Filght Attendant refuses Woman's plea for air

The Rover

I'm sorry.... but this sounds like some male AA Airline Flight Attendant's attitudes that I have encountered . . . . . A systemic problem with good 'ol AA. I guess they'll just raise some rate for something somewhere to pay for this lawsuit..... They are very fucking creative in the fees dept. over there at the big airlines.....

Dead Woman's Cousin Blames Jet Equipment

By RICHARD PYLE – 4 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Struggling to breathe, American Airlines passenger Carine Desir asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, the woman's cousin said.

"Don't let me die," the cousin, Antonio Oliver, recalled Desir saying after the attendant allegedly refused at first to administer the oxygen Friday.

But Desir did die, Oliver said Sunday in a telephone interview.

He said the flight attendant finally relented but various medical devices on the plane failed, including two oxygen tanks that were found to be empty and what may have been a defibrillator that seemed to malfunction.

American Airlines confirmed the flight death and said medical professionals had tried to save the woman. A spokeswoman for the airline, Sonja Whitemon, wouldn't comment Sunday on Oliver's claims of faulty medical equipment on the plane.

Desir, who had heart disease, died of natural causes, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said Sunday.

Desir had complained of not feeling well and being very thirsty on the Friday flight home from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, after she ate a meal, according to Oliver, who was traveling with her and her brother, Joel Desir. A flight attendant gave her water, he said.

A few minutes later, Desir said she was having "trouble breathing" and asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, Oliver said.

He said other passengers aboard Flight 896 became agitated over the situation, and the flight attendant, apparently after phone consultation with the cockpit, tried to administer oxygen from a portable tank and mask, but the tank was empty.

Oliver said two doctors and two nurses were aboard and tried to administer oxygen from a second tank, which also was empty.

Desir, of New York City, was placed on the floor, and a nurse tried CPR, Oliver said. A "box," possibly a defibrillator, also was applied but didn't function effectively, he said.

Oliver said he then asked for the plane to "land right away so I can get her to a hospital," and the pilot agreed to divert to Miami, 45 minutes away. But during that time Desir collapsed and died, Oliver said.

"Her last words were, 'I cannot breathe,'" he said.

Desir, 44, was pronounced dead by one of the doctors, Joel Shulkin, and the flight continued to John F. Kennedy International Airport, without stopping in Miami. The woman's body was moved to the floor of the first-class section and covered with a blanket, Oliver said.

Shulkin, through his attorney, Justin Nadeau, declined to comment on the incident.

I cannot stand America Airlines, and now they have gone too far. I have encountered many bad flight attendants on AA as well. It pisses me off that everywhere I fly to, I usually have to end up taking them. I hope they get hit hard with a lawsuit.

There's two sides to every story. Her family, of course being very upset, could be trying to look for someone to blame.

And then there's also the question of IF she was aware she had a pre-existing medical condition which could prove fatal, then did she seek medical advice before travelling?

I used to work for an Airline and people's health on board the flight was always a major issue of concern for cabin crew. A passenger not being able to breathe, in my experience, would've been closely watched and attended to by the cabin crew or purser. I just find it a little difficult to believe in a callous cabin crew member who point-blank refused the woman oxygen just out of insensitivity. There must've been some other situation or condition not explained by the news article.

There's two sides to every story. Her family, of course being very upset, could be trying to look for someone to blame.

And then there's also the question of IF she was aware she had a pre-existing medical condition which could prove fatal, then did she seek medical advice before travelling?

I used to work for an Airline and people's health on board the flight was always a major issue of concern for cabin crew. A passenger not being able to breathe, in my experience, would've been closely watched and attended to by the cabin crew or purser. I just find it a little difficult to believe in a callous cabin crew member who point-blank refused the woman oxygen just out of insensitivity. There must've been some other situation or condition not explained by the news article.

Like you said, you weren't there... but as usual you are talking out of your ass again.

Who knows if she had a pre-existing condition or not? The article did not say. But we also don't know if this was a sudden condition like a heart attack or a reaction to something she might have eaten. Your post automatically seems to suggest that the airline is blameless without further facts. In my experience (and since you claim to have worked as a stewardess or something) is that flight attendants are in fact very rude and callous a lot of the time. I fly about 8- 10 times per year and I am constantly amazed at the insanely passive/aggressive behavoir of flight attendants. It's as if they enjoy taking out their frustrations on passengers as if those passengers are captive prisoners to their little shop of horrors.

I could well imagine a flight attendant taking their own sweet time to get a person oxygen the same way that they take their own sweet time getting them water or coffee. I once witnessed a flight attendant refuse to allow a passenger to get her bag from the overhead compartment which had her insulin in it. The older woman was obviously having some problems after eating lunch, but since the "fasten seat belts" sign was on, the flight attendant bitterly scolded the woman to sit down. I would have thought the attendant upon hearing that the woman needed her medication would have said, "please sit down and I'll get if for you." But the flight attendant basically made no effort (although she changed that story later). Well, when I saw what was going on, I got up (and so did two other people nearby at the same time) to get the woman's bag for her. And when we, did this same flight attendant Nazi tried to tell us all to sit down.... FAT CHANCE that was going to happen. I told the bitch to shut up an allow the woman to be helped... and she was helped thanks to some other passengers.

And it was not as if there was some kind major turbulance going on either. When we landed there was at least six or seven people who complained to the Airline (Delta Airlines). But their answer was just like the same bullshit you are saying. That the flight attendant was following guidelines and was blameless.

For fuck sake! You would think that someone on an airline would have the brain power to at least recognize an emergency!

Like I said, MOST flight attendants today are rude assholes with a chip on their shoulder. And the gay men are the worst ones in the bunch.

Well, I feel awful for that woman and her family, and it does sound like she wasn't attended to soon enough.

But I must say that I personally have had much better service from those gay guy flight attendants than the female ones. When my daughter was a toddler, she had a meltdown on the plane. The two female flight attendants kept coming over to tell me to shut her up, but I couldn't (later found out she had an ear infection). They were extremely nasty. The two male attendants decided to take over the situation, and they took turns carrying my kid up and down the aisle and singing to her. It was a godsend, and I was already in tears of frustration by then...so I'll never forget those two fruity guys saving me from losing my mind.

Sorry to go off topic! I hope the truth comes out about that poor woman. How terrible.

Well, I feel awful for that woman and her family, and it does sound like she wasn't attended to soon enough.

But I must say that I personally have had much better service from those gay guy flight attendants than the female ones. When my daughter was a toddler, she had a meltdown on the plane. The two female flight attendants kept coming over to tell me to shut her up, but I couldn't (later found out she had an ear infection). They were extremely nasty. The two male attendants decided to take over the situation, and they took turns carrying my kid up and down the aisle and singing to her. It was a godsend, and I was already in tears of frustration by then...so I'll never forget those two fruity guys saving me from losing my mind.

Sorry to go off topic! I hope the truth comes out about that poor woman. How terrible.

Well, I never said that gay men were not good 'song & dance' men.

I'll give you that one.

Let me guess... were they singing show tunes?

:D

I'm sorry.... but this sounds like some male AA Airline Flight Attendant's attitudes that I have encountered . . . . . A systemic problem with good 'ol AA. I guess they'll just raise some rate for something somewhere to pay for this lawsuit..... They are very fucking creative in the fees dept. over there at the big airlines.....

NEW YORK (AP) — Struggling to breathe, American Airlines passenger Carine Desir asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, the woman's cousin said.

"Don't let me die," the cousin, Antonio Oliver, recalled Desir saying after the attendant allegedly refused at first to administer the oxygen Friday.

He said the flight attendant finally relented but various medical devices on the plane failed, including two oxygen tanks that were found to be empty and what may have been a defibrillator that seemed to malfunction.

American Airlines confirmed the flight death and said medical professionals had tried to save the woman. A spokeswoman for the airline, Sonja Whitemon, wouldn't comment Sunday on Oliver's claims of faulty medical equipment on the plane.

Desir, who had heart disease, died of natural causes, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said Sunday.

Desir had complained of not feeling well and being very thirsty on the Friday flight home from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, after she ate a meal, according to Oliver, who was traveling with her and her brother, Joel Desir. A flight attendant gave her water, he said.

A few minutes later, Desir said she was having "trouble breathing" and asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, Oliver said.

He said other passengers aboard Flight 896 became agitated over the situation, and the flight attendant, apparently after phone consultation with the cockpit, tried to administer oxygen from a portable tank and mask, but the tank was empty.

Oliver said two doctors and two nurses were aboard and tried to administer oxygen from a second tank, which also was empty.

Desir, of New York City, was placed on the floor, and a nurse tried CPR, Oliver said. A "box," possibly a defibrillator, also was applied but didn't function effectively, he said.

Oliver said he then asked for the plane to "land right away so I can get her to a hospital," and the pilot agreed to divert to Miami, 45 minutes away. But during that time Desir collapsed and died, Oliver said.

Desir, 44, was pronounced dead by one of the doctors, Joel Shulkin, and the flight continued to John F. Kennedy International Airport, without stopping in Miami. The woman's body was moved to the floor of the first-class section and covered with a blanket, Oliver said.

Shulkin, through his attorney, Justin Nadeau, declined to comment on the incident.

Just to clarify, Desir did have a pre-existing condition - the article says she had heart disease.

Well, I never said that gay men were not good 'song & dance' men.

I'll give you that one.

Let me guess... were they singing show tunes?

:D

:rolleyes: No, they were singing Barney songs, and making her stuffed Barney dance around. The two women would not let us get out of our seats for a second! I had to physically pin my child down, or one of those bitches would be in my face, snarling at me. When the male attendants saw that, they stepped in. Bless them.

I'm sure the family IS upset. Maybe the are looking for "someone to blame", just as the airline is quite possibly looking to avoid accepting any responsibility whatsoever.

However, two empty oxygen tanks and a nonworking defribillator can't be attributed to the attitude of a flight attendant.

I've flown many times over the years and have come across pleasant and helpful attendants, bitchy attendants with chips on their shoulders, indifferent attendants, and often some combination of all of those.

~~~~~~~

The pre-existing heart condition may or may not have been a factor in the woman's death. The article doesn't say what kind of "heart condition" she had or how severe it was.

At best, the two empty oxygen tanks and faulty defibrillator didn't help, and at worst, could have played a major part in the woman's death. Somebody definitely needs to deal with that issue ASAP.

Considering how cramped the seating is nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if she developed a blood clot in her leg and it broke loose. Those can develop pretty quickly and have devastating results... and recent studies have shown them to be increasing in frequency on airline flights.

Like you said, you weren't there... but as usual you are talking out of your ass again.

Like I said, MOST flight attendants today are rude assholes with a chip on their shoulder. And the gay men are the worst ones in the bunch.

I wasn't there, no, but the difference between you and me Del is that I'm not that stupid and gullible to believe an online news article...

All we have in that news article is accusations from family members, that due to their distress could be inaccurate...

I just want to hear their airline's version of events, then we can weigh up both sides of the story. You know, like your favourite GOP news channel, Fox news, you know how they claim to be "fair and balanced?"

Oh by the way, Del, I too am gay, so I guess I can anticipate your prejudice, and sex slurs, and stereotypical jokes...

According to the airlines, the doctor on board the flight, thought it would be better to pump the oxygen manually ( like how they do it on TV) to get air more into her. Second a heart def liberator will not work if it senses a heartbeat, in which the doctor concur with. I did see this on the Oreily factor that aired on Fox News Channel.

I'm sure the family IS upset. Maybe the are looking for "someone to blame", just as the airline is quite possibly looking to avoid accepting any responsibility whatsoever.

However, two empty oxygen tanks and a nonworking defribillator can't be attributed to the attitude of a flight attendant.

I've flown many times over the years and have come across pleasant and helpful attendants, bitchy attendants with chips on their shoulders, indifferent attendants, and often some combination of all of those.

~~~~~~~

The pre-existing heart condition may or may not have been a factor in the woman's death. The article doesn't say what kind of "heart condition" she had or how severe it was.

The airline, if it is responsible, of course will be looking for ways to extricate themselves from that responsibility.

The article said she had heart disease. Which is an umbrella term that can refer to conditions such as cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, Ishaemic heart disease etc. All of these diseases are very potentially fatal, and quite suddenly fatal too. However the article does not say whether she was aware of this heart disease or not. IF IF IF (that's for you, Del) she WAS aware of a potentially fatal medical condition, then it is up to her to seek medical advice to see if she is fit to travel. IF she did seek advice and they said not to fly, but she still did, or if she knew of the risks of her condition and did not seek advice, then frankly it's her own fault for putting herself in a potentially health-damaging situation.

If the airline had equipment such as oxygen tanks or defibulators that weren't working, well then obvioulsy they have a lot of explaining to do.

But I don't think this story and this thread should be used merely to complain about inflight service,

This is obviously a very tragic situation, where a woman has died, and there needs to be a lot of investigation into what exactly happened and how to prevent tragic situations like this occuring again.

And people using this situation and this story to whinge about inflight service, and how the stewardess gave you chicken instead of beef for dinner is really quite pathetic and trivial.

I wasn't there, no, but the difference between you and me Del is that I'm not that stupid and gullible to believe an online news article...

All we have in that news article is accusations from family members, that due to their distress could be inaccurate...

I just want to hear their airline's version of events, then we can weigh up both sides of the story. You know, like your favourite GOP news channel, Fox news, you know how they claim to be "fair and balanced?"

Fox News is too liberal for my tastes. I get most of my news from The Wall Street Journal.

Oh by the way, Del, I too am gay, so I guess I can anticipate your prejudice, and sex slurs, and stereotypical jokes...

:lol: You're kidding right?

Good one though.

:unsure:

Like I said, MOST flight attendants today are rude assholes with a chip on their shoulder.

I once took an internal flight in the US from New Jersey to LA with my daughter who was then 4. We arrived a little early for check-in, but found out that an earlier flight had been cancelled and all those from that flight had already been checked onto mine - and as a consequence, there were no 2 seats left together. I obviously protested, but before I could get very far the check-in girl said that naturally we would not be expected to sit apart from each-other and that the flight attendants would take care of this once I got on the plane. This could not have been further from the truth. The attendant was the most obnoxious man I have ever met and flat out refused to try to seat us together - we stood trying to sort this out for nearly 15 minutes until a middle-aged man actually got up from his seat at the rear of the plane to enable us to take it and the empty seat beside him. He said he was ashamed of the way we had been treated. On my arrival at my destination, I phoned the head of the company and said that if they EVER did that to me again, and seated my tiny child beside a stranger who so much as brushed her cheek, I would sue the ass off them all. They couldn't have been more apologetic, and offered me VIP status on every future flight. I told the people at check-in about this on my return flight, and they denied all knowledge. I will never fly with them again.

Conversely, I have 3 friends who are flight attendants who are great, and have encountered many others who have made flying an enjoyable experience. Like all walks of life, I guess.

I once took an internal flight in the US from New Jersey to LA with my daughter who was then 4. We arrived a little early for check-in, but found out that an earlier flight had been cancelled and all those from that flight had already been checked onto mine - and as a consequence, there were no 2 seats left together. I obviously protested, but before I could get very far the check-in girl said that naturally we would not be expected to sit apart from each-other and that the flight attendants would take care of this once I got on the plane. This could not have been further from the truth. The attendant was the most obnoxious man I have ever met and flat out refused to try to seat us together - we stood trying to sort this out for nearly 15 minutes until a middle-aged man actually got up from his seat at the rear of the plane to enable us to take it and the empty seat beside him. He said he was ashamed of the way we had been treated. On my arrival at my destination, I phoned the head of the company and said that if they EVER did that to me again, and seated my tiny child beside a stranger who so much as brushed her cheek, I would sue the ass off them all. They couldn't have been more apologetic, and offered me VIP status on every future flight. I told the people at check-in about this on my return flight, and they denied all knowledge. I will never fly with them again.

Conversely, I have 3 friends who are flight attendants who are great, and have encountered many others who have made flying an enjoyable experience. Like all walks of life, I guess.

I just don't know what it is with the modern Flight Attendants these days, because I see stuff like this all the time now. I don't know if it's low pay or working too many hours, or the fact that they are given the impression that they are always right and the 'customer/passenger' is not. But the other problem I see is that when they push a passenger so hard that the passenger gets angry and raises their voice, then the members of the flight crew play the "he's a risk to the flight in his state of mind bullshit," and then don't allow the upset customer to board the flight. Basically they get off on fucking with people.

I'm telling you it's really sick the attitude many of them have now. It didn't used to be like that years ago.

I just don't know what it is with the modern Flight Attendants these days, because I see stuff like this all the time now. I don't know if it's low pay or working too many hours, or the fact that they are given the impression that they are always right and the 'customer/passenger' is not. But the other problem I see is that when they push a passenger so hard that the passenger gets angry and raises their voice, then the members of the flight crew play the "he's a risk to the flight in his state of mind bullshit," and then don't allow the upset customer to board the flight. Basically they get off on fucking with people.

I'm telling you it's really sick the attitude many of them have now. It didn't used to be like that years ago.

Yeah he had started to take that attitude with me and I was afraid we were going to be kicked off the flight - it was basically "Sit down, shut up, or I will have you removed". In retrospect I really wish I had made more of a fuss before boarding, where there would have been more people to deal with it and not just one ridiculous power-crazed John Oates look-alike. :rolleyes:

:lol: You're kidding right?

No <_<

But you know, I have to travel all the time with my job, domestically and internationally, and I've never ever had a problem with cabin crew or airline staff. And I've travelled on some famously rude airlines like Air France, and they were fine. They treat you better if you speak to them in French of course. But that's a thing with the French.

Best airline I've ever travelled for staff attentiveness was Japan Airlines. They're really good. I got delayed in Tokyo and only arrived at the airport 5 minutes before my flight was due to leave, and my God, they got me on that flight, they went crazy on the telephone, threw me through Customs and got me on board the flight like you wouldn't believe.

I also had another time on a Japan Airlines flight from Paris where I had originally asked to sit in the smoking section but then I got stuck in a shitty seat next to these pain-in-the-ass guys so I got up and spoke to the stewardess and asked her if i could move, and they found me another seat upstairs on the plane and it was great.

I really recommend them actually

Just to clarify, Desir did have a pre-existing condition - the article says she had heart disease.

Sorry, but just to clarify one step further, I'm sure that the medical examiner's office could tell during their examination that this woman had heart disease, so I expect that bit of information probably came from the ME's office, not the family or the airline.

And that's all I have to say.

The airline, if it is responsible, of course will be looking for ways to extricate themselves from that responsibility.

The article said she had heart disease. Which is an umbrella term that can refer to conditions such as cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, Ishaemic heart disease etc. All of these diseases are very potentially fatal, and quite suddenly fatal too. However the article does not say whether she was aware of this heart disease or not. IF IF IF (that's for you, Del) she WAS aware of a potentially fatal medical condition, then it is up to her to seek medical advice to see if she is fit to travel. IF she did seek advice and they said not to fly, but she still did, or if she knew of the risks of her condition and did not seek advice, then frankly it's her own fault for putting herself in a potentially health-damaging situation.

Yes, "heart disease" is a very vague term that can cover a lot of diseases and disorders... some of them serious, some of them not so serious. FWIW, I was a nurse for 20+ years, and spent about 10 of those in ICU... so I get it that "heart disease" can mean something serious and potentially lethal... but also that it doesn't always mean that. There are thousands or millions of people with "heart disease" who are doing fine. That's why I worded things the way I did. Even if oxygen had been provided promptly, etc. it might not have mattered... or it might have been the difference between living and dying.

If the airline had equipment such as oxygen tanks or defibulators that weren't working, well then obvioulsy they have a lot of explaining to do.

Exactly.

But I don't think this story and this thread should be used merely to complain about inflight service,

This is obviously a very tragic situation, where a woman has died, and there needs to be a lot of investigation into what exactly happened and how to prevent tragic situations like this occuring again.

Exactly.

Some complaining about inflight service is probably inevitible. Sometimes if one looks at the complaints beyond dismissal as 'whinging', one can find trends or potential trouble spots. I'm not claiming this thread is the place for it, but some whining is kinda expectable.

And people using this situation and this story to whinge about inflight service, and how the stewardess gave you chicken instead of beef for dinner is really quite pathetic and trivial.

Wow, some airlines still serve meals? :huh: It's been years since I ever got more than honey-roasted peanuts and a glass of soda with 3 ice cubes in it ... unless I brought it myself. However, I'll refrain from posting stories in this thread about my flying experiences. B)

Wow, some airlines still serve meals? :huh: It's been years since I ever got more than honey-roasted peanuts and a glass of soda with 3 ice cubes in it ... unless I brought it myself. However, I'll refrain from posting stories in this thread about my flying experiences. B)

Yeah, I don't fly budget airlines ;)

Archived