Broken winged bird

wanna be drummer

So I'm playing catch with my dog when I notice an adult bird on the ground, not even trying to fly away when my dog ran right by it. I thought, "Well thats odd...wait a minute...oh God, please don't tell me it has a broken wing"

Sure enough, I went up to it, and it did. So, me and my mom put in it a box with a bunch of bird seed and some "cushions" (paper towels)

My mom wants to let nature take its course (I think we all know what that means). I'm not sure what else we can do.

What other options are there? We don't really have the money to spend on this bird at a vet or something...so thats out of the question (unless they'd take it off my hands no-charge). Could I call Animal Control? How much would that be, and wuold they even do anything about it?

I don't have a ton of time. I have a huge amount of homework, so i'll be on for another 20 minutes or so. Thanks to all help

Well thanks guys, but I think it's dead. I poked it a few times to see if it was still alive, but it didn't stir whatsoever. So unless birds are very, very deep sleepers...

I think it may have been from the shock or something. Maybe it was bleeding internally from the broken wing? Who knows.

My dad'll call animal control in the morning. I hope its still kickin, but I doubt it.

Did what I could...

Sometimes they'll fly into a window and stun themselves. I've picked up birds who did this and moved them to a grassy spot w/trees. Sometimes they'll fly right out of your hand, other times they'll just lay there and die. Or they'll lay there until they can move again and then take off.

The humane society's probably your best resource, like eternal posted, or sometimes the raptor center can help, too. I called them about a hawk, once.

This has happened about three times for me. Once we helped the bird for a week or more and then I put it in a bush so it would rest for a bit more before taking off and I shouldn't have done that, because it was right next to a road and it wandered onto the road and got run over by some of the fucking asshole punks who live down the street next to my house.

^ That is a good ending. I'm sorry wannabe, those things are tough... it can be real hard to figure out what to do. I've had similar stuff here. When we've gotten bad storms with high winds like last Friday, Hurricane Katrina, etc., it seems at least one nest gets blown down witha baby or two in or near it. It's real hard, because the parents will probably not return to the nest, and will almost certainly won't if we handle the babies or nest. Sometimes I think the various barn cats find them and take care of things... which is probably the kindest way out for them.

I used to fish off rocks and the ocean's edge and once while casting a seagull swooped down and grabbed my lure out of the thin air. It put up a fight as good as a stripped bass. I reeled it in eventually after struggling with it all over the sky. It was kind of fun. But when I got it closer I could see the the gull had swallowed the lure so I cut the line. It flew away but I know it had to have died not too long after that.

Deep Seagull fishing. Nothing like it.

Look around for a wildlife rescue organization. Lots of places have them. Here's a link to one a site in Michigan:

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildli...bilitators.html

I volunteer with a local Wildlife rescue, and our recommendations when you find wildlife are as follows:

WILDLIFE EMERGENCY

... contact IWRC (International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council) at 707-864-1761 or IWRC

for referral to a rehabilitator in your area or go to our links page for other options.

1. DOES THE ANIMAL OR BIRD NEED YOUR HELP?

In general, if you approach a wild animal and it doesn't fly or run away, it needs help.

It may be injured, sick or emaciated or too young to fly or walk.

Help Is Needed:

if the animal has an obvious injury, is very young (naked, pinfeathers) or in an unsafe place such as the roadside, in a parking lot, trapped in a building, etc.

Help May Not Be Needed:

Fawns and young jackrabbits are left alone by their parents and may be fine. It is natural to see fledgling birds on the ground with limited flight. Call for advice before rescuing.

2. YES, HELP IS NEEDED

Your goal is to get the bird or animal into a container and keep it safe and warm while you call Eastern Sierra Wildlife Care for assistance. (If this is a large mammal such as a deer, bear or coyote, call the Department of Fish and Game at 760-872-1171 first. If you can't reach them, call ESWC before taking further action.)

Secure Animal; Handle Gently

Be safe. Watch out for beaks and talons! Always wear gloves when handling any mammals. Get advice before handling adult mammals. [if you feel unable to handle the bird or animal, place a box or trash can over the animal; monitor it while you call ESWC.]

Drop a T-shirt, towel or jacket over the animal; bundle it gently. Place in a padded box or other container just a little larger than the animal. This helps the animal save energy, retain body heat, and prevents further injury. [For babies, make a snug nest from tissue and a small plastic bowl.] Cover or close container and make a few air holes.

Keep the Animal Warm, Dark and Quiet

The animal is in shock, so warmth is vital. Put container half on heating pad (on low) if you have one, or provide a small bottle of hot water (leak proof!) wrapped in a towel. Put in a warm, quiet place away from people, pets, and noise.

Give no food or water until you get advice!

Keep the bird/animal WARM, DARK and QUIET. For example, put it on a soft towel in a box of suitable size (no point putting a songbird in a giant card board box where it can flap around and injure itself) on top of or under a heating pad, in a quiet, darkened room.

Do not feed it or give it water. <---- IMPORTANT.

LEGAL QUESTIONS:

All wild animals are protected under state and/or federal law. It is unlawful for any person who does not have the proper training and permits to possess or attempt to rehabilitate wildlife, but the law saws that a member of the public may briefly possess an animal while attempting to get help from a licensed rehabilitator or a veterinarian. If there is a delay of more than 24 hours, you must notify the local Fish and Game office. [see above]

2007©

Many vets will help wildlife, so call your local vet too.

Sometimes they'll fly into a window and stun themselves. I've picked up birds who did this and moved them to a grassy spot w/trees. Sometimes they'll fly right out of your hand, other times they'll just lay there and die. Or they'll lay there until they can move again and then take off.

I've had a bird smacking into my windows over and over again for two weeks now. I tried catching it with a fishing net... but no dice. I would shoot the damn thing if I could get a clear shot. But with my luck I'll just hit the window.

I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those plastic Owls or something.

I put different things in front of my windows to prevent them hitting it. If they seee something in the window they won't fly into it.

If you see an injured bird, etc. Take it to an animal shelter. If the animal can be helped they will help it and set it free again. Does not cost you anything. if they can't help it then they will end it's suffering. Don't leave it to die outdoors by itself.

I've had a bird smacking into my windows over and over again for two weeks now. I tried catching it with a fishing net... but no dice. I would shoot the damn thing if I could get a clear shot. But with my luck I'll just hit the window.

I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those plastic Owls or something.

Here are some other options for you instead of killing innocent birds... :rolleyes:

Window decals:

http://store.birdwatching.net/store/Catego...den:Solutions

Here's a link for making your own; it has some good ideas too (below):

http://www.dteenergy.com/environment/pdfs/raptor.pdf

3. Draw drapes and close blinds when possible. This will help if you have plants inside the house close to the window or when a window at the front and back of your home face each other giving the impression of a clear passage. This will not control the exterior reflective characteristics of window.

4. Since hawk silhouettes work much better when they move, make your silhouettes from sheet aluminum or wood and hang them by chain or rope from an overhang.

5. Attach spider web decals (sold under the name Warning Web) to the exterior surface of your windows.

Most birds naturally avoid webs and the web decals break up the reflective and transparent surface of the glass.

Warning Web:

http://www.duncraft.com/Stop-Bird-Window-C...-P2213C227.aspx

HTH.

Archived