Best Party Bands

alwizard03

I love the Meters ("Funky" and otherwise), the Neville Brothers and the Wild Tchoupitoulas but have only seen the Neville Brothers in concert (Woodstock '94). I have some older brothers that did have the good fortune to see the Wild Tchoupitoulas in concert in Texas many years ago though. Speaking of which, I highly recommend any and all of these records if ever you happen to run across any of them:

cd58970.jpg

Wild Tchoupitoulas

41BNHS72VRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Meters Fire On the Bayou

51TXNHRKH3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Neville Brothers Treacherous: A History Of The Neville Brothers

51Q7569TSDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Neville Brothers Fiyo On the Bayou

I saw them on the Powerage tour in 1978 at the Cumberland County Arena in Fayetteville, NC. Cheap Trick opened followed by Nantucket who were just back from a successful run out west in support of their debut album on Epic Records. I knew who AC/DC were but thought I was seeing some sort of punk rock band at first. Fans down front were spitting on them, which I understood was done as a sign of appreciation for punk bands overseas. I also thought it was a bit unusual that Cheap Trick were opening for Nantucket when Nantucket seemed relatively unknown at the time. In the years since I've found out Nantucket were given priority since they were Epic's pet project at the time.

In regards to dates I found this site but I'm not sure how accurate it is since it says Cheap Trick were "co-headliners" and Nantucket were "supporting" at the show I saw which wasn't the case at all. Not so long ago I found another site with vintage AC/DC dates but can't seem to locate it now.

Thanks for your response. We have done a bit of sleuthing online but haven't been able to find anything about the AC/DC show we attended. We don't remember it as being part of any tour although we had a similar experience as far as people expecting a punk rock band.

I found this youtube clip with is very similar to the show we attended. However, my husband says that the venue in the clip was larger than the one where we saw them (which he still insists was the Mudd Club). It was raw and edgy and certainly got our attention:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lPwxD94IBkE

My husband has most of his ticket stubs, concert handbills, etc. saved in the attic of his parents' home - on the other side of the country. No doubt we'll someday find the time to prowl though those boxes.

I love the Meters ("Funky" and otherwise), the Neville Brothers and the Wild Tchoupitoulas but have only seen the Neville Brothers in concert (Woodstock '94). I have some older brothers that did have the good fortune to see the Wild Tchoupitoulas in concert in Texas many years ago though. Speaking of which, I highly recommend any and all of these records if ever you happen to run across any of them:

Agree! I've seen both the Wild Tchoupitoulas and Neville Brothers live. Fantastic shows and the albums above you recommended I have. I'm a big fan of much of the music from New Orleans and have been lucky to have seen many of the big names over the years.

Thanks for your response. We have done a bit of sleuthing online but haven't been able to find anything about the AC/DC show we attended. We don't remember it as being part of any tour although we had a similar experience as far as people expecting a punk rock band.

I found this youtube clip with is very similar to the show we attended. However, my husband says that the venue in the clip was larger than the one where we saw them (which he still insists was the Mudd Club). It was raw and edgy and certainly got our attention:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lPwxD94IBkE

My husband has most of his ticket stubs, concert handbills, etc. saved in the attic of his parents' home - on the other side of the country. No doubt we'll someday find the time to prowl though those boxes.

Try this link for 78 tour dates. I saw one show on this tour Los Angeles Starwood and Kevin Borich opened the site appears confused that can end now.I was one of the audience members and a friend of Kevin and John's of the Express that is right back stage with AC/DC IN 78 was not a fan until a couple of years later but I did enjoy the show.

http://www.ac-dc.net/tour1/index.html

Another new one for Me but they look pretty entertaining on Utube

They're VERY entertaining. They have three cd's out: Live AT The Wetlands, Unclassified, and Colorblind. Very excellent band, with great players. Though they're funkier, you can tell on their records that they've really paid attention to how John Bonham got his drum sound. Sometimes it has that huge sound that Bonzo was known for.

Fuck, I wish I could say I had seen The Meters!! Love the New Orleans soul and funk scene. Allen Toussaint (sp?) rules!

I have no idea why The Ramones haven't been mentioned yet, they should be one of the greatest party bands of all time. Can it be no one of us have seen them maybe? :D

Anyway, of the bands I have seen, these are the best party bands:

Beastie Boys

I have seen them twice, and both times they put on a great show. They are crazy on stage, and they've got many great party songs.

Hellacopters

Got to see them back in the mid 90's in their prime, but they still put on a great show nowdays as well. They are The MC5 incarnated. I wich every fan of rock'n'roll music should have had the chance to see them, unfortunatly they are doin' their farewell tour this summer/fall.

Aerosmith

I know they haven't released anything worth mention the last 20 years, but when I saw them in 1999 they put on a great live show. Their 70's catalog is great!

Thunder Express

These guys deserves a break through. Put on a great rock'n'roll show.

Black Crowes

Great rock'n'roll show.

The Strollers

Great neo garage band with outragous fuzz guitars and farfisa organ. Unfortunatly no longer around.

The Maharajas

Great rock'n'roll band with the former singer from The Strollers. Amazing live band.

In the spirit of Jimmy Buffett, The Beach Boys were always a good party show back in the day. I saw them in the late 70's at an afternoon matinee show, and it was one of the best concert parties I've ever been to. At one point, Dennis Wilson was so drunk he couldn't even sit on his drum stool.

Hey, you asked about the Ramones - that's my impression of them. Every song starts out with 1 2 3 4, then they bang the same note over and over on every song, and Joey crawled around the stage in a daze for a while. I certainly didn't get anything out of it musically, although it had it's comedic moments. For someone who likes Jack Casady, I don't see how you would appreciate what the bass player of the Ramones was up to - total opposites in musicianship.

Yes they're great party band!

Also these guys,

Dread Zeppelin

bandall_color.jpg

Click on this link and you can see Robert Plant laud these fellows.

http://www.dreadzeppelin.com/music.html

They say Robert really liked them I have two of thier cds 5000000 and unledded different but have not seen them live. Bet they would be a trip with Blue Man Group opening up

In the spirit of Jimmy Buffett, The Beach Boys were always a good party show back in the day. I saw them in the late 70's at an afternoon matinee show, and it was one of the best concert parties I've ever been to. At one point, Dennis Wilson was so drunk he couldn't even sit on his drum stool.

Never saw the Beach Boys except on dvd/video but definitly look like people were having a good time.

Must be something about the Beach and Music and Girls in Bathing suits.

Hey, you asked about the Ramones - that's my impression of them. Every song starts out with 1 2 3 4, then they bang the same note over and over on every song, and Joey crawled around the stage in a daze for a while. I certainly didn't get anything out of it musically, although it had it's comedic moments. For someone who likes Jack Casady, I don't see how you would appreciate what the bass player of the Ramones was up to - total opposites in musicianship.

Oh well, I think you read too much in my response. I don't mind if you didn't like what you saw. To me it sounds like a great punk rock consert.. :D

Yes, J Giles was one of the best party bands saw them in 77 I think, supported by coal kitchen.

Foghat is another, a great under rated band you never hear much about.

And how about Black Oak Arkansas ?

TRIUMPHFOGHATBILOXI83.jpg

FOGHAT76NOLA.jpg

Foghat were really a great Band to see a lot of energy and loud .Black Oak were also quite a bit of fun.

J giels is still my favorite for the Party band

For someone who likes Jack Casady, I don't see how you would appreciate what the bass player of the Ramones was up to - total opposites in musicianship.

Liking Jack Casady doesn't stop me liking punk or any other genre.. I like a lot of different music genres that hasn't got anything in common with each other, other than the fact it's all music.

I'm not very open minded towards alot of music, I'll admit - but just feel the Ramones are poor musicians regardless of what style they play. The B-52s, who came on after them, are an odd style of music in their own way - but I thought they were excellent, and would be my suggestion for a good party band. To each their own, for sure!

B52s were a great band for sure.

The Ramones were poor musicians alright, but in my mind that shouldn't stop anyone from playing. They were creative and had a great sense of humour, listen to Blitzkrieg Bop and The KKK Took My Baby Away.. It's genious! Motown goes punk. LOL They wrote catchy tunes and played them as fast as they could.

Archived