Jimmy/JPJ project?

Rock Action

Here's a short list of JP/JPJ solo songs that have been done over the years.

Liquid Mercury, Emerald Eyes, the soundtrack to Death Wish II..Jimmy Page

Smile Of Your Shadow, Snake Eyes, Grind, Hoediddle..John Paul Jones

See the connection there, anyone? You can't tell me that these two don't have the potential on their own to create a fucking MONSTER. No matter who's on drums, vocals, whatever.

Make an instrumental, I don't give a shit. JUST DO IT.

B)

See the connection there, anyone? You can't tell me that these two don't have the potential on their own to create a fucking MONSTER. No matter who's on drums, vocals, whatever.

B)

Yep, an instrumental is the only way to go, in my opinion.

Yep, an instrumental is the only way to go, in my opinion.

I'm not saying an instrumental is the ONLY way to go. What I AM saying is that these two have the tools to make something incredible beyond all our wildest dreams.

If they choose to have vocals, choose wisely and avoid all these "known" names. But, with the aforementioned tunes named, can you imagine what they can do together? The mind reels at the possibilities...

B)

i'm really with you... im looking forward to see what they come up with, and i'm 100% sure that it will be great.. and i don't care what others say, like most of us, im here for the MUSIC... Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones know what they are doing.

i'm really with you... im looking forward to see what they come up with, and i'm 100% sure that it will be great.. and i don't care what others say, like most of us, im here for the MUSIC... Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones know what they are doing.

Better than anyone else in the business, really. B)

Let's just hope they seize the moment before it's too late.

B)

Yes,yes,yes just do it!! Instrumentals...a little bit of acoustic material, some ass kicking R&R, some killer Jimmy riffs. JPJ JP JB..no vocals.

JPJ likes instrumentals but Jimmy, I don't think ever wanted to go down that direction fulltime (ala Jeff Beck). It's just not part of his master-plan. I think he would be great at it, but I think he fears that people would just not be interested in his music if he didn't have a strong frontman to complete the picture.

B)

I hear ya, JP and JPJ together again with a desire to make new music could be awesome for music fans, especially Zeppelin fans. They no doubt have the ability still, but do they (Jimmy) have the desire to put out a product without a LZ tag on it at this point? My feeling is no. Can and will Jimmy carry on without Robert Plant? I hope he proves me wrong.

In 1994 when Page & Plant were putting out "Unledded", it was not so much that I thought "they"(ahem, Robert) should have invited JPJ along, I was of the school that if Page was going to hook up with only one member of Zep that it should be JPJ. He just has more to offer.

Page unfortunately sold JPJ down the river for the oppurtunity to work with Plant, but anyone with ears can hear what was missing from the Page & Plant projects was Jones, which I think Page begrudgeingly always knew. Would Jones have allowed the music to be so lowkey, one dimensional sounding, & to bring in an outside producer ala "Clarksdale" if it were just him & Jimmy? I dont think so. That was Plant being a dominateing force over Page (Im sure for various reasons), & it showed on how lackluster "Clarksdale" was. Plant & Page may look more delicious on paper to music writers & casual fans, but any fan with knowledge of what Zeppelin was knows that JPJ & Page were the nuts & bolts of that operation.

Throughout these various threads I keep reading about what Jimmy is going to do with the new band & Jimmys new music,etc. Excuse me? I think as far as any new music we hear from Bonham, Jones, & Page, the one whose role will dominate will probaly be JPJ's without question. He sounds on fire, & he's the match that needed to be set under Page's ass for years. Page needs a musician of equal power & understanding for great results. Jones is that man.

I also eat my words about Jason Bonham. Years ago I thought he sucked & was not the man for the job. I then saw him on that VH1 show a few years back & saw how much better he had become. The 02 show removed any doubt. Like his father I hope he's as good a writer as he is a drummer, that would be a bonus.

I could honestly care less if Zep ever reunites again or so & so plays with Plant again. It's not 1971 anymore. Let Plant follow his own muse. Let him Re-record "Tall Cool One" replaceing the Zep samples with "Dueling Banjo" samples if thats what makes him happy & feel relevant.

Page unfortunately sold JPJ down the river for the oppurtunity to work with Plant

True. Page clearly had a 'deal' with Robert. He would be a submissive in the studio and dominant on the tour, especially the '98 one which was as close to a straight Zep set as you'll ever see.

True. Page clearly had a 'deal' with Robert. He would be a submissive in the studio and dominant on the tour, especially the '98 one which was as close to a straight Zep set as you'll ever see.

He did have a "deal" with Robert, that's why in these kind of snipeing "Jimmy vs. Robert" comments I see on other threads I dont have all that much sympathy for Page. He knew who he was dealing with. My feelings on it is as follows: If you take away booze from a drunken horse thief, what's left before you? A horse thief.

For all the rumors about Jimmy selling his soul to the "Devil" in 69' for success, I dont know about that. In 94' through 98', well that's another story.

It's time for uncompromised music to be written & played. Jones & Page have my vote.

In 1994 when Page & Plant were putting out "Unledded", it was not so much that I thought "they"(ahem, Robert) should have invited JPJ along, I was of the school that if Page was going to hook up with only one member of Zep that it should be JPJ. He just has more to offer.

Page unfortunately sold JPJ down the river for the oppurtunity to work with Plant, but anyone with ears can hear what was missing from the Page & Plant projects was Jones, which I think Page begrudgeingly always knew. Would Jones have allowed the music to be so lowkey, one dimensional sounding, & to bring in an outside producer ala "Clarksdale" if it were just him & Jimmy? I dont think so. That was Plant being a dominateing force over Page (Im sure for various reasons), & it showed on how lackluster "Clarksdale" was. Plant & Page may look more delicious on paper to music writers & casual fans, but any fan with knowledge of what Zeppelin was knows that JPJ & Page were the nuts & bolts of that operation.

Throughout these various threads I keep reading about what Jimmy is going to do with the new band & Jimmys new music,etc. Excuse me? I think as far as any new music we hear from Bonham, Jones, & Page, the one whose role will dominate will probaly be JPJ's without question. He sounds on fire, & he's the match that needed to be set under Page's ass for years. Page needs a musician of equal power & understanding for great results. Jones is that man.

I also eat my words about Jason Bonham. Years ago I thought he sucked & was not the man for the job. I then saw him on that VH1 show a few years back & saw how much better he had become. The 02 show removed any doubt. Like his father I hope he's as good a writer as he is a drummer, that would be a bonus.

I could honestly care less if Zep ever reunites again or so & so plays with Plant again. It's not 1971 anymore. Let Plant follow his own muse. Let him Re-record "Tall Cool One" replacing the Zep samples with "Dueling Banjo" samples if thats what makes him happy & feel relevant.

There's no denying JPJs talent and contributions to Zep's success but I guess I come from the school of thought that each of them brought something special to the group and it would never have been what it was if one of them wasn't there. So I don't equate any of them as having more to offer.

My understanding (and I very well could be mistaken) was MTV offered Robert the opportunity to record an Unplugged episode. He felt he couldn't have done it without having Page on board and thought it would be a chance to work with his buddy again. If Jonesy was brought in, it would have been misconstrued as a Zep reunion even if it was billed Page/Plant/Jones which I'm sure they didn't want.

I don't think anything was missing from the Unledded songs. They weren't meant to sound like the originals. That was part of the whole idea of the project. It's not saying that JPJ's contributions aren't evident in the originals, but I wouldn't say without him the songs are therefore not good. Same with any of them. It's about not expecting them to be what they were because that just won't be.

Clarksdale may not have been produced to the best it could have been, but again, I don't see how Robert dominated the album. I see it as both of them but that's just how I hear it.

But I will argue that Page and Jones were the brains behind Zep and that Robert and Bonzo's contributions were more good on paper. That simply isn't true and I'm speaking as a musician and a fan.

Just my two pence.

There's no denying JPJs talent and contributions to Zep's success but I guess I come from the school of thought that each of them brought something special to the group and it would never have been what it was if one of them wasn't there. So I don't equate any of them as having more to offer.

My understanding (and I very well could be mistaken) was MTV offered Robert the opportunity to record an Unplugged episode. He felt he couldn't have done it without having Page on board and thought it would be a chance to work with his buddy again. If Jonesy was brought in, it would have been misconstrued as a Zep reunion even if it was billed Page/Plant/Jones which I'm sure they didn't want.

I don't think anything was missing from the Unledded songs. They weren't meant to sound like the originals. That was part of the whole idea of the project. It's not saying that JPJ's contributions aren't evident in the originals, but I wouldn't say without him the songs are therefore not good. Same with any of them. It's about not expecting them to be what they were because that just won't be.

Clarksdale may not have been produced to the best it could have been, but again, I don't see how Robert dominated the album. I see it as both of them but that's just how I hear it.

But I will argue that Page and Jones were the brains behind Zep and that Robert and Bonzo's contributions were more good on paper. That simply isn't true and I'm speaking as a musician and a fan.

Just my two pence.

Of course all of them each contributed to the "group" & in that equation I agree with you. However, as for someone for Page to team up with in 94', if between RP & JPJ, I'd say that JPJ had much more to offer than Plant. Despite the billing of their names, Page was more of a sideman with Plant. Not unlike Rod Stewarts "Unplugged" featuring Ron Wood.

Throughout their "second" partnership Plant called the shots. His venue, his band, & his choice of direction. Call it for what it is. I dont think that was good for either of them. I dont think that would have been the case if Page had hooked with JPJ instead. I dont think JPJ would be too concerned if something sounded too much like Zep or the constant second guessing/distancing to be different for being difference sake. I think JPJ would just want to write & perform naturally without self imposed restrictions that Plant seems to have in some cases in regards to his own solo career & particularly anything Zep related. Cant prove it, but hopefully the results will be in soon with JPJ & Pages' mutual project.

You are correct about the MTV thing... mostly. Plant was approached by MTV. He approached Page. Page agreed. Now things turn a bit. Page suggests Jones. Plant says no. It will just be the two of them. Page agrees.

I dont think anyone outside of Robert Plant had a problem with Jones joining in except maybe bassist Charlie Jones(Plants son-in-law) & whomever played keyboards, I dont blame the both of them if they did. Its a good gig to get.

Page/Plant was no more miscontrued as a Zep reunion than Jones/Page/Plant would have been. I did not sit through that show to intently watch "Yallah".

The "Unledded" songs werent meant to sound like the originals because in part they couldnt. Two members/musicians/writers down, how could it? The songs performances werent bad at all & I wasnt expecting Zep. I also wasnt expecting Robert Plant featuring Jimmy Page either, but thats what we got. Once again, that was Page's choice.

As far as "Clarksdale", heh. Plants band again, his choice of producer, jumps off the tour,etc. It's clear who is calling the shots, on whims at times. There is no true partnership there. It shows.

I never said Page & Jones were the brains of Zep, but the nuts & bolts. I also never said that Plant & Bonham only looked good on paper or even implied that. Page & Jones were the framework on those first 2 albums which Plant & Bonham added onto, making that a full machine as a whole as they progressed.

Anyway, THANK GOODNESS FOR JPJ IS PLAYING WITH PAGE AGAIN IS ALL I CAN SAY. :D YEESH...

For all of those who want to speak up for however I may have put down Charlie Jones the line starts...

I agree that page, jones and jason should record an instrumental album, could be awesome and would be a solution to the finding a singer problem. it would be cool too if they played like a third of material off page and jones records, a third new material and a third zeppelin. this way it wouldnt rely too heavily on just zeppelin history. I thought the way page broke up the firm,outrider,solo stuff, along with zeppelin, on his outrider tour was really well done.

I agree that page, jones and jason should record an instrumental album, could be awesome and would be a solution to the finding a singer problem. it would be cool too if they played like a third of material off page and jones records, a third new material and a third zeppelin. this way it wouldnt rely too heavily on just zeppelin history. I thought the way page broke up the firm,outrider,solo stuff, along with zeppelin, on his outrider tour was really well done.

I'd like them doing the whole spectrum of their careers too. That's what I liked about the Outrider tour.

Along with the new material & Zep tunes I would love for them to perform together Zep songs that could have been like "Who's To Blame", "Midnight Moonlight", & "Shake My Tree", while cherry picking songs throughout their respective careers like "Train Kept A Rollin'/Stroll On", "Think About It", "Spaghetti Junction", "Bass 'N' Drums", "Emerald Eyes", etc.

That's another reason I dont think it's important for them to get a "name" singer or to for them concern themselves with getting a singer who sounds like a young Robert Plant. It would be great if they could get a good singer who could go through "Train Kept A Rollin'" into "Who's To Blame" then into "In The Evening". That's what I'm looking forward to, or at least along those lines that's what I hope that they pursue.

There are alot of possiblities with all the solo material, plus it would promote those albums as well. I dont know how well -zooma sold, but every fan of heavy music should hear that record. I would love to hear jimmy soloing over a song like zooma. They could do songs off outrider, which would be cool to hear w/ jason, being he was involved with that record.

It would really make for an interesting show. The outrider tour and jpj's zooma tour were great and hey, if they played at smaller venues, that would be really cool too.

When it comes to the zeppelin material, black dog, wll, levee, imtod, achilles...any of the big songs done instrumental, would ofcourse make the show.

I'm more interested what page and jones would produce now a days, who knows...it could actually be a record and tour without a singer, that does amazingly well.

The only Zep song I really hope they do is "No Quarter", preferabley as an instrumental closer to the original demos. Other than that everything else is gravy.

Well, one more song. Jonesy doing "A Foggy Day In Vietnam". Ok not really, but that would be a real left turn.

Of course all of them each contributed to the "group" & in that equation I agree with you. However, as for someone for Page to team up with in 94', if between RP & JPJ, I'd say that JPJ had much more to offer than Plant. Despite the billing of their names, Page was more of a sideman with Plant. Not unlike Rod Stewarts "Unplugged" featuring Ron Wood.

Throughout their "second" partnership Plant called the shots. His venue, his band, & his choice of direction. Call it for what it is. I dont think that was good for either of them. I dont think that would have been the case if Page had hooked with JPJ instead. I dont think JPJ would be too concerned if something sounded too much like Zep or the constant second guessing/distancing to be different for being difference sake. I think JPJ would just want to write & perform naturally without self imposed restrictions that Plant seems to have in some cases in regards to his own solo career & particularly anything Zep related. Cant prove it, but hopefully the results will be in soon with JPJ & Pages' mutual project.

You are correct about the MTV thing... mostly. Plant was approached by MTV. He approached Page. Page agreed. Now things turn a bit. Page suggests Jones. Plant says no. It will just be the two of them. Page agrees.

I dont think anyone outside of Robert Plant had a problem with Jones joining in except maybe bassist Charlie Jones(Plants son-in-law) & whomever played keyboards, I dont blame the both of them if they did. Its a good gig to get.

Page/Plant was no more miscontrued as a Zep reunion than Jones/Page/Plant would have been. I did not sit through that show to intently watch "Yallah".

The "Unledded" songs werent meant to sound like the originals because in part they couldnt. Two members/musicians/writers down, how could it? The songs performances werent bad at all & I wasnt expecting Zep. I also wasnt expecting Robert Plant featuring Jimmy Page either, but thats what we got. Once again, that was Page's choice.

As far as "Clarksdale", heh. Plants band again, his choice of producer, jumps off the tour,etc. It's clear who is calling the shots, on whims at times. There is no true partnership there. It shows.

I never said Page & Jones were the brains of Zep, but the nuts & bolts. I also never said that Plant & Bonham only looked good on paper or even implied that. Page & Jones were the framework on those first 2 albums which Plant & Bonham added onto, making that a full machine as a whole as they progressed.

Anyway, THANK GOODNESS FOR JPJ IS PLAYING WITH PAGE AGAIN IS ALL I CAN SAY. :D YEESH...

For all of those who want to speak up for however I may have put down Charlie Jones the line starts...

We'll have to agree to disagree :beer:

Archived