Is there evidence of a Sabbath-Zeppelin Jam?

I was browsing around different sites last night and ran across a page that had talk of a tape existing with a jam consisting of members of Sabbath and Robert Plant and John Bonham. I find this highly unlikely and I'd have to hear it to believe it, but there were a few post on it. I can't remember the name of the site and it was very late so I didn't really pay attention. I know that members of both bands generally liked one another and would run into each other at the clubs but I don't believe Plant was ever fond of Sabbaths music, so that puts me in doubt....any clues? or did it occur?...who's got the tapes???!!!!

I was browsing around different sites last night and ran across a page that had talk of a tape existing with a jam consisting of members of Sabbath and Robert Plant and John Bonham. I find this highly unlikely and I'd have to hear it to believe it, but there were a few post on it. I can't remember the name of the site and it was very late so I didn't really pay attention. I know that Plant was never fond of Sabbths music, so that puts me more in doubt....any clues? or is it false?

According to Bill Ward in an Ozzy Q magazine special, there were jam sessions between both bands at Morgan studios (Early 70??) Bonzo & Plant were certainly there.

It happened my friend.

Now wheres those confounded tapes??? <_<

According to Bill Ward in an Ozzy Q magazine special, there were jam sessions between both bands at Morgan studios (Early 70??) Bonzo & Plant were certainly there.

It happened my friend.

Now wheres those confounded tapes??? <_<

Where's the link ? ...that would be a cool read

I've read in several ozzy interviews that he loves to tell "john bonham" stories....with the legends of these two's drinking escapades, I bet he has some good ones.

wouldn't surprise me a bit if they jammed together....

I have the radio tribute which BRMB (Birmingham, England) aired in the days following John Bonham's death. Ozzy is among many local musicians featured on the program

who comment on his passing. He reflects on some of the good times they had over

the years. You can hear the sadness in his voice.

I have the radio tribute which BRMB (Birmingam, England) aired in the days following John Bonham's death. Ozzy is among many local musicians featured on the program

who comment on his passing. He reflects on some of the good times they had over

the years. You can hear the sadness in his voice.

Very intriguing. It would be interesting to hear Ozzy speak about Bonzo.

As a fan of Sabbath I too would love to hear a Zeppelin/Sabbath jam session. I can only imagine some serious ripping going down. Maybe somewhere in the future a recording will surface.

If you check out this link below, scroll down to the 1975 section and you will see that they did jam together, but according to this source it wasn't recorded. However the site I visited yesterday says that there is a tape or some evidence of this historical moment. Does anybody out there have proof of a session. I'm shocked/suprisied that this went down. I believe it did happen without a doubt, after reading various articles in the last few hours, but does a recording exist? -that is the question.

http://www.rockdetector.com/officialbio,11...D37A514C77431DC

I remember reading somewhere, probably here on this board somewhere, that Bonham would make fun of Sabbath saying that "Sabbath is Shit!" He was probably just teasing them because they were from the same area.

If you check out this link below, scroll down to the 1975 section and you will see that they did jam together, but according to this source it wasn't recorded. However the site I visited yesterday says that there is a tape or some evidence of this historical moment. Does anybody out there have proof of a session. I'm shocked/suprisied that this went down. I believe it did happen without a doubt, after reading various articles in the last few hours, but does a recording exist? -that is the question.

http://www.rockdetector.com/officialbio,11...D37A514C77431DC

According to the link provided, the jam occured in Jan or Feb 1975. Having looked at Led Zeppelin's schedule for this time, if it did occur it was sometime between Jan 1-9

before the tour began. Jimmy was nursing a broken finger at the time so it makes

sense he would not have been in on it.

It couldn't have been during the mid-tour break in February because only JPJ and Bonzo returned to England; Robert and Jimmy went to Dominica in the Caribbean Islands (where Jimmy had a friend who owned a rum shop).

I note Don Arden (Sharon Osbourne's father) was Black Sabbath's manager during these sessions. Back in 1963 Don Arden had hired Peter Grant as a UK tour manager for Bo Diddley, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Brian Hyland, Chuck Berry and then (later in the year) Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and The Animals. So there was a management

connection here as well.

There is some discussion about it here:

http://www.iommi.com/archive/the_holy_sabbath.htm

Edit to add: I remember reading somewhere that Bonzo was Tony Iommi's best man at his first wedding. I cannot recall the source at this moment.

I took out the section that mentions the jam from your link...thanks! That was a great find indeed!!!

Iommi: John Bonham, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones came down to the studio and jammed with us when we were finishing the album. We were friends with John Bonham -- he was "local" -- but Bill would never let Bonham play his drums. He was afraid he'd break them. That time we let him, and he did! There's probably a tape of it somewhere.

Osbourne: We had left our manager at that point, and Led Zeppelin wanted to manage us. We didn't want that. We thought it would be . . . degrading to be managed by another band.

I note Don Arden (Sharon Osbourne's father) was Black Sabbath's manager during these sessions. Back in 1963 Don Arden had hired Peter Grant as a UK tour manager for Bo Diddley, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Brian Hyland, Chuck Berry and then (later in the year) Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and The Animals. So there was a management

connection here as well.

That, and the fact (if not already mentioned) that the Sabs, Plant and Bonham were all Brummies. :beer:

• 5 years later...

Archived