares? Right? The only way they can sell that hillbilly country hick bullshit is with tits and ass anyway. And my wife and step daughter are into that country shit, so Im surrounded with it. Fucking think they are all hillbillies. The old stuff like old Johnny Cash I can put up with, but not the new stuff. Bunch of damn boring hillbilly bullshit.

Rap and rock have also used females in videos, it's not unique to country music videos at all. As for "new country", there's far more to it than what's on CMT and commercial country radio. I'm a big fan of alt.country which actually gets airplay on stations like XM's X-Country channel but it's far from the only outlet.

I hate to shop and will avoid it at all costs - with two huge exceptions - independent bookstores and music (especially record) stores. Whenever we're on the road and/or traveling (anywhere in the U.S. or the world), we seek out the local book and music stores. I've kept a list of my favorite music/record stores and, unfortunately, I've had to update it too many times as stores have closed. Some of the most interesting stores we've visited have been outside of the U.S. Within the U.S., I like Amoeba and also (but I'm not sure this one is still around), the Open Mind in SF. Open Mind used to have turntables set up so you could sample the vinyl. I have many other stores on my list. Because we live remotely and can't always get to a record store, I will order online. I've ordered from Waterloo (which is a great, great store) and also from J&R, which I remember from NY.

Yeah, Blockbuster has listening stations along the walls, then the had the listening bar, and then...Bloclbuster was gone....

Barnes & Noble still has their listening staions, but you cannot get the volume loud enogh to cover the noise of just a few poeple talking in the area....

Best But used to have --lots-- of good deals on Cds. Now they are few and far between.

It was in Austin, a university town, where I stumbled upon my first bootleg LP at an independent Non BOX record store.

Yeah, Blockbuster has listening stations along the walls, then the had the listening bar, and then...Bloclbuster was gone....

Barnes & Noble still has their listening staions, but you cannot get the volume loud enogh to cover the noise of just a few poeple talking in the area....

Best But used to have --lots-- of good deals on Cds. Now they are few and far between.

It was in Austin, a university town, where I stumbled upon my fist bootleg LP at an indepent Non BOX record store.

University towns are usually great places to find the independents - especially ones who sell boots.

I guess it depend on what region you live in but the majority of Best Buys in my area still have lots of good deals, you just have to catch the new releases while they're still on sale.

University towns are usually great places to find the independents - especially ones who sell boots.

Most indie stores I'm aware of don't sell bootlegs anymore. I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy them anyway especially since you can get most live recordings for free these days via download sites (and trading for them for free). Then there's the bigger picture of robbing artists of the money that should be going into their pockets, not bootleggers who don't even give a shit about the artists. They just want to make a buck.

I guess it depend on what region you live in but the majority of Best Buys in my area still have lots of good deals, you just have to catch the new releases while they're still on sale.

New releases...sure BB has the deals.... But I was thinking of how just ordinary releases, already out, some a number of years old, sold for low prices. THAT's what has changed.....

...Case in point, when R.E.M. released And I Feel Fine and the When The Light Is Mine DVD on the same day, the ad said you could get both on sale for some kind of special priced combo deal. The first problem I had was finding a Best Buy that even had both in stock. Even then I had a hard time getting them to make good on the deal. And I Feel Fine had been released in two configurations, a single disc and a double disc (with rarities)...

You've got great taste in music. B)

If we don't have an R.E.M. thread, I'm gonna start one soon.

Barnes and Noble is very expensive for a CD. I'm with you - if it's an independent store, I'll pay that to support them. Plus I love the rapport you have. So often you can get into some great music conversations which can be a bit hazardous on the wallet as your intention for purchasing ONE specific cd turns into a pile <_<B)

:lol:

We went to the record store on Sunday, and I wanted to look for one specific CD (which I didn't get BTW), and I ended up MAKING myself pair down the pile so I wouldn't walk out of there having spent over $100.00.

The place is a very nice place to hang out. It has records, CDs, used and new...novelty stuff like Wagner action figures and Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Zeppelin ashtrays, and an espresso bar, DVDs, rock posters, you name it--if it's music related, they have it. I brought a CD up to the counter that was quite pricey--over $30, and the guy behind the counter hooked me up with a very nice used one. I bought all my "new-release" Zeppelin stuff there as well as my Plant/Krauss CD. They have a lot of CDs that are exclusives to the Boise area, which are quite neat, and those exlcusives are good ways to get new people in the door. The place has 45s and full sized vinyl...they even sell turntables!

I remember when places like that were all over town. It's too sad that there is only one left in Boise. :'(

Archived