John Bonham's finest moments

caroselambra~

John Bonham was actually my favourite member of Led Zeppelin.

I love the other guys dearly - but Bonzo had the edge for me.

He was without doubt a brilliant musician and a peerless drummer.

I love all of his performances apart from maybe TSRTS Moby Dick.

My all time favourite track which shows him at the peak of his art is Achilles Last Stand.

Does anyone else have a favourite Bonham track? and what makes your favourite so good?

My all time favourite track which shows him at the peak of his art is Achilles Last Stand.

I have to agree on this one... I also really love the drumming on: How Many More Times, Rock & Roll, Whole Lotta Love and When The Levee breaks because these songs really show John's amazing drumming skills, power and his inventive sence of musicality...

all of them

but my favorites are

TSRTS

Achilles

IMTOD

Wanton Song

I'm not a drummer myself, and I totally agree with all the tracks suggested, I love to listen to JB and always compare other musitians to him, only a few get anywhere close in my humble opinion!! there was a show on TV in the UK last year that got Celebrity's to learn an instrument enough to play in a concert, and it says somthing when they get the guy learning drums to jump in at the deep end and play "Rock and Roll"at the Royal Achadamy, I thought it was good anyway, but to the point, a song from Presence " Nobodys Fault but Mine " on the album I love, I know its not quite the same live, but I love to listen and feel the energy in it.??

I'm not a drummer myself, and I totally agree with all the tracks suggested, I love to listen to JB and always compare other musitians to him, only a few get anywhere close in my humble opinion!! there was a show on TV in the UK last year that got Celebrity's to learn an instrument enough to play in a concert, and it says somthing when they get the guy learning drums to jump in at the deep end and play "Rock and Roll"at the Royal Achadamy, I thought it was good anyway, but to the point, a song from Presence " Nobodys Fault but Mine " on the album I love, I know its not quite the same live, but I love to listen and feel the energy in it.??

i adore that song, it's second only to achilles last stand for me.

love the hamonica bit in the middle - and the drumming of course

:thumbsup:

Every track he played on. Period.

Gotta agree with that bonz! But you have to love the Earl's Court DVD IMTOD.... He's virtually expressionless, and he plays that bone crushing number with an ease that is almost otherworldly.

His drum work on the heavier parts of "In My Time of Dying"... wow!!! :drumz:

R B)

Hear, hear definitely!

And also for me...

Wanton Song, Levee, Fool In The Rain, Moby Dick. I also love John's little touches and nuances in Zep tracks. Like Custard Pie, where after the 4th "drop down" He literally drops down the beat. I love that ^_^

Gotta agree with that bonz! But you have to love the Earl's Court DVD IMTOD.... He's virtually expressionless, and he plays that bone crushing number with an ease that is almost otherworldly.

I'm totally on board with that, Zep. Which is why I like everything he played on. What also stands out is Kashmir from Knebworth towards the end! I STILL get chills. PURE emotion!

i don't like *in the light* sounds like he made quite a few mistakes near the end bit

I thought "In The Light" was made up of out takes from the studio and Jimmy put the song together, the band never actualy played the song, so John could never have made any mistakes, "i could be wrong, but i don't think i am".

Regards, Danny

i don't like *in the light* sounds like he made quite a few mistakes near the end bit

I'm not hearing any 'mistakes'. Maybe you're mistaking drum fills for mistakes. The only way it's possible to make a 'mistake' is to play out of time or at the wrong tempo.

I'm not hearing any 'mistakes'. Maybe you're mistaking drum fills for mistakes. The only way it's possible to make a 'mistake' is to play out of time or at the wrong tempo.

...quite near the end, just after robert sings "light, light, light....in the light" sounds like he tries to fill with two bass kicks and messes the timing a bit - he does this twice.

this only goes to prove he is human...hard to believe i know :)

Trust me, he isn't even one of my favourite drummers. All of my favourite drummers are jazz and metal drummers. But I'm certain there aren't any real mistakes at the end of the song. Maybe a drum groove that seems a bit weird, but definitely not a mistake.

Archived