Mick Jagger officially a senior

Perpetual bad boy Mick Jagger officially a senior

jagger-cp-4611771.jpg

Mick Jagger poses for photographers with his partner, former U.S. model L'Wren Scott, as they arrive for the U.K. premiere of the Stones documentary Shine A Light in April.Mick Jagger poses for photographers with his partner, former U.S. model L'Wren Scott, as they arrive for the U.K. premiere of the Stones documentary Shine A Light in April. (Matt Dunham/Associated Press)

Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger turned 65 on Saturday, making him eligible for a U.K. pension equivalent to $180 Cdn a week.

But rock's original bad boy is not planning his retirement.

On Friday, record company Universal announced it has signed an "exclusive, long-term, worldwide" deal with the Rolling Stones.

The contract, covering future albums by the Stones, means Jagger will be rocking well into his 70s.

The Stones previously recorded a one-off live album with Universal.

The Rolling Stones let their deal with EMI, their traditional record company, lapse in March.

EMI was taken over by private equity company Terra Firma in 2007 and has since lost many of its big name acts to Live Nation and other competitors.

The deal with the Stones includes rights to a back catalogue that includes albums such as Angie, Brown Sugar and Black and Blue.

Universal said it is "planning an unprecedented, long-term campaign to reposition the Rolling Stones' entire catalogue for the digital age."

Universal also stands to benefit from the Stones' hugely successful touring. The Bigger Bang tour, which ended in 2007, grossed close to $560 million.

Jagger, who shocked the British public with his pout and his gyrations when the Stones were formed in the 1960s, is still doing age-defying performances around the world.

He was born in Dartford in southern Britain on July 26, 1943, the son of a gym teacher and a hairdresser.

Brian Jones recruited Jagger for a band he wanted to call the Rollin' Stones, after a Muddy Waters tune, in 1963. The early lineup for the band was Jones, Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. The "g" was later restored to the name.

Mick and the boys became household names in Britain as early as 1964, shocking because of their long hair and loud music.

Their first U.K.-U.S. megahit was (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, and they went on to cultivate a huge fan base with songs such as Ruby Tuesday, Under My Thumb and Paint It Black.

Jagger, who has been married twice, has seven children and is a grandfather. He is also a multi-millionaire, unlikely to need that pension.

The deal with the Stones includes rights to a back catalogue that includes albums such as Angie, Brown Sugar and Black and Blue.

I thought that i knew my Stones but i admit that i never knew they put out albums named Angie and Brown Sugar. Learn something new every day....

ANyway, way to go, Mick. Hope i have half your energy when i reach 65. Happy b-day, mate!

you always get your money's worth when you go see mick and the stones.....

Agreed. I first saw The Rolling Stones in 1981 at an outdoor stadium, and they put on a great show. In 97 and 98 they sounded even better. I have missed them many times over the years, but i'm certain they will be great next time they tour (if it happens). As for money's worth, unfortunately since they always sell out, tickets usually run at least $125 to $150 a piece...hefty fee to pay.

I love the Stones - I've been listening to them since I was five years old and I've been attending their concerts since the early '70's. The Stones have been around for almost my entire life and I never tire of them. Unfortunately, the last time they played anywhere near here, the tickets sold out before we had a chance to buy them. I have never been disappointed in a Stones' concert. Even their move, "Shine a Light" was fantastic.

There was an article about the Stones just today:

Rolling Stones Switch Labels Still a commercial powerhouse: Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones performed in front of a capacity crowd in Oslo last August.

Best wishes to Mick Jagger and thanks for decades of incredible music. Happy 65th!

Mick and his Stones bandmates don't intend to gather much moss...a new record deal now

and another tour late next year...

From the BBC:

Stones ditch EMI

The band sign a long-term deal with record label Universal

25 July 2008 - On the eve of Sir Mick Jagger's 65th birthday, the Rolling Stones have signed a worldwide deal with Universal Music Group after a long association with EMI.

It means that EMI will lose the rights to new recordings as well as the band's back catalogue since the Seventies - estimated to be worth around £3 million a year.

Their departure from Guy Hand's EMI follows that of Radiohead, Sir Paul McCartney and Damon Albarn for his new Chinese opera.

Any new material will now be released by Universal Music Group’s Polydor label through UMG companies worldwide.

They now hold the rights to the band’s iconic previous recordings , including albums such as Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St. and Black And Blue, as well as their mammoth hits Brown Sugar, It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll and Start Me Up.

The Stones have stated: “Universal are forward thinking, creative and hands-on music people. We really look forward to working with them".

Word from Universal

“There is no question that the Rolling Stones are one of the most important bands in music history,” said Doug Morris, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group.

“Their musical style and off-stage swagger have been emulated by countless others. Having worked closely with them during my days at Atlantic Records, I am thrilled to be reunited with these seminal musicians who have set the bar for all rock bands in their paths.

“I couldn’t be happier that they’ve chosen UMG as their partner for what will certainly be the next chapter in their already storied career.”

Chairman of Universal Music UK, David Joseph, is also thrilled with the news, saying: “The Rolling Stones are, and will continue to be, the definition of everything that is rock and roll. It is an honour to work with them.”

The Stones are still going strong with Shine A Light - their Martin Scorsese filmed gig at the Beacon Theatre, New York in 2006 - proving that an older Jagger can still bust out the moves.

Georgie Rogers

I thought that i knew my Stones but i admit that i never knew they put out albums named Angie and Brown Sugar. Learn something new every day....

ANyway, way to go, Mick. Hope i have half your energy when i reach 65. Happy b-day, mate!

The Stones did not put out albums called Angie or Brown Sugar.....Angie is a tune on the album GOATS HEAD SOUP....Brown Sugar is on the album STICKY FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Juliet

PS HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, MICK... :wave:

The Stones did not put out albums called Angie or Brown Sugar.....Angie is a tune on the album GOATS HEAD SOUP....Brown Sugar is on the album STICKY FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Juliet

PS HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, MICK... :wave:

zepaholic knew that...he was being 'ironic'.

Beatbo:

How was I supposed to know Zepaholic was being ironic? I don't know him? I can't read his mind? I can't hear him speak the words so that I can hear what he means by the "ironic" tone of his voice ...

All I know is ..."it's only rock and roll and I like it"

Juliet :kiss: ...that's me kissing Mick.....I wish!!!!

PS I have GHS..one of my fav albums...especially the tune Winter...

Edited by Juliet

Beatbo:

How was I supposed to know Zepaholic was being ironic? I don't know him? I can't read his mind? I can't hear him speak the words so that I can hear what he means by the "ironic" tone of his voice ...

All I know is ..."it's only rock and roll and I like it"

Juliet :kiss: ...that's me kissing Mick.....I wish!!!!

PS I have GHS..one of my fav albums...especially the tune Winter...

because the original poster made a mistake and listed his favorite songs but said 'albums'. zepaho;ic was being a smartass and posted what he said. i don't know either of them but i do start at the begininng with a new thread.

i'm glad you have GHS-i prefer 'silver train'.

now, don't start sweatin' me, juliet!.....i'm having a stroke today

because the original poster made a mistake and listed his favorite songs but said 'albums'. zepaho;ic was being a smartass and posted what he said. i don't know either of them but i do start at the begininng with a new thread.

i'm glad you have GHS-i prefer 'silver train'.

now, don't start sweatin' me, juliet!.....i'm having a stroke today

Beatbo:

Forget about the poster, albums..etc...you get well soon fellow Zep fan.....

Juliet

PS I heard Heartbreaker from GHS on the radio (ROCKET 101) this am..and I like Silver Train to...

Beatbo:

Forget about the poster, albums..etc...you get well soon fellow Zep fan.....

Juliet

PS I heard Heartbreaker from GHS on the radio (ROCKET 101) this am..and I like Silver Train to...

thank you....feeling better already!

Glad to hear it...beatbo...

I'm continuing my own personal week long celebration of Mick turning 65 years young...

Today I listened to tunes from two of his solo works .. SHE'S THE BOSS ('85) and GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY (01)

The tunes I like most from STB include Secrets, Just Another Night, 1/2 A Loaf, Hard Woman

From GITD I prefer the tunes God Gave Me Everything and Joy

Juliet

PS Thanks for all the music, Mick, but I have to admit I CAN'T GET NO SATISFACTION is my favourite

Edited by Juliet