Guitar pedals

Matthew!

What do you have? What are your favorites? What do you want?

I'm working with this:

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone -> Boss DS-1 Distortion -> Boss TR-2 Tremolo -> Line 6 DL-4 (delay processor)

And I have an Original Crybaby Wah, it's just not in my chain right now.

img1189on4.jpg

The DL-4 would be my favorite. It's extremely versatile, sounds great, nice rugged construction. I use it very often.

Aaaand I recently discovered this little jem.

Too bad it's almost $400. :rolleyes:

I just acquired some new toys via a trade over at the ultimate-guitar forums. So my chain goes....

Boss TU2 tuner-gotta be in tune

Catalinbread Ottava Magus octave fuzz-recomended for strat use but adds a cool sound to the LP

Dunlop 535q

Rotovibe- sweet pedal here, I love pedals that I can control with my feet

Gig-fx Chopper- same as above

Digitech Digidelay

EH Russian Small Stone phaser-really nails Page's phase sound

BBE Mind Bender chorus/vibrato

Boss DD20 delay

The delay and the Mind Bender may come out pretty soon.

I also have a Digitech phaser, a Boss phaser and Chorus Ensemble that are goin unused.

got a boss DS-1 (crap, needs hours of fine tuning to get a desent sound)

and a MXR distortion III really nice, usefull on all settings.

It dosn't have a lot of gain, but it adds really good distortion to a good base sound.

I don't mess around with too much stuff between the guitar and amplifier, although it does depend on what I need at the time, so the set-up varies. The basis is a Mesa Engineering V-Twin Preamp, and a Uni-Vibe. I also use an aging Boss DD3 digital delay for some slap-echo, if the mood takes me. I also have a Cry-Baby, compressors and other odds and sods that get used for recording purposes.

I like to keep it simple on stage.

RB

I have Boss pedals: A Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stage Tuner, a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal (I turn the "overdrive/distortion" knob all the way to the "distortion" side but only turn the "drive" knob up to about 9 O'clock.) It cuts through better that way. Also a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal, and a Boss PH-3 Phase shifter. And, to save on batteries, a 1 spot Visual sound NW1 adaptor to save big time on 9-volt batteries.

I have thought about getting a compressor and a pitch shifter.

My pedals:

WH-1 original Digitech Whammy pedal

Cry Baby (white logo on black faceplate) Wah Wah with original Fasel inductor

Roto-vibe

Electro-Harmonix Small Stone

Boss Jap analog delays come and go. I take them apart. Once I put one in a childrens wand shaped toy called a Magical Musical Thing, but mostly I take the foot cover off so I can manipulate the on button by hand, and tape the pedal to the left hand side of my guitar strap. This allows me to operate the knobs while I play.

My next pedal is going to be a Line 6 delay, because it has a long sampling time and creates layers of loops easily. I'm imagining covering Trampled Underfoot using this pedal to create some of the layers in the guitar solo.

My pedals:

WH-1 original Digitech Whammy pedal

Cry Baby (white logo on black faceplate) Wah Wah with original Fasel inductor

Roto-vibe

Electro-Harmonix Small Stone

Boss Jap analog delays come and go. I take them apart. Once I put one in a childrens wand shaped toy called a Magical Musical Thing, but mostly I take the foot cover off so I can manipulate the on button by hand, and tape the pedal to the left hand side of my guitar strap. This allows me to operate the knobs while I play.

My next pedal is going to be a Line 6 delay, because it has a long sampling time and creates layers of loops easily. I'm imagining covering Trampled Underfoot using this pedal to create some of the layers in the guitar solo.

The Boss DD20 has longer loop time of 23 seconds, and the dd7 that is comin out supposedly has 40.

The Boss DD20 has longer loop time of 23 seconds, and the dd7 that is comin out supposedly has 40.

um.. when I say left I mean my other left... freaking duh.

I'll look into that Boss. I'm trying to get out of this for $150.00, so a used one is whats me at the mo mo.

The Boss DD20 has longer loop time of 23 seconds

Line 6's DL-4 loops a maximum of 28 seconds. It's advertised at 14 seconds, but that's recording at full speed. If you put it on half speed, then record, you get 28 seconds.

I try to keep things simple, I have a few effects but rarely use them.

TS-9

Dunlop Crybaby

Danelectro compressor

MXR Phase 90

I used to have a Boss Chorus too, but lent it to a friend years ago and never got it back. :(

After years of innumerable stomp boxes, I've narrowed it down to an Ibanez TS-9 (just for a lead boost. No distortion) , a Cry Baby classic, an EH Small Stone (Sov model), and a Boss Digital Delay (which I hope to replace with an analog delay). Simpler is better!

Not always, friend! Though I can understand the logic. :beer:

Even if I don't necessarily agree with it. :lol:

The problem with adding numerous in-line effects is that it begins to strangle the sound of the guitar, whether they are in use, or not. I am of the same ethos as Evester2012: keep it simple; the more toys, the more distractions. However, I did read an interview with Robin Trower many years ago, who blithely stated that his Marshall amps were used just to amplify his effects!

RB

After years of innumerable stomp boxes, I've narrowed it down to an Ibanez TS-9 (just for a lead boost. No distortion) , a Cry Baby classic, an EH Small Stone (Sov model), and a Boss Digital Delay (which I hope to replace with an analog delay). Simpler is better!

What does a EH Small Stone do?

What does a EH Small Stone do?

It's a phase shifter. The quickest references I can give are Eddie's sound on Van Halen's first album, and the swirly sound at the beginning of Kashmir on the Unledded/No Quarter show. Also, Bonzo's drums on Kasmir are phase shifted. It's a different effect than a flanger (Nobody's Fault But Mine). A flanger is so-named because it replicates the sound that's created when one would rest a thumb on the flange of a tape reel in the studio. As the tape is released and catches up, it creates a jet sound. A phaser takes two frequencies of a signal and oscillates them, creating a swirling effect.

as far as effects go, when I get a desent amp I'll just get a few overdrive and distortion pedals,

a good delay (probably digital with a good analog emulator), maybe a good phaser pedal and

defenatly a good reverb (if there isn't a good one in the amp)

I don't like a lot of effects, and when I use them I only use a little to spice up the basic amp sound.

The problem with adding numerous in-line effects is that it begins to strangle the sound of the guitar, whether they are in use, or not. I am of the same ethos as Evester2012: keep it simple; the more toys, the more distractions. However, I did read an interview with Robin Trower many years ago, who blithely stated that his Marshall amps were used just to amplify his effects!

RB

Right right, that's why I can understand it. I'm a big fan of The Mars Volta though, whose guitarist is a pedal collector, and uses at least two large pedal boards live to get some very interesting sounds. And I like interesting sounds. Sure, he needs another guy dedicated solely to operating his boards, but he gets the sounds, right? :P

Right right, that's why I can understand it. I'm a big fan of The Mars Volta though, whose guitarist is a pedal collector, and uses at least two large pedal boards live to get some very interesting sounds. And I like interesting sounds. Sure, he needs another guy dedicated solely to operating his boards, but he gets the sounds, right? :P

Oh for sure! A line boost here. A hardwire bypass there. Whatever makes you happy! Hell, David Gilmour used a Big Muff (one of the noisiest little bastards you'll ever come across) to great effect (affect?). It's all in how you line them up. There's nothing worse than a chain that amplifies a 60 cycle hum to the point it vibrates the snares when your volume is all the way down on your guitar. Or worse, you actually get feedback from the pedalboard when you're not even plugged in! I love effects. It's just when I want them out of the chain, I want them OUT! Nothing beats the pure tone of a power tube flogged within an inch of its life. If you haven't experienced a 25 watt amp on 10, screw the "Gain" or "Drive", you haven't lived! But hey, we all have to multitask right? :lol:

Sometimes what sounds good at home sounds too muddy when you are playing with a group. It makes a big difference.

For sure! The subtlties you get in the bedroom don't always translate when drums and bass get into the mix. That's why I use a 50 watt Marshall with a Tube Screamer for lead boost. I can dig into the power tube section without being insanely loud, and still cut through with authority. I ebayed all my 100 watt Marshalls, including my Zakk 2203XZ, because I just wasn't in an environment I could exploit that power in. With my 50 watter and 4 Celestion Vintage 30s, I can push the master up and get some real sweet tones. I feel bad for these guys with 100 watt Marshall uberamps who never get past 12 o'clock. They're missing the whole point of having tubes. I compete with a 1000 watt SWR bass amp and a drummer who thinks he's never heard. Perfect environment for a 50 watt Marshall cranked up around 8. Hell, I only use the Tube Screamer for a lead boost. I don't need a distortion box! I mean, I guess if you're doing that kind of music and you need the killer metal fuzz, but I don't. I want my Les Paul to sing. And it does.

So with the venues you play how much do you rely on a P.A. for the crowd to hear you? IF you are cranking the hell out of it---- to get it to sing and probably slightly distort can you just set the amp with the "ideal sound" in back of you and let it rip or do you need to mike it? As I'm sure you know, a mid -sized tube amp can be made to sound very large either way. At least with a distortion pedal you can manage the volume easier.

Also, how good is an Ibanez Tube Screamer if you use it to not only bump the signal, but to actually provide all the distortion?

So with the venues you play how much do you rely on a P.A. for the crowd to hear you? IF you are cranking the hell out of it---- to get it to sing and probably slightly distort can you just set the amp with the "ideal sound" in back of you and let it rip or do you need to mike it? As I'm sure you know, a mid -sized tube amp can be made to sound very large either way. At least with a distortion pedal you can manage the volume easier.

Also, how good is an Ibanez Tube Screamer if you use it to not only bump the signal, but to actually provide all the distortion?

It depends on what you are looking for. The TS-9 is very transparent sounding and while it'll fatten up a clean sound and give you pretty good sustain for lead's, it doesn't really give you the grit of a distortion pedal.

I just bought a Enhancer/limiter pedal from Behringer. I already have the Beheringer multi F/X rack with pedal, but i want something to even out the bass in certain part of songs, without killing tone that i request from the rack. Like if a guitarist goes into a solo, I don;t wanna change the way i feel the groove, but i don't wanna drown out the guitarist since i always try to play the most complicated bass lines.

I'm very happy with the Rack F/X, but i am starting to buy different pedal's to give me the exact tone i want, like a good flanger for No Quarter

Archived