Slade Palagarising Led Zep!

John Bergqvist

I saw a guy in another group back in the mid sixties use a violin bow on a guitar, but for the life of me I cant remember who it was, and it was on "Top of The Pops". Any one help ear/hear/here?

Are we talking Eddie Phillips, here? If so, the band was called The Creation, although he started using a bow on a guitar during his first group Mark Four. He first recorded with the technique in 1966.

RB

Danny - maybe it was The Creation. Here's a (mimed) clip of

I know they were more popular on the continent than in Britain. An additional Led Zep connection was singer Kenny Pickett who apparently was a roadie for LZ, at least that's what I read.

Are we talking Eddie Phillips, here? If so, the band was called The Creation, although he started using a bow on a guitar during his first group Mark Four. He first recorded with the technique in 1966.

RB

Well done 'Humbucker' you got it, thanks mate.

Danny - maybe it was The Creation. Here's a (mimed) clip of

I know they were more popular on the continent than in Britain. An additional Led Zep connection was singer Kenny Pickett who apparently was a roadie for LZ, at least that's what I read.

Hi 'Dukey'

Thanks for your input, and Humbucker, but I found the show on You Tube here's the link and the Song was "Making Time" in 1966 on a German show called "Beat Beat Beat". Thanks everyone, Danny

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SgpYRXC8Vaw

"Only" an idea??

In my world, plagiarism will get you tossed out of college for stealing someone else's ideas. That's why I used the term "intellectual theft." The physical manifestations of it don't matter. The idea itself is the important thing, and appropriating somebody else's idea to use as your own is stealing it from them. In many contexts, if you've used the idea first, and it's been successful, theirs becomes worthless.

You're not pretending you invented the letters of the alphabet and demanding credit for them.

And as for music, it's the terminology that's the issue--of course everybody is influenced by previous musicians, just like all writers are influenced by previous writers. But take something written by somebody else and deliberately pretend you wrote it, and demand credit--that's plagiarism. And if the other person had first copyrighted it, it's copyright infringement.

Sounds like Led-Zeppeilin. Don't get me wrong. Zeppelin is my number one favorite band and always will be. I am a die-hard fan. But where did the song dazed and confused come from? It is not Zeppelin's at all. And they have not given any credit to the original artist.

Last time I saw page he was doing DC with the laser bow. He turned Philips in to an all time shlepper with it.

Son, bend over so we can complete this errrr exam.

BTW, it was a joke.

Anyone having issues with bandwidth lately, seems everything just keeps slowing up to a freaking crawl. I think were getting ripped off. I hear overseas people are getting great bandwidth for cheap.

Actually Ronnie Wood I love. You know, I dont know everything, thats of sure. As a matter of fact I could be famous as shit and I said "nahhhhhh."

BUT!

I love people, I love animals and I will accept the title of pseudo rock expert. I am terrified of cameras, that's a fact.

what is a 'kakdaddy?' Is that similar to a mackdaddy?

If a 'mackdaddy' is someone who is 36 with the onstart of baldness, with a liver the size of a raisen, whom's greatest enjoyment in life is watching the elderly fall off donkeys & looks back fondly when the world was ruled by Kaisers.... then yes I would say they are similar.

If a 'mackdaddy' is someone who is 36 with the onstart of baldness, with a liver the size of a raisen, whom's greatest enjoyment in life is watching the elderly fall off donkeys & looks back fondly when the world was ruled by Kaisers.... then yes I would say they are similar.

and all this time i thought a kakdaddy was a pimp love0040.gif

No worries, just curious. Perk up that ear and hold it to the rail...

• 2 weeks later...
'Aquamarine' you are very smart and fought your corner well, and for the most part I agree wholeheartedly with you. And thanks for a good discussion without all the usual insults I have expected from people on here, you are truly civilised.

I'm still gonna call it "plagiarism", as "thieft" conjures up something more sinister to me. Maybe I just dont want to call Jimmy Page a thief. Recently I saw a guy on TV (Davey Graham) play a thing called "She moved through the Bazzar", its was and exact copy of Jimmys "White Summer", only done before Jimmys version, but he copied it from an old Irish song called "She moved through the fair". Jimmy copying Daveys version only made people more aware of Davey and may have made him more money and given him a larger audience.

But I do believe that musicians should credit their work correcty and give credit where credit is due, and pay for it, but I wont be calling them thieves.

Regards, Danny

well white summer was based on graham's song but its not an EXACT copy.. its traditional and page tuned it differently and added different elements to the song to give it a different feel.. thats y he combined bms with white summer cuz bms is based on she moved through the bazzar.. so its all relative.. graham is the influence for stairway intro.. cry me a river.. but he didnt originate that melody either.. its a traditonal song public domain..and he made an arrangement based on the melody..thats not a theif its influence but definitely not plagairism..

Sounds like Led-Zeppeilin. Don't get me wrong. Zeppelin is my number one favorite band and always will be. I am a die-hard fan. But where did the song dazed and confused come from? It is not Zeppelin's at all. And they have not given any credit to the original artist.

95 percent of that song is zeppelin tho.. the title isnt theirs but that bassline i heard someone say has a john entwistle infuence which would mean jake holmes got it from him or vice versa.. so its unclear if holmes even wrote the bassline which jones made 100 times better and deeper sounding.. and that riff is in abunch of songs.. and page owned all the yardbirds song so he could use dazed and say he wrote the entire thing.. they were in a rush to make the first album had only a week to write it and needed money.. should holmes have been given a half credit.. sure .. but holmes didnt write zeppelins version.. thats what im trying to say.. not one bit

Archived