What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

They're an offshoot of the Grateful Dead. Garcia and Mickey Hart were even official band members at one point but found they just didn't have the time outside of the Grateful Dead to devote to being in the New Riders so they only appear on the debut N.R.P.S. record. The band is still touring today albeit without original frontman John Dawnson (aka "Maraduke") who is apparently quite ill and unable to tour anymore. If you like the early "country rock" of the 70s such as the Flying Burrito Brothers, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, etc., they should be right up your alley.

Didn't New Riders tour with the Dead at some point in the late 70s?

Regarding New Riders Of The Purple Sage, I can highly recomend N.R.P.S., Gypsy Cowboy and Powerglide. Those is the albums I have, their three first LP's. I believe their fourth album, The Adventures of Panama Red should be a great find too. Like Jahfin said, if you're a fan of The Flying Burrito Brothers and the likes, you probably find these guys great too.

On topic again: I have purchased some cheap CD's:

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (2000)

Finally got this album..

f74932eys12.jpg

November - 6e November (1972)

Great Swedish hard rock, similar to Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath and those early heavy groups. This was Novembers third and last album. The original LP is quite rare, but this CD which was released in 2005 is a great substitute with all the bonus material and the booklet.

m15712qbkv7.jpg

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan (2005)

Finally got this one too. I think it's the best album they've recorded.

g84517d74cm.jpg

I'm having it shipped to Sweden from the eBay seller in the states so I won't get my hands on it until next weekend when I go home to Sweden for a couple of days. I've heard some of the tracks though, which I really like. It will be great to listen to them all when I get home. I hate being part of my record collection, I don't understand how you can cope with being without yours, Jahfin!! :blink::D

It's been 10 years now so believe me it's not been easy. Sad thing is, I don't seem to be getting any closer to being reunited with my record collection. I simply just don't have enough room where I am now.

Regarding New Riders Of The Purple Sage, I can highly recomend N.R.P.S., Gypsy Cowboy and Powerglide. Those is the albums I have, their three first LP's. I believe their fourth album, The Adventures of Panama Red should be a great find too. Like Jahfin said, if you're a fan of The Flying Burrito Brothers and the likes, you probably find these guys great too.

On topic again: I have purchased some cheap CD's:

[

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan (2005)

Finally got this one too. I think it's the best album they've recorded.

g84517d74cm.jpg

That's my favorite too. Has a very Zeppelin feel to it, imo. Would love to track it down on vinyl. There were just a few promo copies pressed, but Jack White just opened a record store at his ThirdMan complex, in Nashville and in a photo I seen it had some copies on the wall.

Didn't New Riders tour with the Dead at some point in the late 70s?

I'm not sure how extensive it was but I know they at least did some dates together (the Blues Brothers were also on the bill, see poster below). They also played some shows together in the early days of N.R.P.S. If I'm not mistaken, it was with the New Riders that Garcia first started learning how to play the pedal steel. I believe some footage of him playing steel with the New Riders can be seen in the Last Days of the Fillmore documentary. Dick's Pick Vol. 8 is also from one of the early N.R.P.S./Dead gigs yet the New Riders don't appear on the disc itself (I do think their performance is available elsewhere though). I think it was also around this same time that Garcia and Page met up (if my memory serves, I believe Page coached him on steel or vice versa) and Garcia played steel on CSN's Teach Your Children.

aor4.38.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

I'm not sure how extensive it was but I know they at least did some dates together (the Blues Brothers were also on the bill, see poster below). They also played some shows together in the early days of N.R.P.S. If I'm not mistaken, it was with the New Riders that Garcia first started learning how to play the pedal steel. I believe some footage of him playing steel with the New Riders can be seen in the Last Days of the Fillmore documentary. Dick's Pick Vol. 8 is also from one of the early N.R.P.S./Dead gigs yet the New Riders don't appear on the disc itself (I do think their performance is available elsewhere though). I think it was also around this same time that Garcia and Page met up (if my memory serves, I believe Page coached him on steel or vice versa) and Garcia played steel on CSN's Teach Your Children.

aor4.38.jpg

I'm pretty sure my brother saw NRPS with the Dead but I'll have to check next time I speak with him. I had no idea about Garcia playing pedal steel on CSN's "Teach Your Children".

I'm pretty sure my brother saw NRPS with the Dead but I'll have to check next time I speak with him.

They haven't updated the years 1978-1981 but there's a list of shows N.R.P.S. played from 1968-1977 on their website (included the concerts they did with the Grateful Dead).

I have heard the Firewood album and it sounds great, but I don't have it myself (yet). Many say it's their strongest album. Can't recall if I have listened to Graveyard, but I know them by name. I will have to check them out again.

BTW, how's this for a promo picture, shot for the Firewood album?? :D I haven't seen it since the release of Firewood and had to do a great search to find it on the net. Pretty sick and cool LOL.

968.jpg

Good no sophmore slump! I'm really enjoyng Graveyard, great album. Ah, three great bands arisen from Norrsken.

Off with his head! Very cool promo pic indeed.

They're an offshoot of the Grateful Dead. Garcia and Mickey Hart were even official band members at one point but found they just didn't have the time outside of the Grateful Dead to devote to being in the New Riders so they only appear on the debut N.R.P.S. record. The band is still touring today albeit without original frontman John Dawnson (aka "Maraduke") who is apparently quite ill and unable to tour anymore. If you like the early "country rock" of the 70s such as the Flying Burrito Brothers, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, etc., they should be right up your alley.

Hey, well that makes sense! That was kinda my first thought when I listened to them..."they sound a lot like the Grateful Dead!" And now that I listen to them, I know I've heard Panama Red somewhere before. Not bad...you know I tend to like the harder-driving Skynyrd side of things, but for that kind of laid-back sound, they do it pretty well. Thanks, Swede! :D

...Did I say I got Steve Earle in my last post? Can't remember, too lazy to look.

Hey, well that makes sense! That was kinda my first thought when I listened to them..."they sound a lot like the Grateful Dead!" And now that I listen to them, I know I've heard Panama Red somewhere before. Not bad...you know I tend to like the harder-driving Skynyrd side of things, but for that kind of laid-back sound, they do it pretty well. Thanks, Swede! :D

Like Big & Rich? If you do like your country with more of a rock edge I suggest checking out the Bottle Rockets (Robert Kearns from that band as well as Cry of Love will be filling in for Skynyrd's ailing bassist Ean Evans on their upcoming tour) as well as the Drive-By Truckers.

...Did I say I got Steve Earle in my last post? Can't remember, too lazy to look.

I believe you said you picked up Steve Earle's Copperhead Road. Was it by any chance the newly released deluxe edition (see below)? If so, it includes a show recorded at the Pier in Raleigh many moons ago. By the way, he also has a new album coming out of Townes Van Zandt covers entitled Townes appropriately enough. He is going to be playing a very intimate show in nearby Carrboro for that tour in June. Amazingly enough there are still tix available.

207684943.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

Like Big & Rich? If you do like your country with more of a rock edge I suggest checking out the Bottle Rockets (Robert Kearns from that band as well as Cry of Love will be filling in for Skynyrd's ailing bassist Ean Evans on their upcoming tour) as well as the Drive-By Truckers.

I do like Big & Rich...it's a guilty pleasure, but I won't deny that I get a kick out of their songs. Bottle Rockets, eh? I'll give them a listen, for sure! Thanks! Yeah, I need to get on the ball with the Truckers...I like what I've heard from them a lot, but I always forget about them when I go to the music store (I swear the second I walk in the door, I forget about everything I'd thought about getting). Which album would you recommend starting with? Southern Rock Opera?

I believe you said you picked up Steve Earle's Copperhead Road. Was it by any chance the newly released deluxe edition (see below)? If so, it includes a show recorded at the Pier in Raleigh many moons ago. By the way, he also has a new album coming out of Townes Van Zandt covers entitled Townes appropriately enough. He is going to be playing a very intimate show in nearby Carrboro for that tour in June. Amazingly enough there are still tix available.

207684943.jpg

Darn it, nope, I just got the regular version. Maybe that's why it was so cheap. :slapface: Wow, that album sounds really cool...I'll definitely have to give that a listen when it comes out. Townes Van Zandt writes some awesome songs - Pancho and Lefty was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid (and it still is!), and I'd love to hear Steve Earle's take on them. Have fun at the show - sounds like a good time!

I do like Big & Rich...it's a guilty pleasure, but I won't deny that I get a kick out of their songs. Bottle Rockets, eh? I'll give them a listen, for sure! Thanks! Yeah, I need to get on the ball with the Truckers...I like what I've heard from them a lot, but I always forget about them when I go to the music store (I swear the second I walk in the door, I forget about everything I'd thought about getting). Which album would you recommend starting with? Southern Rock Opera?

That's not a bad place to start but like their other early recordings (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance) it's a little rough around the edges production-wise. Still, it's damn good stuff. For those that are new to the Truckers I usually recommend Decoration Day. It was recorded after Jason Isbell (who has since gone his own way) joined the band and is somewhat more accessible.

The Bottle Rockets are kickass as well. So many folks only seem to know 'em from Radar Gun but there's so much more to 'em than that.

Darn it, nope, I just got the regular version. Maybe that's why it was so cheap. :slapface: Wow, that album sounds really cool...I'll definitely have to give that a listen when it comes out. Townes Van Zandt writes some awesome songs - Pancho and Lefty was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid (and it still is!), and I'd love to hear Steve Earle's take on them. Have fun at the show - sounds like a good time!

I still haven't purchased a ticket yet, I just hope it's still not sold out. The last time I saw him (along with his wife Allison Moorer) it was also all acoustic, which I'm guessing this upcoming show will be given the nature of the Townes record as well as the size of the venue. I still don't own Copperhead Road on CD so hopefully when I take the plunge it'll be the deluxe edition. Sadly a lot of folks seem to think he dropped off the face of the earth after Copperhead Road but he didn't. Some of the records he's recorded since then are some of the very best of his career, at least to my ears. Especially El Corazon and Train A' Comin' (the first album he recorded after getting out of prison).

That's not a bad place to start but like their other early recordings (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance) it's a little rough around the edges production-wise. Still, it's damn good stuff. For those that are new to the Truckers I usually recommend Decoration Day. It was recorded after Jason Isbell (who has since gone his own way) joined the band and is somewhat more accessible.

The Bottle Rockets are kickass as well. So many folks only seem to know 'em from Radar Gun but there's so much more to 'em than that.

Regarding Drive-By Truckers, my favourites are Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which has a great number of songs on them. I would also recomend their latest album Brighter Than Creation's Dark, which is an amazing set of songs as well. I have only heard clips of the earlier stuff, but what little I've heard it sounds great, and I will eventually get those albums myself too.

Another album that should be interesting for anyone into steel guitars and rock'n'roll, is New Seasons by The Sadies. They mix their country with everything between psychedelia to rock-a-billy. I assure you it's a great album!

I finally got my hands on an original pressing of Gilded Palace Of Sin with The Flying Burrito Brothers. I love this record!

The_Gilded_Palace_of_Sin.jpg

Another record, which I already got the original LP, but have been thinking of getting on CD due to the bonus tracks is Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by The Byrds. Finally I have purchased it too. The bonus tracks are a treat, with Gram Parsons on vocals, as it originally intended to be.

c9036601x7d.jpg

Another album that should be interesting for anyone into steel guitars and rock'n'roll, is New Seasons by The Sadies. They mix their country with everything between psychedelia to rock-a-billy. I assure you it's a great album!

I haven't heard it yet myself but I understand the new album they've just released with John Doe from X is pretty good. You can sample some tunes on the John Doe & the Sadies MySpace site.

B001TN1EFW.jpg

I haven't heard it yet myself but I understand the new album they've just released with John Doe from X is pretty good. You can sample some tunes on the John Doe & the Sadies MySpace site.

B001TN1EFW.jpg

Excellent - love John Doe. Saw him in concert back several years and he was fantastic. Great songwriter.

Excellent - love John Doe. Saw him in concert back several years and he was fantastic. Great songwriter.

X are playing here soon and from all reports their reunion shows haven't been coming with the usual trappings and shortcomings so I hope to see 'em.

X are playing here soon and from all reports their reunion shows haven't been coming with the usual trappings and shortcomings so I hope to see 'em.

I never saw X - I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on them if you make it to a show.