Weird Animals

FuzzyMerkin

axolotl.jpg

The Axolotl may not a common pet, but it is very unique. The axolotl is a type of salamander, native to Mexico. It’s scientific name is Ambystoma mexicanum. The common pet or laboratory Axolotl refers exclusively to A. mexicanum, although in Mexico the term Axolotl is used in reference to several species of Ambystoma, and is considered an edible food source!

The Axolotl is neotenic, meaning that it doesn’t routinely undergo metamorphosis from the larval to adult form, as happens with most other salamanders. Instead, the larval form (with gills) becomes sexually mature and reproduces, maintaining a strictly aquatic life style. Under some circumstances, the Axolotl can undergo metamorphosis into a terrestrial from, although this can be stressful on the animal.

You gotta love this one for its cartoon like features.

Two other unique creatures, the nautilus and the sea horse.

their mobility is interesting...the nautilus with its semi buoyancy propolsion and the sea horse has its fluttering helicopter like mobility.

Speaking of nautical creatures. I have a poster of a bull shark, apparently its from the 70s and has become quite a famous photo. The shark is in black and white and the surrounding water is blue/colorized. Its from an almost head on angle...and with the perspective, when you look at it for awhile, the tail appears to move, a swimming motion. Perspective wise, the shark is like swimming out of the picture. Very cool poster...not cool if you were in the water and seeing it ofcourse.

I've caught many of these in California.

The Lingcod (very ferocious with canine teeth)

450lingxx_236_cover2.jpg

We have those here on the east coast, we call them dog fish, or toad fish. yeah they are full of teeth, but harmless really. When we were kids we dived for golf balls off a golf course and these fish tended to stay around golf balls, for either vision purposes, or attraction of killies, grass shrimp or whatever else. Anyway, we had dove down with sticks to scare them away, so we could get the golf balls and sell them back to the golfers. :D:D:D:D great memories. Ultimately, a bad business though...rich golfers, wayyyyy too cheap.

I think I about pissed myself laughing at that Blobfish. :hysterical:

And whoever posted Anglerfish, I definatly agree.

This is a creepy creature

giant-isopod.jpg

:blink:

Dude, what the fuck is that?! Ew.

Here are a few more:

shoebill.jpg

slenderloris.JPG

shrimp-5.jpg

frogfish03.jpg

This is a creepy creature

giant-isopod.jpg

First of all, a horseshoe crab looks scary...and is harmless. I think i saw this creature on the food channel. Its from the indonesia, north australia waters i think. Its like a shrimp/sand crab...or atleast thats what it looks like.

I know that the photo says its a shrimp, but the claws look like a lobster... i was thinking baby lobster, or translucent lobster type creature.

All I can think is that the eyes make it look exactly like Dr. Zoidburg from Futurama. :lol: Just color it pink.

First of all, a horseshoe crab looks scary...and is harmless. I think i saw this creature on the food channel. Its from the indonesia, north australia waters i think. Its like a shrimp/sand crab...or atleast thats what it looks like.

It reminds me a bit of an oversized mite:

05_15_MILBE.JPG

Like it was hit by some magic magnification beam (and not only beaten with the ugly stick).

That disgusting thing is a giant isopod, not a horseshoe crab. The horseshoe crab isn't so gross. If I ran into one of those things I'd want a pitch fork- it looks like a giant bug.

Nessie

nessie.jpg

Sorry but I just had to, she only lives 2 miles up the road.

Two miles up the road and this is the best pic you've got?

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Nessie.

That disgusting thing is a giant isopod, not a horseshoe crab. The horseshoe crab isn't so gross. If I ran into one of those things I'd want a pitch fork- it looks like a giant bug.

yeah i know, was just saying that a horseshoe crab looks scary, but is harmless.

But yeah i agree, that creature is an intense looking and bug like.

spider crabs, another interesting looking creature.

I like those. They look like they're wearing some kind of furry gloves - to which I can relate given that my hands are cold most of the time. :D

I saw an Axolotl in an aquarium some years ago - that creature was right spooky! When we walked up to the aquarium, it spied us and came crawling over from the other end of the container to stare at us with its bulging eyes...that strange smile doesn't help either.... Creepy! :blink::unsure:

:lol: Actually, the more I look at it, the cuter it gets. I guess it's not so bad after all. :D

Archived