The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

Thank you so much for the information! Can´t wait to buy the vinyl.

Btw, if you love the Private Eyes album on vinyl,  I really have to recommend the Speakers Corner Records release of the year 2017. Speakers Corner used the master tapes, remastered them in a gentle, brilliant way and kept the whole manufacturing process pure analogue. I have first pressings and a promo copy in NM, but the Speakers Corner version sounds second to none.

29 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

Thank you so much for the information! Can´t wait to buy the vinyl.

Btw, if you love the Private Eyes album on vinyl,  I really have to recommend the Speakers Corner Records release of the year 2017. Speakers Corner used the master tapes, remastered them in a gentle, brilliant way and kept the whole manufacturing process pure analogue. I have first pressings and a promo copy in NM, but the Speakers Corner version sounds second to none.

👍Will have to keep my eyes open for that, thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 1:56 PM, Brigante said:

Not sure who they asked in order to determine that Bustin' Out For Rosey is Bolin's 'most popular song'.

Maybe the same clowns who are responsible  for the 2017 vinyl release of the Northern Lights recordings from Sept. 1976. This uneven, uninspired performance clearly shows the limited capacity of Johnny Bolin. I know it was a hard time for Tommy Bolin, the ugly breakup with longtime-love Karen, his increasing problems with booze and hard drugs, Narada Michael Walden had left and Bobby Berge wasn´t available either. But to put Johnny on the same stage with Haslip, Stein & Bell was truly a bad decision. Sorry to say that, but imho every high school band should have a far better drummer than Johnny was back in 1976. There are excellent shows from the first tour in April/May 76 and of course the mindblowing Ebbets Field shows from 1974 which would highly deserve a vinyl release.

Anyway, I am excited about the upcoming LP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Tommy Bolin was a American guitarist in a British band. Also, that concert was taken in Long Beach California, and was literally their only above-average perforamce of the Come Taste The Band tour. Listen to the Last Live In Japan 1975, and it just sucks, man. Tommy is so god damn high, that Jon Lord has to play the guitar parts on the keyboards. Same with the Liverpool show in '76. It just sucks. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, reids said:

Whoosh! out today. I ordered the cd/dvd combo & should have it next Tues.

Until then, I’ve been watching the rehearsal video and listening to several threads. Here’s one with snippets of the album tracks. 

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/deep-purple-whoosh-new-album-listen-stream-download/

R😎

I sorta stopped collecting their records after Rapture Of The Deep.... y'know why. 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, Rodrigo said:

I have a CD of 'Made In Europe' Russian version (pirate for sure), that comes with some bonus tracks, among them, 'The Gypsy'.

I love the album 'Stormbringer', it was the first Deep Purple album I heard.

Stormbringer is much for funk & R&B then the previous Burn. I do enjoy funk music, but I also find it sad that it was the first album you heard. The first one I heard was Fireball. 

However, at least you got to Soldier Of Fortune before me.... and damn, that is a song only a Mr. David Coverdale could do 

4 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Tommy Bolin was a American guitarist in a British band. Also, that concert was taken in Long Beach California, and was literally their only above-average perforamce of the Come Taste The Band tour. Listen to the Last Live In Japan 1975, and it just sucks, man. Tommy is so god damn high, that Jon Lord has to play the guitar parts on the keyboards. Same with the Liverpool show in '76. It just sucks. 

I've heard the last show in Liverpool was a disaster, and the Asian tour in '75 was ill-fated to put it mildly.  (I believe the reason Lord had to fill in the guitar parts in Japan was because Bolin got some bad smack in Indonesia and his left arm was immobilized.  A former Zep roadie working for Purple was murdered in Indonesia, probably by the promoters who were shaking the band down.)  But the bootlegs from New Zealand in '75 and Miami in '76 are both kick-ass, so I disagree that Mark IV couldn't get it done on stage.  Obviously the drug problems made it hit-or-miss, but there was too much rock 'n roll talent in that line-up for it to be sub-par live.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I've heard the last show in Liverpool was a disaster, and the Asian tour in '75 was ill-fated to put it mildly.  (I believe the reason Lord had to fill in the guitar parts in Japan was because Bolin got some bad smack in Indonesia and his left arm was immobilized.  A former Zep roadie working for Purple was murdered in Indonesia, probably by the promoters who were shaking the band down.)  But the bootlegs from New Zealand in '75 and Miami in '76 are both kick-ass, so I disagree that Mark IV couldn't get it done on stage.  Obviously the drug problems made it hit-or-miss, but there was too much rock 'n roll talent in that line-up for it to be sub-par live.

Bolin did not get some bad smack in Indonesia. Or at least, that's not the reason he played shit. He had gotten high at the Tokyo hotel, and fell asleep on his arm for 8 hours. 

Their show at the Budokan was attended by 14,000 people - a record breaking crowd. However, they did play a beautiful "Soldier Of Fortune". 

Miami had an amazing setlist, and NZ was pretty good, considering it to be one of the first shows of the tour. But, as soon as they hit Australia it was clear the end was near....

5 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Bolin did not get some bad smack in Indonesia. Or at least, that's not the reason he played shit. He had gotten high at the Tokyo hotel, and fell asleep on his arm for 8 hours. 

Their show at the Budokan was attended by 14,000 people - a record breaking crowd. However, they did play a beautiful "Soldier Of Fortune". 

Miami had an amazing setlist, and NZ was pretty good, considering it to be one of the first shows of the tour. But, as soon as they hit Australia it was clear the end was near....

Wheter inferior smack or bad shot, his left arm was numb after that event in Indonesia, badly affecting his playing on the following Japan shows. His claim of falling asleep on his arm was just a lame excuse. 

17 hours ago, Brigante said:

Yeh, we always used to howl whenever Glenn Hughes trotted out that 'Tommy fell asleep on his arm' yarn.
As feeble excuses go, that's up there with my homework ate the dog and Skylab fell on my nan...

and I may add Jimmy getting "food poisoning" in Chicago 1977. The man was living on a diet of banana daquiris & french fries, how does anyone get food poisoning from banana daquiris & french fries? Bad spud? Bad banana???

There sure were quite a few musicians back in the day either falling asleep on their arms or getting food poisoning. Curious that.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:36 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Wheter inferior smack or bad shot, his left arm was numb after that event in Indonesia, badly affecting his playing on the following Japan shows. His claim of falling asleep on his arm was just a lame excuse. 

What was the incident in Indonesia though? 

On 2/28/2021 at 3:37 AM, Brigante said:

Nah:

Yes, this has to be the ultimate live version of Wild Dogs! Compared to the TBB live versions, which are ruined by the cheesy keyboard sounds of Mark Stein, this one truly shines. Soulful, melancholic vocals by Tommy and superb backing vocals by Glenn. And THAT guitar solo is beyond words, still gives me goosebumps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, Brigante said:

Nah:

You can have your opinion. Yes, I agree, Wild Dogs is the clear stand-out of the night. There is also a great Soldier Of Fortune. But Jon Lord having to play the guitar parts.

Yes, I remember the first time I played Last Concert In Japan and the Hammond played the riff to Burn! 😲 
I improved the whole album once - I had a Teac two-track, where you could take one channel and put it into mono across both channels. For my own amusement, I taped the lp but put the single channel that Bolin's in across both left and right channels - Burn was still dodgy, but the rest of it sounded infinitely better. Far better than Simon Robinson's later official remix, simply because the guitar was much louder! 😄 
One weird thing about it, though - Bolin was in the left channel, so that was the one I spread across both in mono...but the solo in Lady Luck was in the right channel.
On the whole lp, that one solo was the only guitar part that was in a different channel. Made me wonder if it'd been overdubbed. 
Shame, cos that live solo on LCIJ is way better than the one Tommy played on the studio version of Lady Luck.