TSRTS Soundtrack!

bonzo1026

So, what's wrong with NO Quarter?

In the original 1976 soundtrack version, the solo of Jones and Page is cutted at the end... in the new remastered version, Jones solo is cutted at the end, and Page's solo is cutted from the beginning...

But I did my "complete" version using both sources... is simple. Just rip in wave form from the remaster and the original versions, and use a wave editor.

Here is a quick dirty way I did with CoolEdit Pro 2.1 in Multitrack Mode:

Remastered 0:00 to 5:11.943, then fade down to 5:12.208 (APROX)

Original fade up from 5:19.451 - 5:19.805, then fade down 6:54.468 - 6:56.991 (APROX) and try to turn up volume on this track to match the remastered version (took me "6.0" on volume with Cool Edit)

Remastered fade up from 6:46.960 to 6:49.497 (APROX) and make it up to the very end.

Find the way to match the spots and then you have it

Then you just have a more complete version of NQ and if you do the splice correctly you will not even notice the change, unlessof course for the tape hiss.

I will work on Dazed later but will take more time, since there are difficult parts to match without losing timing and I have to bring my friend to lend me his system.

Don't ask me for this version to share. Just take your time to do it and learn a few things.

Really Sorry......

Couldn't be bothered to read through all the replies and pick one I fancied answering.

Anyway....the cd sounds great.

The DVD on the other hand.....well..... I think there's a few corners cut.

I would have loved it if the album.."At Last", worked in sync with the vid.

Obviously. the sound for both is great.

But ....the visuals are sufferring once again. By this I mean that there was an obvious compromise made before the DVD was released. As always Jimmy has made sure that the band sound superb. However I was really hoping that the DVD was going to be, at the very least, following the same set-list.

I reckon there was a question of 'MONEY" that reared it's ugly head at some point and unfortunately certain corners were cut.

Otherwise the whole concert would have been presented in the amazing Hi-Def from "Rock and Roll" to " The Ocean" in true set list order.

It's not even that oversight that ticks me off, it's the fact that there are 2 key tracks for this gig that are presented as extras instead. What a shame! It would have only taken a few hours and a bit of colour correcting to put things right.

I'd have done it for nothing.

So I guess in a little while i'll be one of the many to offer the "Song Remains The Same DVD" in the proper running order.

Cheers!

FAO Old Quad Guy

Thanks for the reply, I omitted to say that I currently own a Poineer PD-D6-J SACD player, A-A9-J amp and S-H-10V(-W)speakers. I have recently bought about 15 SACDs and am really enjoying the improved sound quality. Although even my normal CD's sound slightly better with a decent system.

I would love to buy alot more SACDs, but there just aren't enough available. Although there seem to be more SACDs than DVD-As available, and classical music new releases are coming out all the time on SACD. When I look on DVD-A sites most of the discs say "not in stock."

===============================================================

You said:

"When they master from the original tapes they still need to start at least at DVD-Audio 24 bit / 96 kHz level sample rates or at SACD bit rate 24 bit / 192 kHz even if they were only doing regular CD’s to get better sound."

................................................................................

Do you know if the remastered CDs that they have already made have master copies at the SACD bit rate of 24 bit / 192 kHz, which could just be copied onto SACDs or would they have to start from scratch again?

It seems SACD releases are popular with the older artists e.g Bowie, Dylan, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Stones. I would have thought it could be a nice little earner for Zep, but I can't work out if the format is being allowed to die.

FAO Old Quad Guy

Thanks for the reply, I omitted to say that I currently own a Poineer PD-D6-J SACD player, A-A9-J amp and S-H-10V(-W)speakers. I have recently bought about 15 SACDs and am really enjoying the improved sound quality. Although even my normal CD's sound slightly better with a decent system.

I would love to buy alot more SACDs, but there just aren't enough available. Although there seem to be more SACDs than DVD-As available, and classical music new releases are coming out all the time on SACD. When I look on DVD-A sites most of the discs say "not in stock."

===============================================================

You said:

"When they master from the original tapes they still need to start at least at DVD-Audio 24 bit / 96 kHz level sample rates or at SACD bit rate 24 bit / 192 kHz even if they were only doing regular CD’s to get better sound."

................................................................................

Do you know if the remastered CDs that they have already made have master copies at the SACD bit rate of 24 bit / 192 kHz, which could just be copied onto SACDs or would they have to start from scratch again?

It seems SACD releases are popular with the older artists e.g Bowie, Dylan, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Stones. I would have thought it could be a nice little earner for Zep, but I can't work out if the format is being allowed to die.

I know, it's a drag these formats didn't take off right away, but they do gain value with time. These formats only die if people stop buying discs and record companies stop producing them. There’s no reason for the record companies not to do more runs of rare titles (check eBay prices, they’re very popular). Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery DVD-Audio disc typically goes for over $60+ if you can find one. The record companies have already made the discs and artwork, just make more copies! And there are plenty of players out there to be had cheap, no problem. If you go to http://www.sa-cd.net it contains a data base of all SACD titles released. Led Zeppelin has released one DVD-Audio disc (“How The West Was Won”) and it contains a nice multi-channel mix and the stereo mix in high resolution sound.

I don’t know what bit rate / kHz the remasters we’re done at, but one would hope that all their recordings have been archived at high bit / kHz rates. Then it should be simple matter of putting together a box set with the original stereo mixes and a multi-channel mix as what was done on “How The West Was Won.” All tapes in the Led Zeppelin vaults should be archived immediately at high bit / kHz rates..

As far as the future of DVD-Audio / SACD… One way to look at high resolution audio is even if a particular Disc format is replaced by another (perhaps HD) or is a file on your hard drive, bit rates have nowhere to go but up as storage space becomes larger, cheaper on smaller hard drives. The record companies still have the best disc formats with DVD-Audio / SACD that have ever been made for music. They cannot be copied (the DVD-A / SACD layers cannot). And if mastered properly (as mentioned previously) in the case with DVD-Audio, the DVD-Video layer will play on any DVD player and the CD layer of a SACD disc will play on any CD player. And when one is ready for the great high resolution sound, it’s already there, you have it.

If you want more info about DVD-A / SACD, records, tapes and HD formats check out the quadraphonicquad board. Thanks.

Again the bitching about the cut in No Quarter? Yawn. We've never had a proper release of the full solo. In the movie, we miss the beginning. On the soundtrack, we lose the wah part at the end. It's been up to the traders to share the whole, uninterrupted solo. Those who've had the soundtrack and/or the movie have never had the whole piece. Look, due to rights of ownership, Page and Shirley couldn't add time to the film to insert the missing parts, and Page made it clear that the new soundtrack would match the film. You can complain till you're blue in the face about a definitive MSG performance, but this was TSRTS, and unlike the original soundtrack to the film, this is in fact just that: the soundtack to the film. The No Quarter solo could not fit the timing of the film, thus you get what you get. Quit bitching, because the film must remain the same. That's out of Page's hands. Enjoy the fantastic sound quality!

However anyone who wants to protest the horrible flanger on Moby Dick has my full support! WTF????

Thing is, Ev, if you listen to a lot of those 73 soundboards, that flanger effect was used extensively on Bonzo's cymbals (the one that stands out most is the Detroit snippet). I don't think it's an added effect -- only brought out more in the remixing from the original. Still, it does kind of suck. Royally!

Hey bro! Nice to see you! And yes, I agree to an extent. However, I must point out that the effect used on the cymbals and tympani in 73 (and subsequent years) was a phaser, not a flanger. I know you're savvy enough to know the difference. This jet sound that, IMO, poisons Moby Dick on the new release is not the same effect. There was quad speaker sound which was enhanced by phase shifting during the concerts, but it was subtle. This crazy, over the top, sound killing vacuum cleaner on steroids was added on by Page and Shirley. I ask again, why? Who the hell watched the pre-release and said "bravo"?

Again the bitching about the cut in No Quarter? Yawn. We've never had a proper release of the full solo. In the movie, we miss the beginning. On the soundtrack, we lose the wah part at the end. It's been up to the traders to share the whole, uninterrupted solo. Those who've had the soundtrack and/or the movie have never had the whole piece. Look, due to rights of ownership, Page and Shirley couldn't add time to the film to insert the missing parts, and Page made it clear that the new soundtrack would match the film. You can complain till you're blue in the face about a definitive MSG performance, but this was TSRTS, and unlike the original soundtrack to the film, this is in fact just that: the soundtack to the film. The No Quarter solo could not fit the timing of the film, thus you get what you get. Quit bitching, because the film must remain the same. That's out of Page's hands. Enjoy the fantastic sound quality!

OK, Mr. Chief Appeaser, But that's not what the initial announcement claimed.

To me the new DVD looks and sounds great - unfortunately I can't try the 5.1 sound, have to wait for a while. The soundtrack alone is disappointing compared to the original in my opinion. But it seems that Page/Plant/Jones decided not to spend time re-working a soundtrack album - just transfer the re-worked film soundtrack on to cd easy!! At least the whole of Heartbreaker is there, something not found on the film!!

• 8 months later...

I finally got around today of putting together onto one CD my Best Of from TSRTS Re-Mastered set:

T S R T S

1. THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

2. OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY

3. MISTY MOUNTAIN HOP

4. SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU

5. HEARTBREAKER

6. NO QUARTER

7. THE OCEAN

8. DAZED AND CONFUSED

Ok, I know this thread is a year old, but I need to add my two cents. I didn't get a booklet with my CD "deluxe" release of TSRTS. No notes from Cameron Crowe. MIA. Anyone else have this prob?

My complaints have all been ignored. Pfft!

Archived