7-17-73 and 7-17-77 Listen today!

Another tough guy

Did you just come here with a chip on your shoulder?

When you refer to what is a favorite tour of many as "shit", you should expect to catch some flak. And quite honestly, I don't think any of it was meant to be malicious.

Lighten up. B)

I can't resist stating my thoughts on this ! My opinion is that Copenhagen ( 2nd night 1979 ), Knebworth 8/4/79 , and several dates from 1980 are superior listens to a good chunk of '77. The dates from '80 that stand out are 6/29 Zurich, 6/30 Frankfurt, and Brussels 6/20. some of this I am sure is due to the soundboards being better quality ( Copenhagen is an aud recording but one of the best ever )But I will re listen to some of my 77 stuff and see if it grabs me in a different way.

If Zep history was any different they wouldn't be the untouchable legends they are, no one can ever come close. I don't think it's posible !

If anyone hasn't heard the Copenhagen show it is scary how good it is, absolutely on fire is Jimmy, best live ALS I have for sure ! Have a great day all !

Did you just come here with a chip on your shoulder?

When you refer to what is a favorite tour of many as "shit", you should expect to catch some flak. And quite honestly, I don't think any of it was meant to be malicious.

Lighten up. B)

Look, I addressed those comments quite some time ago and if you or anyone else are to lazy to read the rest of the thread that's your problem.

I dont mind people arguing a point that differs from mine but to personally attack me.I tend to take offense when those comments are made on a keyboard that would not be made to my face.

Now if you want to debate 77 thats fine I'd love to.

Look, I addressed those comments quite some time ago and if you or anyone else are to lazy to read the rest of the thread that's your problem.

I dont mind people arguing a point that differs from mine but to personally attack me.I tend to take offense when those comments are made on a keyboard that would not be made to my face.

Seattle '77 was a weak performance, no doubt. If they'd had the camera's rolling during the 6 shows

at the Forum or the 5 shows at MSG, the '77 tour would be viewed in a much more positive way.

How they didn't professionally record at least a few of these concerts baffles me to this day.

P.S. this Led Zeppelins official website, refering to them as 'shit' is not gonna fly here (except for Stryborn, you made his day with that comment).

I wouldn't hesitate to say in person what I typed. And you'd probably see that it was more light hearted than the way you read it.

Anyway, carry on....

• 2 weeks later...
I can't resist stating my thoughts on this ! My opinion is that Copenhagen ( 2nd night 1979 ), Knebworth 8/4/79 , and several dates from 1980 are superior listens to a good chunk of '77. The dates from '80 that stand out are 6/29 Zurich, 6/30 Frankfurt, and Brussels 6/20. some of this I am sure is due to the soundboards being better quality ( Copenhagen is an aud recording but one of the best ever )But I will re listen to some of my 77 stuff and see if it grabs me in a different way.

If Zep history was any different they wouldn't be the untouchable legends they are, no one can ever come close. I don't think it's posible !

If anyone hasn't heard the Copenhagen show it is scary how good it is, absolutely on fire is Jimmy, best live ALS I have for sure ! Have a great day all !

I have a copy of the 2nd night at Copenhagen, listened to it many times and....you're right! It does kick ass. The "new plan" of Zep was to come out firing, no long, drawn out solos, quick -to the point- songs with a no bullshit attitude. All that was put out at the Copenhagen shows, although they had a power outage the first night which threw everything off, the 2nd night was incredible!

Let's face it 1977 was excessive, but it did have its share of amazing shows. Thank God they gave up the "solos" by 79-80 though.

I've heard it. I didn't think it was that good. I've heard better.

I thought one of them was sloppy.

And now for saying that, I will get attacked. haha

Cuz everybody loves Destroyer.

Not by me! :lol:

Destroyer is okay. It's taken on some mythical status because it was one of the most circulated boots back when we were scavenging swap meets for vinyl.

And Styrborn would probably like to buy you a drink for saying so! :lol:

Where's he been anyway? :unsure:

Styr, get off Bobin and check in fer shit's sake mate!! :beer:

I\'ve heard ratty shows in 1973 and 1975 too. Some of the 1973 shows bored me to tears and were laden with mistakes. 75 fared better, but wasn\'t perfect either.

In general, I stand by my opinion that 1977 was the best live year ever.

It was great. At least the one I was at. And it included Physical Graffitti. And Presence.

It was great. At least the one I was at. And it included Physical Graffitti. And Presence.

The setlist was virtually identical throughout the tour. Typically:

The Song Remains the Same, The Rover (introduction) / Sick Again, Nobody’s Fault But Mine, Over the Hills and Far Away, Since I’ve Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, The Battle of Evermore, Going To California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, White Summer / Black Mountain Side, Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, Out On the Tiles (introduction) / Moby Dick, guitar solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, and Whole Lotta Love / Rock and Roll.

The setlist was virtually identical throughout the tour. Typically:

The Song Remains the Same, The Rover (introduction) / Sick Again, Nobody’s Fault But Mine, Over the Hills and Far Away, Since I’ve Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, The Battle of Evermore, Going To California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, White Summer / Black Mountain Side, Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, Out On the Tiles (introduction) / Moby Dick, guitar solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, and Whole Lotta Love / Rock and Roll.

True, I hated the boring old WLL into rock and roll encores..i prefer 1970 when they played several covers and medleys.

True, I hated the boring old WLL into rock and roll encores..i prefer 1970 when they played several covers and medleys.

Yeah, by 1977 they'd really cut down the jamming (except No Quarter). Dazed was gone. Even at Knebworth in 1979, WLL lost the big theremin jam, and got the visit to You Need Love instead.

Seattle '77 was a weak performance, no doubt. If they'd had the camera's rolling during the 6 shows

at the Forum or the 5 shows at MSG, the '77 tour would be viewed in a much more positive way.

How they didn't professionally record at least a few of these concerts baffles me to this day.

P.S. this Led Zeppelins official website, refering to them as 'shit' is not gonna fly here (except for Stryborn, you made his day with that comment).

didn't they play 6 shows at MSG :D

you can look around and find plenty of 77 bashing on this site.

My wife went to the 77 concert at Capital Centre in Largo Md. She still has the stub. I was fortunate enough to find a vinyl copy of the concert some time aga and gave it to her as a Christmas present.

Love the shows from 77 because they played a lot of songs from their career up to that point. Some sounded better than others. Still, if I would pay top dollar to see their "worst show" if in fact one existed. Well, maybe not the one where Bonzo got sick and the show ended early...

I have an entire room in my house with tons of Zep memorablia and I'm not talking cheap posters. Original and very expensive stuff!! I have two les Pauls along with other cheaper guitars. I'm teaching my 6 year old son how to play guitar. He's learning Whole Lotta Love right now. His favorite song is Kashmir so the boy is on the right track regarding musical tastes.

When I read threads about Zep being "good" or "shit" - I wonder what the posters are referring to specifically? Usually the focus is on Jimmy's guitar work. A lot of people in this forum enjoy shows where Plant's voice (for me) is shot. No matter how you paint it, it's painful to listen to Plant if he ain't singing right. But a lot of people overlook that. So for those people who love Zep at Plant's weakest - I figure that's your taste and you're entitled to it.

But don't slam the band when the band isn't at their best, but isn't at their worst. The band at Live Aid and the Atlantic 40th were pretty bad - though that was years later.

It's true however that some Zep is better than no Zep, and Seattle, warts and all, is a pretty priceless document. Zep wasn't exactly brilliant at documenting their own legacy...and to be able to see the band in some shape and form has to be appreciated. Of course, one can slam and say it's unwatchable, unlistenable, etc. I think that's a little harsh...

• 3 weeks later...
I find that people who criticize the 1977 shows the most, are people that were not even born until after 1980 and/or were too young in the 70’s to actually have seen them live.

They have only the bootleg (audio/video) material to form their opinions.

As the old saying goes; “I guess you had to have been there!” B):D

So true... The bootleg material is a distortion of what this band was all about. I know, I know, in alot of cases it's all we have to go by. But unless you were there and can speak to those shows, it just doesn't carry too much weight, at least IMHO.

I was fortunate enough to have seen eight shows in Chicago over a period of almost four years that spanned three tours. 7/7/73, 1/20/75, 1/21/75, 1/22/75, 4/6/77, 4/7/77, 4/9/77, and 4/10/77. They all had their own special feel or mood, whether it was the band's vibe or the crowds. Yes, the band could be uneven at times, but by the end of that three hour set, you were wrung out totally, physically and emotionally. And despite the fact that I was, let's say, mood altered at every one of them, I remember all eight shows distinctly.

Those Chicago shows are not looked at as being particularly special musically from a historical context. I very rarely see any of them on "lists" of great shows that many of the members post here, but I sure as hell enjoyed them! I can tell people all day long how good they were and feel good about it. But by the same token, BECAUSE I was lucky enough to have seen them so many times, I CANNOT in any way go around talking about how shitty shows in another city were, especially based on what in many cases was a guy with a tape deck and a hand held mic!

The April '77 shows, at least to me, were wonderful. Granted, it was early in the tour and things were still fresh, but the band was playful, and the vibe was good. Even the 4/9 Saturday night show that was cut short due to Jimmy's "stomach ailment" was shaping up to to be loose and fun. On 4/10 Easter Sunday, we sat 2nd. row for the "Stormtrooper show", and Jimmy and the rest of the band returned to turn in a triumphantly blistering set. That's how I remember the '77 tour. I base it on what I saw, heard, and FELT. But put on even a decent quality boot of one of those shows, and I guarantee you it wasn't how the people who were there will remember it.

The bootlegs have their legendary place in the band's history, and they offer a glimpse of moments in time that otherwise can never be re-captured. I have a couple from shows that I was at, as many do. One of them that a member of the site sent me, 7/7/73, was my first concert, and is one of my prized possesions and mementos of that night. But that show was MUCH more than you'll ever hear come through on that tape. They were the whole package.... They had charisma, they had the look.... The attitude, strut, power, and elegance they exuded set them far apart from every other major act of their generation. And damn, those boys could FLAT OUT PLAY.

Yep, on their worst night, they were, and still are, the best there ever was.... B)

Archived