Dam Epiphone

pinky

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul standard about 26 hours ago from Guitar Center and the dam nut and washer fell off but the nut wash friggin stripped and when I plug it in all that happens is a loud buzzing. Now I have to return it and I'm pissed! Does this usually happen? SHIT!!!!!!!!!

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul standard about 26 hours ago from Guitar Center and the dam nut and washer fell off but the nut wash friggin stripped and when I plug it in all that happens is a loud buzzing. Now I have to return it and I'm pissed! Does this usually happen? SHIT!!!!!!!!!

Hardly ever happens. Not harping on you but be sure to really check things out, esp. since you could play it, if you are a new player, try to get someone that plays to go with.

I am assuming you mean a nut and washer from one of the tuning pegs? Replace those as soon as possible, once you get the Epi that you are gonna keep.

The loud buzzing is surely just a loose wire, so not a huge deal.

Just take the thing back, unless you really like it plays. If you are gonna keep it, take it back and demand that they fix it, which shouldn't be an issue, and try to get the new tuners tossed in for your trouble, and your not quite up to snuff guitar.0

I had the same guitar, and it was about as good as an Epi gets. I never had one problem with it, and it played and sounded alot like a Gibson, it just felt a bit cheaper.

Are you referring to the jack socket? If so, it's no big deal for the shop you bought it from to fix it. They should do it whilst you wait, as it's a simple soldering job. Return the guitar and (politley) point out the fault. There's no point in going in and ranting: just ask them to rectify the problem.

No, it's not normal for things like this to happen. You have just been unlucky this time.

RB

Well, if the nut and washer fell off of the jack, you wouldn't be able to plug the cord in fully and no wonder it's just a loud buzzing. Probably not a loose wire at all. Just take the 4 little screws out of the plastic plate, push the jack back through it, put the nut and washer back on securely and screw it back on. It's probably not stripped, you probably just can't get a good bite on the thread to screw it back on.

i have an epiphone. it's a hollow body. a bit harder to repair the shorted out wires in those. my input jack kept coming loose on me . i would re tighten it each time. eventually all the moving around caused the wires to come loose from the jack. also one of the bolts snapped into when i was lightly turning a screw to adjust the action.. it and all the hard wear looked like to be made of plastic coated with fake chrome. epiphones are also notorious for having weak necks. many people have complained of them snapping into.

Yah I traded it for a new one but I'm gonna a different one it's ugly as all hell it's a orange to red.

Well, I hope your issue was resolved. However, I have to agree with the poster above. Guitars can vary widely in production quality. You really need to examine each one individually. In your situation, there's the possibility that you have an outstanding piece that happens to be of a color not necessarily to your liking (but you bought it in the first place), and maybe has a minor flaw that's easily fixed. I have a Chinese made Epi LP that plays better than my last two Gibson Standards. However most Epi LPs I've played are nowhere near as smooth. My point is, if you find a nice player, don't trade it in over an easy fix or a color swap.

If any metal part comes stripped at purchase, some dweeb who doesn't know his ass from his elbow probably saw a loose nut when unpacking and over-cranked it. It's a quick swap that any tech could easily do in minutes under warranty. It's just two wires. Don't dismiss the whole instrument over a wiring glitch. If the wood is a nice piece and the fretwork is quality, a replacement jack and a soldering iron can be had for under ten bucks. Black is ground, white is hot. :wink:

Well if you can find a store that will stand behind their product more power to you. But it seems to me that once they have your damn money its all over. I am going to play hard ball before I buy another guitar. Ill tell them to keep it if they won't budge on price.

Wow, where do you shop? :huh:

I've had an Epiphone since last December and it still works like a dream, however the shop I got it from didnt set it up properly so took it to another local store which i find more friendly and got it fully set up for £30.

Also recently the washer fell off a month or so ago so it happens.

Also recently the washer fell off a month or so ago so it happens.

Never owned a guitar the jack washer didn't come loose at least once! :lol:

Now fishing the blasted jack out of a hollowbody with no control cover plate. THAT'S a bitch!! :rant:

Now fishing the blasted jack out of a hollowbody with no control cover plate. THAT'S a bitch!! :rant:

Now that is one of my greatest fears! I have an ES335, and although the guitar is 19 years old and giving me no problems at present, I dread the day that a pot or somthing equally unaccessable needs replacing.

RB

Now that is one of my greatest fears! I have an ES335, and although the guitar is 19 years old and giving me no problems at present, I dread the day that a pot or somthing equally unaccessable needs replacing.

RB

I think they make special tools for fising hollow bodies. If not specific to guitars, I have seen luthier tables that seemed to have the appropriate tools for easy fixes.

Basically you remove the bridge pickup, and find some appropriate random object to stick in there to lift the thing into the hole! :lol:

In the case of my friend's Yamaha, I managed to skewer the jack with a Phillips screwdriver and draw the little bastard back out the hole. Not without some serious cursing during the process!

"M-f**ing piece of go**amn s**t! What stupid a**hole designed this m-f**ing..oh, there it is! C'mere you little f**er! That's right! Who owns you!!!! Who's the boss now?? Little bitch!"

I'm sure you know what I mean! :lol:

Basically you remove the bridge pickup, and find some appropriate random object to stick in there to lift the thing into the hole! :lol:

In the case of my friend's Yamaha, I managed to skewer the jack with a Phillips screwdriver and draw the little bastard back out the hole. Not without some serious cursing during the process!

"M-f**ing piece of go**amn s**t! What stupid a**hole designed this m-f**ing..oh, there it is! C'mere you little f**er! That's right! Who owns you!!!! Who's the boss now?? Little bitch!"

I'm sure you know what I mean! :lol:

Oh yeah. LMFAO :lol:

Get a tube of locktite after you get the problem resolved, and put a drop in before you tighten the jacknut/washer. I did this with my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass (strat style jack insert), and it hasn't come loose.

Thinking about the Epiphone 57 reissue Gold Top Les Paul for "living room guitar", anyone have any experiences with them?

Get a tube of locktite after you get the problem resolved, and put a drop in before you tighten the jacknut/washer. I did this with my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass (strat style jack insert), and it hasn't come loose.

Thinking about the Epiphone 57 reissue Gold Top Les Paul for "living room guitar", anyone have any experiences with them?

Like EVSTER said, you will find that the quality varies. I was playing one at the local, beautiful guitar, setup and played sweetly. I was very tempted. My mates example is also a beauty. The soapbars sound smooth as, and have a bit of punch to them. Again, play a few. I'm sure you'll find one that pleases. Oh sh** hang on, I think I might be thinking of the 56' ? :blink:

Archived