jimmy lyrics?

slave to zep

oh i have never heard that before! kashmir sounds VERY plant to me...i guess the first album sounds feasible, robert was quite young, but i still think plant wouldve done most of it....

Again, I think Robert did write the lyrics to Kashmir. But I suspect Jimmy did do the 1st album. Robert didn't really come into his own until the second album, writing wise.

• 3 weeks later...

well i think he wrote the lyrics to white summer :whistling: hehe

this is one thing id like to find out, im searching now but when i try search it i mainly get anti led zep sites who say that zep ripped evrything off..... so not worth reading. :lol:

i came across a site that swears that stairway to heaven has a satanic verse hidden within if played backwards... if you play songs backwards then i think you have too much time on your hands haha

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Page did all of Tangerine.

As for the first album, we can't really be too sure who wrote what. For a lot of reasons, main ones being:

1. Robert was still under contract with CBS so he couldn't be listed on the album. (As mentioned above.)

2. Jimmy says that he tried to share the credits evenly with Bonzo and Jonesy. He also noted that "some people" didn't appreciete it, and that the comment was no way directed towards Bonzo.

Tangerine was before the Yardbirds. I wouldn't be shocked if McCarty & Derja did a version though.

The rewritten version of Dazed and Confused was Jimmy Page. The lyrics are different from the Holmes version

There might be a song or two where he wrote lyrics to or a few lines. But those 2 are probably the only ones he wrote.

thanks everyone. steve , i dont have that book so, could you expand on that please?

The song is supposed to be about Jackie DeShannon. They were working on some music together when she was in London, and Jimmy allegedly had a crush on her. She returned back to the States and left him yearning...

I found an early version of Tangerine on Youtube. But I'm not sure if it's right to be posted here or not.

We probably shouldn't. But if you're interested in the Tangerine authorship question, you should look it up. The arrangement is the same but the lyrics are quite different, only the first verse of lyrics from Zep's version existed in the Yardbird's version. So the idea that Jimmy was responsible for all of Tangerine really isn't as far fetched as some here would have it.

Jimmy has said in interviews that "Thank You" was the first song that Robert wrote all the way through, and that he had always intended for Robert to write all the lyrics so he could concentrate on the music. That statement implies that they worked in collaboration prior to that. Hard to say who wrote what, given Robert's contractual situation during the first album, although listening to live tapes from '69, Robert must have been involved from the very beginning, he's constantly changing the lyrics live, adding new verses, etc.

But, if we are to take Jimmy's statement at face value, then Jimmy has a pattern of collaborating with lead singers on the lyrics- and it may be that he did so with Keith Relf on the Yardbirds version and subsequently only used what he himself wrote on the Zeppelin version and abandoned all of Keith's material. Keith isn't here to say, and so it's a case of he said she said between Page and McCarty/ Dreja. Who knows if Dreja and McCarty are right about Keith writing that verse? They certainly haven't been able to prove it legally.

well i wonder if the others wrote any? maybe jimmy did with coverdale?

My daughter read an article which states that Jimmy and Bonzo would disappear while Robert and Jonesie wrote the lyrics and the music. By the time Jimmy and Bonzo got back, the song was ready to play. Robert said this happened quite often. She also believes "Trampled underfoot" was written by Bonzo because of the references to a car.

The song is supposed to be about Jackie DeShannon. They were working on some music together when she was in London, and Jimmy allegedly had a crush on her. She returned back to the States and left him yearning...

...his yearning was satisfied in New York, though she was married at the time. She also

introduced to him to American music industry movers and shakers during that same visit,

his first to the United States.

My daughter read an article which states that Jimmy and Bonzo would disappear while Robert and Jonesie wrote the lyrics and the music. By the time Jimmy and Bonzo got back, the song was ready to play. Robert said this happened quite often. She also believes "Trampled underfoot" was written by Bonzo because of the references to a car.

Trampled Underfoot has references to sex more than any cars. :D

BTW the Yardbirds early version of Tangerine sounds a lot like Tommy James' Crimson and Clover.

Archived