Music Books/Guitar/Tabs? Accurate or not?

icantquityoubabe

I must confess that with the high expense of music books I have been guilty in the past, especially before the internet came along, of going into music stores and skimming through books and writing down chords for certain songs I was interested in. Books are generally on the average about $20 now. Led Zeppelin Complete (which was released in the 70s as another poster here already mentioned, was always considered a good one-even though it only goes up to Houses of the Holy). One of the better books I have ever found was "Hell Freezes Over" by the Eagles. The acoustic tabs for Hotel California are excellant. I have come across many books that are a rip off too. Only part of the chords are given and no tabs included. And some of the tabs are not even close to being accurate. You have to be carefull if you are going to buy. I sure miss Olga.net. It was just a fabulous guitar tab site. Far better and more accurate than ultimate and some of the others. So if anyone has any good book ideas Id be interested in seeing them. Play on all!!!

I've got all the Radiohead (go figure) guitar tab books there are and they seem to be pretty accurate - I've only found a few problems with them, i.e. oft times the band has 3 guitars working at once and they'll only tab one of them and just give you a chord chart for another, and totally skip out on the 3rd.

They were $20 each... and you can save a lot of money just looking these things up online... but they were shiny and Radiohead related so I got them. I probably won't bother with any other band unless they're produced by the band themselves - and do those even exist? Those would be infinitely more accurate.

I have a Led Zeppelin tab book that I got for Christmas one year, but since I have the attention span of a lemming, I have never sat down and actually learned a whole song from it. I obviously already knew the important bits and pieces of most of the songs anyways. :lol:

As for online tabs, I only refer to them to get an idea of how the song goes. Again, because of my severely limited attention span, I can't sit there and try and learn something note for note off of a piece of paper. I try and figure out most things by ear. Its more rewarding anyways.

Also I just bought some Jazz Theory method book, and its telling me to do ridiculous things like memorize inversions of triads and the circle of fifths and other such rubbish. Too lazy for that! :lol::rolleyes:

I have a two volume set on all the songs from the box set in 1990, it has the music score/Tab too on guitar to every instrument played on the track !!! I do feel sometimes some of the chord choices can be a bit iffy, like a keyboard player has transcribed it as there are simpler ways to certain chords and not just the way written as some can be physically impossible !! But its a good book none the less !!

This is a Zeppelin book?? didnt know it existed. Only knew about Led Zeppelin Complete-the one the Gibson girl has.

Yes its in a box and has two volumes and the cover is the same as on the cd box set and on the covers of the book its got the symbolly type pics that are on the cd covers in the box set !!!

Yes its in a box and has two volumes and the cover is the same as on the cd box set and on the covers of the book its got the symbolly type pics that are on the cd covers in the box set !!!

I am going ot look for it next time I go to the guitar/music store. Going to go check out some guitars soon.

• 11 months later...

Hi i know dis is wrong page for this kvestion but i kuldent find out ver to put it pleas anser

I wonder vat the strange instrument day uses or radar plays with in the song Whole Lotta Love is clad.

I have manage to see that it looks like an radio antenna and that they just it in concert happy for answer and maybe an picture of it

Hi i know dis is wrong page for this kvestion but i kuldent find out ver to put it pleas anser

I wonder vat the strange instrument day uses or radar plays with in the song Whole Lotta Love is clad.

I have manage to see that it looks like an radio antenna and that they just it in concert happy for answer and maybe an picture of it

It's a theremin.

http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=17

I never saw why people use tabs instead of learning to read sheet music....

The purpose of any written language is communication. For most guitar players, tablature is a more effective method of communication than standard notation. The basics can be learned in minutes and the instructions are clear and concise. By comparison, standard notation takes years to master and relies on specialized characters that are difficult to understand without formal education. Most guitar players simply do not have the inclination and patience to devote to learning standard notation, especially when an easier way is so readily available.

Having used both methods extensively, I find only two significant flaws with guitar tablature. One is that tablature generally gives no indication of rhythm; unless a player has heard the song before, he has no idea how it goes. Some publishers have corrected this deficiency by combining rhythmic notation with tablature on the same staff. Otherwise, a player has to read two staves at once: tablature for pitch and standard notation for rhythm. Secondly, a player solely familiar with tablature may have a difficult time communicating with non-fretted instrument players; a pianist or saxophonist has no idea what the sixth string, fifth fret means. However, this is rarely an issue, as a guitarist seldom has need to communicate with another musician save another guitar or bass player.

Standard notation has a definate advantage over tablature when it comes to music theory. Try understanding what a Cm7b5 chord in drop 2 & 3 voicing, 3rd inversion is all about with tablature alone and you'll be scratching your head for hours. Of course, you wouldn't need to understand that chord unless you were playing something a little more elevated than the standard rock 'n roll fare, in which case you'd have already learned to read anyway.

Simply put, for what most guitarists plan to do with music, tablature is the best way.

Fair enough, I still think (and I say this as a drummer) that all guitarists should learn to read rhythmic notation. I would find it funny if I played with people who only ever used tablature, because gone would be the old joke "what do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?".

:P

Tabs can be hit or miss, so can standard notation transcriptions. If you are familiar with the song you can trust your ears, play through it and listen to hear if it sounds right. IMO two of the best learning tools out there are Power Tab and Guitar Pro. When you doenload a tab into the editor it comes with a midi file that plays along with the tab so you can hear how it sounds. The tabs are also highlighted as the editor plays through the song, with guitar pro it break it down into different guitar parts if there is more than one guitar part. You can also slow it down, loop it and mute different parts. www.ultimateguitar.com has a huge library of Power and Pro files.

• 4 weeks later...
The best thing that a musician can have in his PC is the GP5 (Guitar Pro 5). You will be able to do your own songs or lok for other songs on the net. The unique failure is that the sound will be midi.

with the RSE it gets pretty close to how you wanted, even though still sounding hollow. I personally haven't had the time to get to know how to use it properly so its only use for me is for tabs downloaded in GP5 form.

Oh and the convert to adobe acrobat form is great. Let's you print out perfect copies on paper.

This is the best Zep tab book set.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...9478#ps-sellers

I have it and it's the best one out there. I learned them by ear and used these books to see if I was right or to find the spots I couldn't figure out.

It only goes up to HOTH. I got the tab books for PG, Presence, ITTOD, and Coda on Ebay since they're out of print.

• 1 year later...

Fair enough, I still think (and I say this as a drummer) that all guitarists should learn to read rhythmic notation. I would find it funny if I played with people who only ever used tablature, because gone would be the old joke "what do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?".

:P

Yes they should and thats what I find best, both the music notation and tab togehter works well, nice to look at your painting by numbers but when the tricky bits come p, you can look at the rhythm notation and no how it should go...I did my grade 8 music theory to help me on this.

Tab on its own is awful and is no use or ornement, but in conjunction with notation its very useful, to a point as tab is only a guide or suggestion to where to play it on the neck, being that you can play the same notes all over the neck gives you an option if the notation doesn'r say 5th position etc.

As to Music books and how acurate they are, well over the years I have picked up different scores for songs and each one is slightly different so I neve rfeel there is a totally correct version, its down to the transcriber and their ear. So when alot of ppeople on you tube go your not playing that totally correct, well I don't think anyone can always unless the original composer says to them this is how I wrote it to be played.

I bought a book on Zakk Wylde official transcriptions of some stuff of his, they even had a few notes at the beginning of the book etc from him. Yet the transcriber in the officail book still didn't get it rt !!!!!

I looked on you tube to see how Zakk was playing this bit and it was tottally different to the official book( there was also an online lesson by him and he taught this bit diffrerently to the book) as my ear told me, that the transcription was wrong.. I am not the greatest at it but sometimes its frustrating having the books...I need Zakk in my front room...

The aforementioned Led Zeppelin Complete book has little messages in it from Jimmy and the band, which is basically his formal way of saying 'hey kids, this is what you do if you want to play it like me'. I think it's a really nice touch.

Ah that's sweet. Is it still in print?

I just bought two volumes of the Ultimate Guitar Play along series because it said it is the only tablature book approved by Jimmy Page:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guitar-Play-Along-Led-Zeppelin/dp/0739059467/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296059817&sr=1-3

Archived