Flawed hero's

Northern Monkey

Based on a pub conversation we had last week (well drunken ramblings) about how your perceptions of people change over time.

As an impressionable young lad (looooooooong ago) I had two passions, playing the guitar and long distance running.

My ultimate guitar hero was Glen Buxton (RIP) of the Alice Cooper band, especially solos such as Generation Landslide, Big Apple Dreaming and various others. I found out years later that Buxton had serious addiction problems and in fact he was mixed very low live and Mick Mashbir played lead live with Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter playing lead on the albums Billion Dollar Babies and Muscle of Love.

My running hero was Lasse Viron the great Finnish runner in the 70's I remeber being devastaed when my Dad told me he used steriods and thats why he never won anything else apart from the Olympics. This is probably not true, but dont run anymore so not particularly bothered................but the Buxton thing still irks.

Any fallen heros out there.

Not just in music, but it's rare to find someone who is considered a hero who isn't very human with issues/problems like anyone else. Especially athletes...look at people like Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth, larger than life figures with vices and dark sides. There are probably a LOT of people out there who grew up and found that their childhood heros weren't who they thought they were.

Not just in music, but it's rare to find someone who is considered a hero who isn't very human with issues/problems like anyone else. Especially athletes...look at people like Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth, larger than life figures with vices and dark sides. There are probably a LOT of people out there who grew up and found that their childhood heros weren't who they thought they were.

Probably most of us found this to be the case. I guess it's the unrealistic expectations we and the media put on these people.

Interesting comments. Working in academia you develop role models or people you admire only to find out that they are not such good people. There is an old saying, careful who you kick on the way up, as you might need them on the way down.

I have known on several occaisions PhD students opening a journal only to find their work published by their own Prof..............who really doesnt need the Kudos.

Science is littered with people recieving credit, getting things named after them or even a nobel prize based on the work of a research assistant or student.

I would like to think I would never do this......... :unsure:

my father. he stoped drinking. and goes to church now. he lies sometimes. so there's still hope.

wagner layed down a few studio solos on killer but glen played them live and could handle them.

So I gather, I think it was after or during the Schools Out tour when the rot set in.

On the Live album from the billion dollar babies tour you can clkearly hear 3 guitars in the mix, and on the DVD in Alice's commentry he says Glen was playing really well...........but he still doesnt appear to take many solos.....only the song '18' from what I can see.............oh and the special effects at the end of my stars............think its called an echoplex.

On the Live album from the billion dollar babies tour you can clkearly hear 3 guitars in the mix

i'm really not certain about him falling apart to the point he couldn't function in the band. from what i've heard , despite his drug problems, he was always the fire in the band. the guy that always pushed and inspired everyone else to go further. though they did call wagner in to speed up work on killer, i don't know if glen was in a stupor or what the problem was. the live album? i guess you're referring to the movie "glad to see you again", they probablly overdubbed a lot of things to pollish them up. i don't know.

Where do I begin?

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa: I loved each one of these guys until I found out about...ya know. Thank God Ken Griffey Jr. (my favorite modern ballplayer) hasn't been convicted of anythin yet

Russel Crowe: I love his movies and I love his acting, but apparently he's a douchebag in real life. Oh well, hell of an actor

I say this all the time and I"m sure you all are tired of it, but Janis Joplin. She showed me that it's okay to be who you are and there is no reason to be ashamed of who you are.

That's why I hate JJ. Just be yourself and don't give a rats ass about how you treat anybody. There is no reason to be ashamed of who you are? How about murderers and child molesters? How about plain old being mean to people? Is that okay?

John Lennon was a very flawed man, but I still love him. Everyone is flawed, just some are more flawed then others. If everyone was perfect, people wouldn't be interesting, would they?

John Lennon seemed very honest about his flaws. Always coming to terms with who he was. I guess there is no choice when you are as exposed as he was.

I guess we can add Elliot Spitzer to the list.

Eddie Van Halen too, several times over.

That's why I hate JJ. Just be yourself and don't give a rats ass about how you treat anybody. There is no reason to be ashamed of who you are? How about murderers and child molesters? How about plain old being mean to people? Is that okay?

That is not what she was about at all and you know it. Janis Joplin was the hero to the oddballs of the country. She was the voice of the hippies and people who society rejects simply because they don't measure up to the standards it's set. For example, the "losers" in high school. Sometimes they afraid to admit that they watch 'Star Trek" or something religiously. Janis basically championed the fact that they should not care if other people didn't like Star Trek, that learning to love yourself is more important than being liked by other people.

It's a concept developed by the Enlightenment.

And no, I don't think JJ would promote the abuse of children, nor the murder of innocents :rolleyes:

Come on, let's not get stupid ideas like that..she wasn't that radical.

That is not what she was about at all and you know it. Janis Joplin was the hero to the oddballs of the country. She was the voice of the hippies and people who society rejects simply because they don't measure up to the standards it's set. For example, the "losers" in high school. Sometimes they afraid to admit that they watch 'Star Trek" or something religiously. Janis basically championed the fact that they should not care if other people didn't like Star Trek, that learning to love yourself is more important than being liked by other people.

It's a concept developed by the Enlightenment.

And no, I don't think JJ would promote the abuse of children, nor the murder of innocents :rolleyes:

Come on, let's not get stupid ideas like that..she wasn't that radical.

Sorry about that. I don't know what got into me.

John Lennon seemed very honest about his flaws. Always coming to terms with who he was. I guess there is no choice when you are as exposed as he was.

Yep. That's why I can personally still respect him, even though he did a lot of really, really bad things and definatly had a lot of issues: because he recognized that he had issues and did his best to get over and deal with them. I think that's why we HAVE those problems, if you look at it philosophically. We're supposed to do our best to overcome them.

Hi all,

My worthless two cents,.......today,we -make-, see these people as heros?WHAT? A baseball player?An actor,musician,etc,...excuse me? :blink:

How about one of your own parents? A teacher that helped you open your eyes,a soldier "who gave his tomorrow,for your today",the everyday person who by chance saved anothers life,...

Geez! :huh:

KB

p.s, there use to be a baseball player(s) who gave it all up (Ted Williams) and actor(s) (Jimmy Steward)

RIP Mr Tillman!

Archived