1973 Bootlegs?

spencer

I just got this excellent sounding Southhampton '73 show in this past weekend. My friend told me

that the beginning of "Stairway To Heaven" from this show was patched into the "Stairway To Heaven"

version on the official "HTWWW" cd set.

That smells like horse shit to me, but I'll compare the two and get back to you on that.

I just got this excellent sounding Southhampton '73 show in this past weekend. My friend told me

that the beginning of "Stairway To Heaven" from this show was patched into the "Stairway To Heaven"

version on the official "HTWWW" cd set.

I believe it's JPJ's mellotron (sp?) that is borrowed from the Southampton recording and used for Stairway on HTWWW. Jones was still using the organ for Stairway on the 72 US Tour and I guess Page felt the need to switch them.

This is what I have from 73

SHEFFIELD 2.1.73.

OXFORD BLUES. OXFORD 7.1.73.

LIVERPOOL 14.1.73.

BROKEN FINGERS. STOKE 15.1.73.

STOKE 15.1.73. (2ND SOURCE)

ABERYSTWYTH 16.1.73.

BRADFORD 18.1. 73

SOUTHAMPTON 22.1.73. (multitrack mixdown)

ABERDEEN 25.1.73.

DUNDEEISM. DUNDEE 27.1.73.

EDINBURGH. 28.1.73.

PRESTON. 30.1.73.

GOTHENBERG 4.3.73.

COPENHAGEN 5.3.73.

STOCKHOLM 6.3.73.

I CAN'T GET NO SATISFACTION. STOCKHOLM. 6.3.73.

A15. ROTTERDAM. 11.3.73

NUREMBURG 14.3.73.

VIENNA 16.3.73.

THE 4TH REICH. MUNICH. 17.3.1973.

THE 4TH REICH. BERLIN. 19.3.1973

HAMBURG 21.3.73,

ESSEN 22.3.1973.

SWEET AT NIGHT. OFENBURG.24.3.73.

OFFENBURG 24.3. 1973

LYON 26.3.73.

NANCY 27.3.73.

VIVE LA FRANCE. PARIS 1.4. 73.

PARIS. 2.4.73.

DAYS CONFUSED. DALLAS 3.5.73.

DAYS CONFUSED. DALLAS 3.5.73 (BONUS DISCS)

56,000 IN THE OCEAN. TAMPA. 5.5.73.

MOBILE DICK.ALABAMA 13.5.73.

JOHNNY PISTON & THE DOGS. NEW ORLEANS.14.5.73.

NEW ORLEANS 14.5.73.

HOUSTON. 16.5.73.

DALLAS 18.5.73.

THUNDER ROCK. DALLAS 73.

FORT WORTH 19.5.73.

DENVER. 25.5.73.

THE DIRTY TRICK. SALT LAKE CITY. 26.5.73.

SAN DIEGO 28.5.73.

BONZOS BIRTHDAY. 31.5.73.

LA FORUM. 31.5.73.

KEZAR STADIUM, SF. 2.6.73

LA FORUM 3.6.73.

SECOND CITY SHOWDOWN. CHICAGO. 6.7.73.

ROCKIN' IN CHICAGO. 6.7.73.

CHICAGO 7.7.73.

MINNESOTA 9.7.73.

MOTOR CITY DAZE. DETROIT.12.7.73.

DETROIT 13.7.73.

LIVE IN BUFFALO 15.7.73.

SEATTLE 17.7.73.

VANCOUVER 18.7.73.

BOSTON CREAM PIE. BOSTON 20.7.73.

LZ RHODER.21.7.73.

BALTIMORE 23.7.73.

PITTSBURGH. 24.7.73

PITTSBURGH 24.7.73. (2ND SOURCE)

MSG 27.7.73.

MSG 28.7.73.

MSG 29.7.73

TORONTO 17. 8.73

CHECK IT OUT. CHICAGO/SOUTHAMPTON/LA.73.

I believe it's JPJ's mellotron (sp?) that is borrowed from the Southampton recording and used for Stairway on HTWWW. Jones was still using the organ for Stairway on the 72 US Tour and I guess Page felt the need to switch them.

Yes, That's exactly what my friend told me. Thanks.

I've always thought the New Orleans show (14/05/73?) was excellent - great performance & an excellent audience recording. Recommended!

I agree i attended the show .Robert got a little upset they would not put out the lights due to crowd and security issues.There are serveral good versions out there.

I've always thought the New Orleans show (14/05/73?) was excellent - great performance & an excellent audience recording. Recommended!

I agree i attended the show .Robert got a little upset they would put out the lights due to crowd and security issues.There are serveral good versions out there.

Yes, the woodwind samples on the Mellotron are much more pleasing than the Farfisa organ sounds used the years before. And IMO, a good choice. We all have the boots, and I have no problem with the effort to achieve the ultimate Zeppelin experience. It may be a hybrid, but it sure as hell rocks my world! I have no complaints. It's like when I found out KISS: Alive was heavily doctored in the studio. It really didn't matter after so many years. That album was the bridge to Zeppelin for me. It showed me "what rock and roll was all about". Then there was TSRTS. So they gave it a chemical peel. It's still the object of my affection. Likewise whatever they did with HTWWW. I really don't care. It takes me there.

Yes, the woodwind samples on the Mellotron are much more pleasing than the Farfisa organ sounds used the years before. And IMO, a good choice. We all have the boots, and I have no problem with the effort to achieve the ultimate Zeppelin experience. It may be a hybrid, but it sure as hell rocks my world! I have no complaints. It's like when I found out KISS: Alive was heavily doctored in the studio. It really didn't matter after so many years. That album was the bridge to Zeppelin for me. It showed me "what rock and roll was all about". Then there was TSRTS. So they gave it a chemical peel. It's still the object of my affection. Likewise whatever they did with HTWWW. I really don't care. It takes me there.

I agree, it was a good choice and I have no problem with the hybrid version. While the Jones's organ

did give Stairway a certain "mood" or atmosphere in the early days, the mellotron had a more bright uplifting sound to it, and replicated the studio version better.

From The Garden Tapes:

How How The West Was Won Was Done

A new Garden Tapes feature

by Eddie Edwards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stairway To Heaven

The spoken introduction is from LA but the song itself is from Long Beach. There is a part of this song, though, that is certainly not from either California concert.

On the 1972 American tour, John Paul Jones was still using the same droning organ sound for the first verses of "Stairway" as he had been since the band began playing the song live in March 1971. This can be most clearly heard on the BBC version from 1st April 1971. When Zep visited Japan in October 1972, Jonesy began using a Mellotron for this piece and from then on he was able to produce an effect quite similar to the genuine four-recorders sound on the fourth album, but in America in June he did not have this instrument at his disposal.

Slightly puzzling, then, that the version of "Stairway" on "How The West Was Won" should feature a stunningly beautiful woodwind accompaniment to the guitar and vocal from 0:12 to 2:14!

Although the keyboard sound in this passage does not come across all that clearly on the LA and Long Beach bootlegs, there's no doubt at all that the notes, and the instrument on which they are being played, are utterly different from what has appeared on the official release. The guitar and vocal parts on "How The West Was Won" are unmistakably from Long Beach '72, so the obvious conclusion is that John Paul and/or Jimmy didn't like the keyboard part on the original recordings and decided to replace it. But how? Had Jonesy brushed a few years' worth of dust off the mellotron, or an even thicker layer of dust off those old recorders, and laid down a completely new part in the studio? That was a possibility, but not a particularly realistic one.

In the 2005 edition of The Concert File, Dave Lewis and Simon Pallett provided the following information concerning the show at Southampton University on 22nd January, 1973: "Tonight's show ... was professionally recorded on Page's instructions. ... In 2002 Page salvaged the tapes for this show for consideration for release for what would become the How The West Was Won official live set. Engineer Kevin Shirley did mixdown some of the performances from this show for possible use but ultimately they decided to issue the 1972 Los Angeles and Long Beach recordings." Armed with this information, it wasn't too difficult to make an educated guess at where the "Stairway" mellotron part on "How The West Was Won" had come from.

Happily for Led Zeppelin fans everywhere, and particularly for those of us who like to convert educated guesses into documented facts, the aforementioned Southampton recording became available on bootleg and in trading circles in the summer of 2007, providing confirmation that the first couple of minutes of "Stairway" on "How The West Was Won" contain sounds that span seven months and 5,500 miles. A slightly disconcerting thought, but not one that sticks too long in the mind when you're actually listening to the exquisite mellotron sound, the wonderfully inventive playing, the smooth, flowing melodies interrupted briefly by a series of gentle staccato chords behind "...songbird who sings, sometimes all of our thoughts are..."

The organ sound on the early live versions of "Stairway" is captivating and deeply atmospheric, but it imparts a very sombre, almost eerie feel to the first part of the song compared to the brighter and more uplifting mood created by the Mellotron woodwind on the later versions. It's my guess that artistic preference for the later style was the principal reason for ditching the organ part but it would be extremely interesting to hear the California 1972 professional recordings in their original form in order perhaps to gain some further insight into why this decision was taken.

Definitely the most controversial aspect of this live album but, as is the case throughout, it's impossible to argue with the quality of the end product.

Archived