The Santana Thread

xmas

Anybody want to dicuss Santana.I am a big fan.He has had a long career with all different kinds of lineups and syles of music.

My favorite period is the early years with Greg Rollie.I also liked Supernatural and alot of things in between.

My top 5 favorite albums

1) Santana III first album with a young Neil Schon a harder rocking album for sure.

2)Lotus live album with alot of amazing guitar work

3)Moonflower Santana goes popular

4)Santana first album fresh new sound heard at woodstock

5)Abraxis nice combo rock and some more progresive music

There are alot of others I could pick too.

Caravanserai is my favorite album. I prefer his earlier albums as well. He also did some devotional albums that are fairly interesting though I think hard to find now. Another great one is Love, Devotion and Surrender with John McLaughlin. Stunning version of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme."

Caravanserai is my favorite album. I prefer his earlier albums as well. He also did some devotional albums that are fairly interesting though I think hard to find now. Another great one is Love, Devotion and Surrender with John McLaughlin. Stunning version of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme."

That era was a huge change in direction for the band,thats when Rollie and Schon left to form Journey. The original Journey bared no resemblance to the Steve Perry years.I prefer the rollie Journey by far.

Those McLaughlin projects were very jazz like.Not rock albums.Technically brilliant.but not for for the casual fan.

That era was a huge change in direction for the band,thats when Rollie and Schon left to form Journey. The original Journey bared no resemblance to the Steve Perry years.I prefer the rollie Journey by far.

Those McLaughlin projects were very jazz like.Not rock albums.Technically brilliant.but not for for the casual fan.

I liked the albums with Rolle and Schon but I'm more drawn to the jazzier, experimental sounds. As far as I know, he only did one album with John McLaughlin but he had a couple of devotional records - one was with Alice Coltrane and I can't remember offhand who he did the other one with.

Didn't care for much of what he did late 70s into the 80s. A bit too pop sounding for me.

Lets see...

I've got...

Santana '68 Fillmore..or is it Winterland live gig ?

Live at the Texas Pop Festival Aug. '69

Abraxas

III deluxe edition with the Fillmore West show of July '71

Live with Buddy Miles in Diamond Head Crater Jan. '72 (I was at that !)

Caravanserai

Welcome

I dig 'em all....and think Welcome is fairly well overlooked. Excellent transition record to me....

Saw his band again in Sept. of '74, also saw Santana in '92...the Milagro tour...it was pretty good. Just not as good as the late 60s - early 70s though.

I love how 'tense' he looked at his Woodstock '69 performance. He said he was doing Mescaline and just prayed he'd stay in tune !!! :lol:

Welcome is a really beautiful and soulful record. A prototype for the Latin fusion sound. In fact, last summer I played a gig with Santana's master percussionist Chepito Areas and he's still a MF'er on conga and timbales.

I've seen Carlos live overr 30 times and have met him on several occasions. I asked him a question about the effect of drugs upon musicians. He had a great line- " Know the differtence between self-expansion and self-deception."

Xmas, it was great to play with Chepito. He was in town for the Latin Music festival and played with us for our entire 2nd set. We played Samba Pa Ti, Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va and several originals. Playing with percussion is liking surfing a massive wave. You better play your ass off or you'll get crushed!

I adore Santana and have been a fan of Carlos and the many incarnations of his band since the late 60's. I have been attending Santana concerts for over 30 years (in both Latin America, the U.S., and Europe) and my husband and I will see him again this spring. My oldest daughter is a "second generation" Santana fan. Other than hearing his music while she was growing up, she discovered him on her own. I will always have a deep love for the late 60's - early 70's Santana music and I admit that part of it is sentimental. At this stage in my life, it is so evocative of those times. I do love Caravanserai too, though.

I remember on the old forum this thread lasted about 1 page.... We spent most of that page discussing how he is way over rated and how his albums are not that good. I think we settled on a Quanity vs. Quality issue.

However that was like 2 years ago.... so enjoy.

I'll go listen to some enjoyable music now.

I like alot of his stuff, thought they were great on the Woodstock DVD, but on the other hand i find alot of his stuff almost cheesy and nauseating, but I did go and see him in concert (Santana-B.I.C/Bournemouth/Dorset/29.5.89 and enjoyed it :)

Starting in the late 1970's Santana's choice of material became more hit and miss. He subjected himself to more commercial material and especially on record he misfired. Live Carlos is where he really gets off. The Lotus and Moonflower albums are the epitome of that.

It's such a cliche, but I really love the first few years of Santana, then he himself went off and though his playing is incredible, I found when he started teaming up with hitmakers a bit ......meh...nauseating.

Just by himself he's great! His sound is totally unique. And full of soul/love.

Mike Shrieve........ah...I had such a HUGE crush on him. I saw Santana one of the earlier concerts 69ish, maybe even 68. I was like 14, and I met them all. Long story.

Ohhh do I remember Chepito! <_<:)

Chepito is not shy around the ladies! Hide your wives and girlfriends.

I met Michael Shrieve in an elevator at the O'Hare Hilton. It was on the 1988 Santana reunion tour and he told me he was recording an album with Andy Summers. He seemed pretty down to earth and was cordial.

Edited by Chicago

He has been around for so long and has had some somewhat questionable recordings over the years.But underated no way.The mans up there with the all time greats.He has his own sound.

And of his more recent cds besides Supernatural Milagro has some great tracks on it.I say he would be highly thought of in the elite guitar players circles.

In regards to the thread on the old board, if memory serves, it quickly devolved into discussion of his latter day albums which very few seemed to be all that fond of.

I've only seen Santana in concert twice (Woodstock '94 and on tour with Dylan) and they were very good both times.

...and, speaking of Schon and Shrieve, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this album:

220px-Hsas.jpg

Anyone familiar with Abraxis Pool ? a cd made with the members of the original Santana Band without Carlos.Schon handles the guitar.I love the cd ,brings back that original sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPxEJeQPH3M

The Abraxas Pool is very representative of the original Santana sound...minus Carlos. My favorite song on there is Gabor. The title is dedicated to Gabor Szabo, a Hungarian Gypsy guitarist who wrote Gypsy Queen ( the 2nd half of Black Magic Woman ).

Chepito is not shy around the ladies! Hide your wives and girlfriends.

I met Michael Shrieve in an elevator at the O'Hare Hilton. It was on the 1988 Santana reunion tour and he told me he was recording an album with Andy Summers. He seemed pretty down to earth and was cordial.

Indeed!

And yes, Shrieve IS very down to earth and still loves creating music. He was only 19 or so on that first tour, and at Woodstock.

I saw Santana twice Before I saw Zeppelin, at the same venue.

We got all the west coast bands here.

Mrs. Santana wrote a great read on being ...Mrs. Santana.

I have always loved Santana! He is one of my favorite guitarists and has a sound all his own. It is still nice to see him kicking butt after all these years. I have the Supernatural Live concert on VHS with him performing with different artists such as Lauryn Hill, Rob Thomas, Sarah McClachlan, Dave Matthews and his band and it is excellent. I got up and started dancing, LOL!!