oldsters, your zep influence on youngsters

boogie

my family spends a lot of time together, and for 10 r 12 years, we would spend a summer weekend camping in a cousin's back yard for a week end. i had a 15 year old cousin who was learning to play guitar. and i sort of forced him to watch tsrts and the '03 cd in the wee hours of the night. i gave him a history of the band, and told him what to look for with each band member. he was very polite, and appeared to study the band. a year later, he told me zep was his fav. band, and he had bought both cd's. he's a smart kid and has a good job. a couple of weeks ago he got married, and his wedding march was an instramental "stairway to heaven". it just blew me away. i told my wife,"hear that? that's for me." she laughed, " like you have influence." well later on he came up to me and asked if i liked the wedding march. and told me, it was because of me, that they choose that song. it's one of my most proud moments.

My dad is a big Zep fan so I've just grown up around it and it got in my blood. He always listened to them and I loved the sound. I've been a fan for my entire life. (That is about of literal as it gets for those of you who doubt me.)

My dad is a big Zep fan so I've just grown up around it and it got in my blood. He always listened to them and I loved the sound. I've been a fan for my entire life. (That is about of literal as it gets for those of you who doubt me.)

I believe you. I'd have to give the credit to my ex-husband for influencing my 17-year-old daughter. He would play their music ever since she could hear. Now, she sings their songs, and plays their music. She's learning to play guitar. One guess as to who she's copying. And she's pretty good at it, too.

At least someone does. I won't mention names but I've been accused of not being old enough to be a "real" fan.

I never doubted you are a real fan :)

I know both my husband and I played an important role on our kids's musical taste. They have been listening to LZ, among other bands, as well as lots of Brazilian music, since the womb. And they love Led Zeppelin (well, my son more than my daughter) and they were really happy for me as I made it to London for the O2 concert. Jimmy is my son's guitar hero, And though they have already listened to their music thousand of times, they still do it quite often.

With my 4 year old son it was so gradual I dont know when he acually became a fan. He is always running and playing but when Moby Dick is on the TV he will stop to watch. I got him a little drum kit and now he plays along with Bonzo.

Wow; I'm envious, my kids won't listen to Zeppelin. I've tried a little of everything too (heavier stuff, acoustic, live, studio...). My youngest will listen to the Immigrant Song, but that's it; the other 2 won't listen at all :(

I know when I was younger I didn't appreciate alot of what parents generation listened to. But as I grew older and sought out the roots of my contemporary generation's music, I came to appreciate and embrace much of the old. The same thing will probably happen to the youngsters of today, at least the ones with any interest in music at all.

Some just never do get into music as a lifeblood, and for them, they may never appreciate Led Zeppelin or any music more than just wallpaper.

I know when I was younger I didn't appreciate alot of what parents generation listened to. But as I grew older and sought out the roots of my contemporary generation's music, I came to appreciate and embrace much of the old. The same thing will probably happen to the youngsters of today, at least the ones with any interest in music at all.

Some just never do get into music as a lifeblood, and for them, they may never appreciate Led Zeppelin or any music more than just wallpaper.

I'm hoping that will happen; maybe it's just not cool to like the same music Mom likes. My son does like other rock bands (ACDC, Guns & Roses) so maybe there's hope. I've given him the speech about who these bands' forefathers were :)

I'm hoping that will happen; maybe it's just not cool to like the same music Mom likes. My son does like other rock bands (ACDC, Guns & Roses) so maybe there's hope. I've given him the speech about who these bands' forefathers were :)

My parents 'age' was Glenn Miller type swing. That was their favorite, and later stuff like Mitch Miller and Pat Boone. :rolleyes: I have an appreciation for BIG BAND, but still don't care for "singing along with Mitch", or the ivy league/saccharine Pat Boone. But other music from that period has come into my life. The 40s Blues, Jazz and the 50s early RocknRoll and Jazz really piqued my interest. If your kids DO like music and focus on it as a real part of their life, they'll pick up on older stuff and dig it someday, maybe.

I'm 17, I wouldn't say my parents have influenced what I listen to really. One day I heard Zeppelin on the radio and thought "This is cool". =\ I guess, other people don't really influence what I listen to a whole lot, I usually just search and search for what sounds good. On occasion I will listen to something if recommended by a source I trust. I've listened to bands people recommended here, and some bands friends have recommended, as well another source I use is the recommendations of musicians in bands I already like.

For example, the dude who writes this online comic strip has impeccable taste in music, and I will listen to anything he recommends.

http://questionablecontent.net/

He's even got his own music blog

http://questionablecontent.net/rlblog/

I HIGHLY recommend you read it, the man knows a lot about music.

Another source I use is the official Flaming Lips forums, their touring drummer Kliph Scurlock makes a lot of interesting recommendations.

Just some sources I use for discovering new music....

My parents 'age' was Glenn Miller type swing. That was their favorite, and later stuff like Mitch Miller and Pat Boone. :rolleyes: I have an appreciation for BIG BAND, but still don't care for "singing along with Mitch", or the ivy league/saccharine Pat Boone. But other music from that period has come into my life. The 40s Blues, Jazz and the 50s early RocknRoll and Jazz really piqued my interest. If your kids DO like music and focus on it as a real part of their life, they'll pick up on older stuff and dig it someday, maybe.

My parents listened to the Kingston Trio, Nat King Cole, and lots of musical soundtracks (Man of La Mancha, the Sound of Music, etc.). Actually the music influence thing happened in reverse for us; my Mom (in her 70s) now has some Springsteen, DMB, Rod Stewart and other cds and likes a few Zeppelin songs too :)

I was given -led zep4 as a gift as a kid, but then bought all the records on my own. As said already, you either get it or you dont. some folks dont get the vibe, life, spirituality of music. I really got a serious kick out of seeing my 1 and a half yr old nephew bouncing his head to -nobodys fault but mine/dvd that my brother played once awhile back. I went through stints of liking what was popular at the time in teenage yrs in the 80s, but always gravitated to music i really liked. But again, you either get it or you dont, cause you wont be relistening to music over and over like music lovers do.

Zeppelin is quite a magical experience that is best discovered on one's own.

I don't know if it is the best idea to push it on someone or go out of your way to introduce it. Kids will usually rebel against it is there is too much of a parental association.

My son has always liked my music. When he was only four years old he used to sing The Who's Subsitute all the time. I wonder how many four year olds know all the words to any Who song?

But in terms of Zeppelin, my son (now 16) is thoroughly educated in Zep music. He regularly listens to the BBC sessions, and several of my old boot albums too. When most kids his age only know Zeppelin by STH, R&R and Ramble On. My son goes much deeper into the music... including the influences of Zeppelin like Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and others.

But I believe that all GOOD music is going to be passed along to each generation. In my own experience, I am a fan of my parent's music as well. From Frank Sinatra and Benny Goodman to Hank Williams and Dave Brubeck... good is good!

Archived