Jimmy Page

gina62

Good find. but not to get off subject but the guy stated this.

"There is an anti-guitar-hero thing going on in America," Faulkner says. "It's like an anti-vibe on people who can actually play."

Is that true, I have the same exact thoughts, but i never thought about it that way. Is showmanship dead?

Showmanship - no, musicianship - pretty much, yes. Sadly I don't think musicianship is valued as it once was. But if anything, that's even *more* true in British pop and rock music than American, IMO. And it's been going on for ages -- ever since punk threw over the old guard.

Still I find it hard to believe that club owners would tell Newton to "dumb down" his playing. I've heard his single "Dream Catch Me" -- it's very nice, but there's nothing intimidating or muso-ish about his playing, you know? So I wouldn't be surprised if he's exaggerating a bit, getting some publicity/buzz for himself.

Showmanship - no, musicianship - pretty much, yes. Sadly I don't think musicianship is valued as it once was. But if anything, that's even *more* true in British pop and rock music than American, IMO. And it's been going on for ages -- ever since punk threw over the old guard.

Still I find it hard to believe that club owners would tell Newton to "dumb down" his playing. I've heard his single "Dream Catch Me" -- it's very nice, but there's nothing intimidating or muso-ish about his playing, you know? So I wouldn't be surprised if he's exaggerating a bit, getting some publicity/buzz for himself.

He's very different live to how he is on that single.

During a recent tour of the US, however, Faulkner was advised to dumb down his music.

"There is an anti-guitar-hero thing going on in America," Faulkner says. "It's like an anti-vibe on people who can actually play.

"I like music. If you can play, fair enough. But if you play really well, why should you try to deny it? It's ridiculous."

Today's "rock" "music" scene consists of nothing but poseur geeks with socks on their heads and shorts baggy enough to store a month's worth of shit, spasmodically strangling the only 2 chords they know. They envy and fear exposure by the example of real players, so they pretend that mere musicianship is beneath their "artistry".

Thanks, MTV! :rant:

During a recent tour of the US, however, Faulkner was advised to dumb down his music.

"There is an anti-guitar-hero thing going on in America," Faulkner says. "It's like an anti-vibe on people who can actually play.

"I like music. If you can play, fair enough. But if you play really well, why should you try to deny it? It's ridiculous."

Today's "rock" "music" scene consists of nothing but poseur geeks with socks on their heads and shorts baggy enough to store a month's worth of shit, spasmodically strangling the only 2 chords they know. They envy and fear exposure by the example of real players, so they pretend that mere musicianship is beneath their "artistry".

Thanks, MTV! :rant:

Good point. Personally I feel that there is great talent out there . but your right. IMHO It's not being touted. If you think about it, we should be talking about a number of bands that would make Led Zeppelin somewhat redundant. I think Jimmy and Robert would agree on that. Where are the Amhet's of the world ?

In 1965, Jimi Hendrix wrote to his father :

"Nowadays people don't want you to sing good. They want you to sing sloppy and have a good beat to your songs. That's what angle I'm going to shoot for. That's where the money is. So just in case about three or four months from now you might hear a record by me which sounds terrible, don't feel ashamed, just wait until the money rolls in because every day people are singing worse and worse on purpose and the public buys more and more records."

The perception too technical/sloppy is as old as rock itself. Musicians always feel market pressures. Be yourself. Thats what people like.

In 1965, Jimi Hendrix wrote to his father :

"Nowadays people don't want you to sing good. They want you to sing sloppy and have a good beat to your songs. That's what angle I'm going to shoot for. That's where the money is. So just in case about three or four months from now you might hear a record by me which sounds terrible, don't feel ashamed, just wait until the money rolls in because every day people are singing worse and worse on purpose and the public buys more and more records."

The perception too technical/sloppy is as old as rock itself. Musicians always feel market pressures. Be yourself. Thats what people like.

Hear, hear. That's it for sure

Of course this statement begs the question: "Why do women need a hand at things men 'used to' dominate?"

edited because I mis-read Lidless Eye's post, sorry!

Maybe Lady Raven means, give women a hand by not holding them down?

Hear, hear. That's it for sure

edited because I mis-read Lidless Eye's post, sorry!

Maybe Lady Raven means, give women a hand by not holding them down?

Maybe, but I don't think women are being held down by men when it comes to earning a living. Most income disparities we hear endlessly reported in the lefty media are due to the fact that women usually take more time off work than men (mainly to raise kids), rather than due to any petty male jealousy.

There are, however, some job-related issues that really do make many men resentful: women in jobs they're just not physically equipped for, for instance. In the Navy, they had to lower standards for stretcher bearing (2 women on one end). Similar accommodations have been made in firefighting strength standards. I know that if I were a fire casualty, or a soldier who'd just had my legs blown off by, say, an IED in El Presidente Jorge Boosh's Iraq goatfuck, I'd want a strong male to carry what remained of my ass out of further danger.

To sum up: I don't want to prohibit women from earning equal pay for truly equal work - but I despise the sham "equality" forced on us by radical feminists (and the male pussies who cave to them).

Maybe, but I don't think women are being held down by men when it comes to earning a living. Most income disparities we hear endlessly reported in the lefty media are due to the fact that women usually take more time off work than men (mainly to raise kids), rather than due to any petty male jealousy.

There are, however, some job-related issues that really do make many men resentful: women in jobs they're just not physically equipped for, for instance. In the Navy, they had to lower standards for stretcher bearing (2 women on one end). Similar accommodations have been made in firefighting strength standards. I know that if I were a fire casualty, or a soldier who'd just had my legs blown off by, say, an IED in El Presidente Jorge Boosh's Iraq goatfuck, I'd want a strong male to carry what remained of my ass out of further danger.

To sum up: I don't want to prohibit women from earning equal pay for truly equal work - but I despise the sham "equality" forced on us by radical feminists (and the male pussies who cave to them).

Well said. I feel the same way and being a member of the military myself in the combat arms i have delt with the above stated example first hand in Afghanistan. As you stated though i truely feel if you can do the job the way its layed out for all then power to ya.

Regards

Cav

Good find. but not to get off subject but the guy stated this.

"There is an anti-guitar-hero thing going on in America," Faulkner says. "It's like an anti-vibe on people who can actually play."

Is that true, I have the same exact thoughts, but i never thought about it that way. Is showmanship dead?

Watch the Showmanship come back with a bang...and you thought the lead singer from "The Darkness" had good vocals.

B)

Well said. I feel the same way and being a member of the military myself in the combat arms i have delt with the above stated example first hand in Afghanistan. As you stated though i truely feel if you can do the job the way its layed out for all then power to ya.

Regards

Cav

Thank you for your service in the legitimate war on terror.

Archived