The Worst Band Ever

kidmoon

Why all the Journey hate? Steve Perry's voice is right up there with Plant and Daltrey as far as rock voices go. He had AMAZING pipes and sung the hell out of those songs. Yes, a lot of their songs were schmaltzy, they had some rockers in there too. He's the only reason I like Journey; those songs sung by someone else would probably suck.

This is a strange thread.. Sure, there are bands I can't stand listening to.. But I like to believe I can listen to everything with an open mind and be some what objective in my opinions about it. Bands I wrote off in my younger days, can be bands that I now purchase albums with because I have given them time and have listened more closely to them.

Why all the Journey hate? Steve Perry's voice is right up there with Plant and Daltrey as far as rock voices go. He had AMAZING pipes and sung the hell out of those songs. Yes, a lot of their songs were schmaltzy, they had some rockers in there too. He's the only reason I like Journey; those songs sung by someone else would probably suck.

A lot of people think they suck no matter who's singing. Like it or not, they were the epitome of corporate rock back in the 70s and 80s and even if people didn't admit it then, lots of them hate them now for what they came to represent: forumlaic, uninspired, ready for radio rock. Then there's the infamous Beavis and Butthead bit that illustrated that not every hit rock radio band translated well to the new video medium at the time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bQbZRMLKozk

This is a strange thread.. Sure, there are bands I can't stand listening to.. But I like to believe I can listen to everything with an open mind and be some what objective in my opinions about it. Bands I wrote off in my younger days, can be bands that I now purchase albums with because I have given them time and have listened more closely to them.

You've got a point....that happended to me too! :)

What band/songwriter, when you hear their music, makes you want to leave the room, change the station (but, really, who listens to radio anymore?), or tell your buddy his taste in music needs serious revamping?

So, what band spoils your breakfast? Feel free to vent.

There's plenty of artists that make me wanna change the station but I wouldn't necessarily calle them "the worst band ever". Most of the time (as I've said throughout this thread) I'm prompted to change stations, not because I think the artist themselves are bad but because I've heard their songs played one too many times by Classic Rock radio. Are there artists out there I simply don't care for? Sure but if they come on the radio I just don't listen to them. Simple as that. I could name all of the usual suspects such as Creed, Nickelback and their predessors from previous decades, or someone like Celine Dion but I don't go out of my way to listen to their music anyway.

The only time I tell someone about an artist I hate, is when I know it'll annoy the hell out of the person I'm telling it to (obviously because that person is a big fan of the artist I'm supposed to hate). :D

Am I annoying or what? :D

Why all the Journey hate? Steve Perry's voice is right up there with Plant and Daltrey as far as rock voices go.

Because he and the band SUCK !!!! <_<

And I can't believe you'd mention him in the same breath as Robert and Roger ...

I like what Swede said about annoyance. Maybe this post qualifies ! :lol:

Steve, there greatest hits double called "essentials" is very good. Has Dont stop Beleivin and Open Arms which in my opinion are great songs. I think there are two guys on here that just love to get under my skin.

No offense, but those are exactly the kind of songs that make me retch. I don't think anyone's picking on you deliberately, it's just the way we hear the music.

I quit a local band up here because they wanted to play 70's corporate crap. :lol: To each their own though. ;)

No offense, but those are exactly the kind of songs that make me retch. I don't think anyone's picking on you deliberately, it's just the way we hear the music.

I quit a local band up here because they wanted to play 70's corporate crap. :lol: To each their own though. ;)

Well I dont sit here and trash Jimi Henrix. And the man cant sing a lick. Of course he is a great guitar player but he should have hired a singer. I think Steve Perry has a great voice. Journey has alot of great songs. So does Aerosmith even though I dont listen to them anymore. People get pissed at me for saying the 90s suck. But its fine for them to say Journey and the Eagles suck and they think Im just going to sit here and take it? I say again THE 90S SUCK MOOSE COCK.

Well you might not like Journey but they are a huge success. And I know alot of people that like them. And Styx too for that matter.

Styx too ? Oh brother !!! :rolleyes:

To me, they're a HUGE SUCKcess ! :lol:

I'm dissing the bands...not anyone's taste...

Journey had some good stuff prior to Perry joining and turning it into a multi-album beer commercial and soap opera soundtrack. Listen to "Look Into The Future".

Or, (if you can bare to), watch their Behind the Music special (same for Styx'). There's no bigger pussies in rock n' roll. Well, except maybe for Creed, who also filmed a very damning (particularly to Scott Sapp) episode of Behind the Music. Someone should have told Jonathan Cain there's no cryin' in rock n' roll.

Well you might not like Journey but they are a huge success. And I know alot of people that like them. And Styx too for that matter.

I don't care how huge of a success either of them are or how many people you know that like them, that doesn't sway people's personal opinions one bit. An artist can sell billions of records but that doesn't mean they are free of detractors.

As has been said, don't take these critiques as a personal attack as they're not meant that way at all, they're directed totally at the bands themselves.

Or, (if you can bare to), watch their Behind the Music special (same for Styx'). There's no bigger pussies in rock n' roll. Well, except maybe for Creed, who also filmed a very damning (particularly to Scott Sapp) episode of Behind the Music. Someone should have told Jonathan Cain there's no cryin' in rock n' roll.

Cain was the final nail in the coffin for Journey. What a Baby. Literally. B)

Gregg Rolie WAS the spirit of Journey. Even with Perry there were a few listenable tunes. When Gregg quit (over musical direction, now THERE'S a fuckin' surprise! :lol:) the band sank forever into the toilet.

But again- Journey prior to Perry was pretty damn good.

Archived