Another Record Store Bites The Dust!

myledzep

I was reading the local free weekly paper and saw an ad that Virgin Megastore in West Hollywood is closing. I don't know many more months/weeks/days it will remain open. That's too bad. That was a nice store. I bought many cds, including imports that weren't found in other chain stores.

I wonder if the rest of the Virgin Megastore record stores in California and other states will eventually close as well.

:(

The record store I use is just a private owned one. They can't always get stuff, but part of that is I live in the middle of nowhere. It's a cool stuff, I don't know if I live without it.

Well, I could, but my music collection would dwindle.

^that's exactly why I chose to spend $20 on a CD at the local record store today. I've been trying to buy my music there, even though it's cheaper at the other stores...big boxes.

I can't let the local stores close...those have been where all my musical memories have begun!

^that's exactly why I chose to spend $20 on a CD at the local record store today. I've been trying to buy my music there, even though it's cheaper at the other stores...big boxes.

I can't let the local stores close...those have been where all my musical memories have begun!

Me too, I don't like chain stores, the people aren't very nice. I'm willing to pay an extra few bucks if I can have nicer local service.

You still have Amoeba Records though which I've heard is a great store.

I've never been there but I've heard they're good too.

I hate it when decent record stores close. I am often a regular customer, not only to buy but also to browse without the intention of buying. They were great places to hang out...yet there's bearly any integrity anymore. I hope the three stores I know don't close down.

That's too bad but it seems to be a bit of a growing trend with the big record stores these days. I think Itunes, Amazon and other sites have taken over.

Indies are also feeling the bite if not more so than chains like Tower. It's a combination of things from downloading (both the legal and illegal variety), competitive pricing from the big boxes, etc. I still try to shop indie but it's not always an option, especially if you live in a remote area where the only choice is the big box stores.

Indies are also feeling the bite if not more so than chains like Tower. It's a combination of things from downloading (both the legal and illegal variety), competitive pricing from the big boxes, etc. I still try to shop indie but it's not always an option, especially if you live in a remote area where the only choice is the big box stores.

Oh absolutely. I should have mentioned that. It's worse in my mind to see the indies disappear. I love shopping there. You get personalised attention and often can come away with some unexpected nuggets. I will try to support them whenever possible, which sad to say is not too often :(

That's too bad but it seems to be a bit of a growing trend with the big record stores these days. I think Itunes, Amazon and other sites have taken over.

You still have Amoeba Records though which I've heard is a great store.

You're right....Amoeba is the best!! I spend hours browsing whenever I go there and I always manage to leave with a cd/dvd or two or three.....:D

i used to shop at a privately owned store. when bush was elected , i recall going into the store to find the owner throwing a fit and ranting." this is the end of small business owners like me, we are all screwed!" along with a few other choice words . anyways..his business lasted a couple more years and he disappeared into the void. i do miss that place, it was like a community landmark gone forever just like that.

With CDs now going the way of 8-tracks, vinyl and cassettes before them record stores have less reason to stay open. However, there seems to be a niche market for vinyl (new and used). So that alone will assure that some of them will stay open. Same for CDs. No matter what comes along, the resurgance of the popularity of vinyl proves there will always be a demand for them. There may not be many stores but at least there will be some that cater entirely to that group of people that are in search of vinyl (and CDs).

With CDs now going the way of 8-tracks, vinyl and cassettes before them record stores have less reason to stay open. However, there seems to be a niche market for vinyl (new and used). So that alone will assure that some of them will stay open. Same for CDs. No matter what comes along, the resurgance of the popularity of vinyl proves there will always be a demand for them. There may not be many stores but at least there will be some that cater entirely to that group of people that are in search of vinyl (and CDs).

True although I've seen fewer and fewer vinyl stores around too. I wonder if cds will have quite the same nostalgia that vinyl has. But then again, you will have people that aren't about jumping on every new music format that comes out, hence why vinyl is still something people crave.

Like it or not, a huge factor in keeping vinyl alive is rap music DJs who need vinyl for their trade. The other thing is audiophiles who insist upon vinyl for it's audio quality. Myself, I don't fall into either category but I have a fairly huge collection of vinyl I don't plan to get rid of and still enjoy listening to vinyl from time to time. With that in mind, I still pick up new and used vinyl on occasion even though my turntable has been in storage since the late 90s. Someday in the not too distant future I hope to bring it (and all of my records) out of retirement.

Tower Records officially went out of business (at least stateside) a year or so ago.

That's a shame.

The Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus had a massive selection of Arab and Egyptian

cds. Looking for Transglobal Underground? They had it. Fye's is no Tower Records. I

find most of their selections to be overpriced too.

Around 75 and 76 I used to go to a local record store that one of my classmates worked at, we would argue all the time about who was better. He didn't like Zep, mostly because I did. And it gave us something to yell about.

He went off to college and I went off to work. After he graduated he came back and bought the store he worked at. He had a 3 store chain at one time ,ended up closing two and now just concentrates on the bigger one he owns. I was worried that he was going to go out of business with the "big box" stores and the internet. He's doing OK, considering the competition, his store still has that Mom and Pop feel and everyone that works for him know what they're talking about.

My wife and kids know if they are going to buy me music or a gift card for Xmas that it has to come from his store.

I called him after Xmas to see if he had the new TSRTS Dvd or if he needed to order it for me, he had it, put it under the counter and I picked it up that night. I told him jokingly that I was tired of arguing with him about Zep, he replied "you wore me down a long time ago, I just like busting your chops about them" B)

Great memories.

Fortunately we have many mom & pop shops to find music at.

Here are a few that have websites.

http://www.offbeat.com/store/lmd.php

http://www.jimrussellrecords.com/default.asp

http://www.vcvinyl.com/index.htm

http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com/default.asp

The last one is mostly local and regional Blues,jazz,local indie rock etc..

My favorite place to go is the "Mushroom" 1037 Broadway New Orleans LA 504-866-6065

They're located next to Loyola and Tulane Universities, students always selling cd's so theres always a good turnover. The store is on the second floor so their inventory was spared the wrath of God. They carry a lot of imports and new stuff as well.

I was reading the local free weekly paper and saw an ad that Virgin Megastore in West Hollywood is closing. I don't know many more months/weeks/days it will remain open. That's too bad. That was a nice store. I bought many cds, including imports that weren't found in other chain stores.

I wonder if the rest of the Virgin Megastore record stores in California and other states will eventually close as well.

:(

Virgin was over-priced. Good riddance.

Archived