The DNA Remains The Same

I had some guy in another topic say I would not be seeing Led Zeppelin if they toured. I assume he thinks Janson doesn't count or something. Well I disagree with him. If Led Zep toured with Janson I think it would be Led Zeppelin. I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about that. I believe The Song Remains The Same.

In the Led Zeppelin movie, The Song Remains The Same, Jason can be seen playing a scaled-down drum kit for a very proud father, John Bonham, the legendary drummer of Led Zeppelin. Jason was five years old.

The Song Remains The Same is what I say,

BD

P.S. I had a dream. Crazy dream - That Led Zeppelin would tour one more time.

I had some guy in another topic say I would not be seeing Led Zeppelin if they toured. I assume he thinks Janson doesn't count or something. Well I disagree with him. If Led Zep toured with Janson I think it would be Led Zeppelin. I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about that. I believe The Song Remains The Same.

While the song might be the same, I guess names change.

:rolleyes:

In the excellent David Fricke interview with Robert Plant, Robert says that Jason is a more contemporary drummer and more efficient (or something like that).. I was listening to a god awful 77 show the other day (Seattle, I'll wager) and Jonesy was really off on a tangent with his grand piano on No Quarter, even during Jimmy's solos. Terrible frequency spread, all highs and middle.

And it went on and on and on.. Fast forward to 1998 P/P No Quarter is tight, the keyboard sound is mellow and has a nice vibrato, kinda Floydsy, the guitar solos are in sections again and have peaks and valleys and don't wear out their welcome. Excellent. Between Jason Bonhams' more efficient approach and the matured taste of the 96-98 period, I think this line up is going to avoid the pitfalls

of excess. If they are getting hand crafted, specially made instruments, I think that bodes well for a few additional shows.

Amen.

BD

Well, there are two ways to look at it. I would think most real zeppelin fans could agree that Led Zeppelin died along with John Bonham. It had a 12 year run and it was amazing. Many bands are able to replace a member and continue to tour as that abnd and sometimes even be better. What makes zeppelin so special is that each member was important to the sound and without them, the band would cease to exist.

Sure, they can tour and even call it zeppelin and I'll be there with a lump in my throat.... and I might even tell my kids I saw zeppelin, but its not, it can't be.

With that being said, having the son, a drummer who's dedicated his life to drumming in the name of his father is the only logical choice if the band went out as zeppelin.

Well, there are two ways to look at it. I would think most real zeppelin fans could agree that Led Zeppelin died along with John Bonham. It had a 12 year run and it was amazing. Many bands are able to replace a member and continue to tour as that abnd and sometimes even be better. What makes zeppelin so special is that each member was important to the sound and without them, the band would cease to exist.

Sure, they can tour and even call it zeppelin and I'll be there with a lump in my throat.... and I might even tell my kids I saw zeppelin, but its not, it can't be.

With that being said, having the son, a drummer who's dedicated his life to drumming in the name of his father is the only logical choice if the band went out as zeppelin.

In support of your last point.

John Paul Jones remarked, "It was uncanny, Jason had every nuance of his father's approach to the group's music, it was as though we'd played together for years."

BD

In support of your last point.

John Paul Jones remarked, "It was uncanny, Jason had every nuance of his father's approach to the group's music, it was as though we'd played together for years."

BD

Where/when did he say this? Bodes well, indeed.

I said this somewhere else, can't remember where, but... 27 years is a devout enough moment of silence to honor the great John Bonham. That his son has stepped in, and the other three are keeping the name, makes this Led Zeppelin for me.

Where/when did he say this? Bodes well, indeed.

I said this somewhere else, can't remember where, but... 27 years is a devout enough moment of silence to honor the great John Bonham. That his son has stepped in, and the other three are keeping the name, makes this Led Zeppelin for me.

At the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party in 1988. Sold-out Madison Square Garden.

Makes Led Zeppelin to me as well. Jason's father would be proud.

BD

At the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party in 1988. Sold-out Madison Square Garden.

Makes Led Zeppelin to me as well. Jason's father would be proud.

BD

Also found this little quote.

Jimmy Page was the first to fully grasp Jason's potential and, immediately after retuming to London, asked Jason to record an album with him. The Page "Outrider" tour followed in 1988 and Jason's drum solo was acclaimed as a high point in the show.

Got to love it. Here's more from this year:

Plant recalls "a lot of big smiles," wearing one himself. The day was "cathartic and therapeutic. No pressure, no weight." Jones claims he "didn't have any doubts. Someone picked a song. We got through it. And it rocked."

But Bonham's son, Jason, can tell you the exact date and hour Led Zeppelin became a band again, because he was there, taking over for his dad. "They might not know what time it was," he says of the other three, "but I know." For him, it was "a real lump in the throat."

BD

John's spirit lives in Jason. I cant express this enough, but if the band gives him their blessing, then he is the man for the job. This line up will be the best and closest thing to the original we can ask for. And I for one will back Jason and support this band moving forward as LED ZEPPELIN.

Ask yourself this. Would John want a session drummer filling his shoes?

Jason ask no quarter...To build a dream for me and you.....

John's spirit lives in Jason. I cant express this enough, but if the band gives him their blessing, then he is the man for the job. This line up will be the best and closest thing to the original we can ask for. And I for one will back Jason and support this band moving forward as LED ZEPPELIN.

Ask yourself this. Would John want a session drummer filling his shoes?

Jason ask no quarter...To build a dream for me and you.....

I'm with you. I do think he more than fills the shoes. He adds a new flare. LZ in a new tangent in a good way. He might make it more relavent.

BD

I do think he more than fills the shoes.

:o

That's the same as saying Jason Bonham is equal to or even better than his father on

drums! You guys can waterboard me all week long, I'll never agree with this. Talk about

revising history. Has everyone gone nuts?

I think Jason filling his dad's shoes is perfect. When a father dies and someone has had to take over the family--it's usually a son. (per history's grand tradition of leaving things to the son)

Jason's the best choice. John's happy to see his son do this, I'm sure of it. :D

That's the same as saying Jason Bonham is equal to or even better than his father on

drums! You guys can waterboard me all week long, I'll never agree with this. Talk about

Steve,

Who said he is better or "equal" to John?

I simply addressed that if a reunion takes place, I (personal opinion) would rather see Jason fill the shoes of his "Father" than a studio musican or the equivalent.

Out of curiosity, what do you suggest? Are you saying that the band should do a one shot and be done with?

Lets face it, John's spirit lives on. We the fans are a testament to this. But for the sake of a reunion tour, who else do we have that could fill his shoes?

Hats off to Roy Harper.....

I think Jason filling his dad's shoes is perfect. When a father dies and someone has had to take over the family--it's usually a son. (per history's grand tradition of leaving things to the son)

Jason's the best choice. John's happy to see his son do this, I'm sure of it. :D

I agree!

a bit off topic but Jason is coming to Finland next week, with Foreigner, and I'm going to the gig. ´

I echo the sentiment of this thread - what could be better than a son stepping into the shoes of his father after he's passed on? This is Plant, Page, Jones & BONHAM. That was Zep in the 70/80's, and it is Zeppelin today. Here is my rationale:

1) Jason has truly dedicated his life to living in the name of his father. He misses his dad, loves his dad, and was trained to be a drummer by his father.

2) Their is a very recent precedent for this type of replacement having an overwhelming acceptance from the hardcore fanbase - THE WHO! Yes there are many Who fans who say Keith Moon can never be replaced and that the original Who is not what the 2002 - 2007 version is. Well I am a huge Who fan, saw them in the 70's and 80's, and have seen them multiple times in 02/07. Zak Starkey cannot replace the spirit of Keith Moon, but from a technical drumming perspective his performance is beyond outstanding. Moonie played "lead" drums, Zak lays down and outrageously tight rhythm section. The mix with the new Who is outstanding and besides Pete and Roger, Zak is the star of the show.

But here's the main point - Keith Moon never had a son, Zak was his god son. Zak brings out the spirit of Keith Moon to each Who show he plays. And best of all, Keith did train Zak to play the drums. So who would be better to replace Keith in the Who, no one other than Zak. There is an emotional bond to Who fans every time Zak takes the stage. Seeing Zak play is a reminder of how life passes and the human spirit moves on. It is quite different than Kenny Jones or a session drummer.

When Jason Bonham plays his drum solo (or can you imagine Moby Dick) people will be in tears in the audience.

3) Jason is 41 and he has played in Foreigner, UFO and his own band(s) for many years. As he has not had the success of his father his ego is in check and this is truly the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Btw, wasn't Bonzo 38 when he died? Jason is actually older than John! Their is no question that technically and emotionally he can fit the bill.

4) It's what Bonzo would have wanted...

Yes not a session drummer, his son who he loved more than anything. Maintaining his legacy, providing for his family (and his grandchildren), and finding his own success. I have 3 sons, and god forbid something happened to me I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than of my sons following in my footsteps and helping keep my memory alive. People, the media, and the world will be in tears with the emotion of Zep truly re-uniting after 27 years.

5) I actually had a tix for Philly '80 that sadly went unused. Zep is the only major band I've never seen. So yes, they're doing it for me (blushing) and the rest of the fans. It would've been cold hearted or sacri-religious to tour quickly after Bonzo's death. 27 years is a long enough for a tribute. Page is 63, they need to get their butt's on the road and give their fans what we want!

when jimmy, robert and joneie took the stage at live aid 85 with phil collins at the drums it was just a couple of guys doing thier songs for the cause same with the hall of fame now that jason is there well ask yourself this who taught jason to play who was around him in the 70's to influance him could it have been robert ,jimmy , jonesie, oh yea and daddy yes bonham is the a part of led zeppe;in and if they did,nt have him i don,t think we all would be talking about 02 or possibly a tour cause like jimmy said there is no led zeppelin without bonzo well we got bonzo jr next best thing :D

when jimmy, robert and joneie took the stage at live aid 85 with phil collins at the drums it was just a couple of guys doing thier songs for the cause same with the hall of fame now that jason is there well ask yourself this who taught jason to play who was around him in the 70's to influance him could it have been robert ,jimmy , jonesie, oh yea and daddy yes bonham is the a part of led zeppe;in and if they did,nt have him i don,t think we all would be talking about 02 or possibly a tour cause like jimmy said there is no led zeppelin without bonzo well we got bonzo jr next best thing :D

Thanks BD.

Also found this little quote.

Jimmy Page was the first to fully grasp Jason's potential and, immediately after retuming to London, asked Jason to record an album with him. The Page "Outrider" tour followed in 1988 and Jason's drum solo was acclaimed as a high point in the show.

Being simpatico with Page, and vice-versa, is huge.

Here's another topic with a video of JPJ talking about Jason having grown up with Zeppelin more than anyone else.

No. We are sane. And, no water boarding here, no matter how you beg. B)

Bonzo can never be replaced tap for tap, cymbal for cymbal, or bash for bash, but that's no reason the surviving members and his son can't be equal to, or even better than, the original... just, in different ways.

They always pushed each other, didn't they? Who better to push Jason than his dad's mates? They will most likely take more care while doing so, too.

If the whole was more than the sum of it's parts then, it can be again. That possibility is why this is so much more than your run-of-the-mill, let's cash in, nostaligia-fest reunion.

I echo the sentiment of this thread - what could be better than a son stepping into the shoes of his father after he's passed on? This is Plant, Page, Jones & BONHAM. That was Zep in the 70/80's, and it is Zeppelin today.

----------------------------------------------

But that was JOHN Bonham, not JASON.

---------------------------------------------

1) Jason has truly dedicated his life to living in the name of his father. He misses his dad, loves his dad, and was trained to be a drummer by his father.

In his own words, he received minimal instruction.

2) Their is a very recent precedent for this type of replacement having an overwhelming acceptance from the hardcore fanbase - THE WHO! Yes there are many Who fans who say Keith Moon can never be replaced and that the original Who is not what the 2002 - 2007 version is. Well I am a huge Who fan, saw them in the 70's and 80's, and have seen them multiple times in 02/07. Zak Starkey cannot replace the spirit of Keith Moon, but from a technical drumming perspective his performance is beyond outstanding. Moonie played "lead" drums, Zak lays down and outrageously tight rhythm section. The mix with the new Who is outstanding and besides Pete and Roger, Zak is the star of the show.

But here's the main point - Keith Moon never had a son, Zak was his god son. Zak brings out the spirit of Keith Moon to each Who show he plays. And best of all, Keith did train Zak to play the drums. So who would be better to replace Keith in the Who, no one other than Zak. There is an emotional bond to Who fans every time Zak takes the stage. Seeing Zak play is a reminder of how life passes and the human spirit moves on. It is quite different than Kenny Jones or a session drummer.

It's disengenuous for them to tour as The Who. Even the Ox is gone.

When Jason Bonham plays his drum solo (or can you imagine Moby Dick) people will be in tears in the audience.

--------------------------------------------

As a one-off that's great. But night after night?

--------------------------------------------

3) Jason is 41 and he has played in Foreigner, UFO and his own band(s) for many years. As he has not had the success of his father his ego is in check and this is truly the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Btw, wasn't Bonzo 38 when he died? Jason is actually older than John! Their is no question that technically and emotionally he can fit the bill.

Age brings wisdom; it does not bolster drum skills

4) It's what Bonzo would have wanted...

Now you presume to speak for him...

Yes not a session drummer, his son who he loved more than anything. Maintaining his legacy, providing for his family (and his grandchildren), and finding his own success. I have 3 sons, and god forbid something happened to me I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than of my sons following in my footsteps and helping keep my memory alive. People, the media, and the world will be in tears with the emotion of Zep truly re-uniting after 27 years.

You cannot "truly reunite" when one fourth is gone!

5) I actually had a tix for Philly '80 that sadly went unused. Zep is the only major band I've never seen. So yes, they're doing it for me (blushing) and the rest of the fans. It would've been cold hearted or sacri-religious to tour quickly after Bonzo's death. 27 years is a long enough for a tribute. Page is 63, they need to get their butt's on the road and give their fans what we want.

Therein lies your motivation: it's what YOU want, reality be damned.

Those are just my views; I do respect yours.

Bonzo can never be replaced tap for tap, cymbal for cymbal, or bash for bash, but that's no reason the surviving members and his son can't be equal to, or even better than, the original... just, in different ways.

Sorry, I guess I've just missed the boat. None of them can deliver the goods the way they did from 1968-1980. IMHO! :)

Archived