In My Time Of Dying..

Rock Action

Interesting. I was just listening to Humble Pie's "Live At The Whiskey" from late 1969. Towards the end of "I Walk On Gilded Splinters", what do I hear?

"in my time of dying

don't want nobody to moan

all I want for you to do

is take my body home

so I can die easy....."

Too bad Steve Marriott isn't around either. Now there would have been an interesting possibility.

I knew Zep's song was basically a cover. But it was cool to hear an earlier version of it, by someone who'd easily give Robert some real competition.

Im a fan of Steve Marriott with the the Small Faces but I plead ignorance when it comes to Humble Pie. Ive always heard of them & their reputation, particularly on other threads here. What album(s)would be a good starting point with them?

Rockin' The Fillmore and Smokin' would be good starting points. Great albums

Well I guess I know what my next purchases are. Thanks all! :)

Enjoy!

And if you have some change left over, get the Hot and Nasty Anthology. It's kick ass too! They do a cover of C'mon Everybody and the Beatles' "Rain". It's kinda hard to find.

And another important live gem: "KBFH Presents: Humble Pie In Concert". This is from Winterland in SF, 1973. All in all, it blows "Rockin' The Fillmore" into the dust. If you dig the Pie YOU HAVE TO GET THIS.

Aw, dude! You beat me to it. Just thought of that one and was gonna mention it as well.

dylan combined the 'jesus make up my dying bed' with a version by josh white that incorporated the "in my time of dying" motiff. you'll find that zeppelin followed the white/dylan blueprint lyrically. as to the sonic blast-off of bonham, jones, and page....well, something's just are....

dylan-in my time of dying...

josh white-1933

There's been talk that Zep's music on this bears some resemblance to the version released by a band called Fear Itself in 1969.

I've been trying to track down a copy to compare but haven't found it yet (I'm not devoting a lot of time to it - far more important things to do!)

There's been talk that Zep's music on this bears some resemblance to the version released by a band called Fear Itself in 1969.

I've been trying to track down a copy to compare but haven't found it yet (I'm not devoting a lot of time to it - far more important things to do!)

Here is Fear Itself's version, very psychedelic, almost like how Zep may have approached the song in 1969... I was unaware of this version until 'huw' mentioned it. Anyway judge for yourself, the link is below

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J9LL9JXE

B)

Thanks for finding that!

Hmmm - listening to it now. There's nothing there that really resembles Zep's version is there?

Standard psychadelic wig-out, hippy-trippy stuff. Very 1969.

Ok - kill that myth: Zep's version doesn't borrow from this at all.

Since I'm listening to the DVD soundtrack and In My Time of Dying just played, I'll make this thread my first post.

I must admit though, as I type it's already gone to Trampled Underfoot, which is exactly what Robert Plant would do to Steve Marriott if they sung together. Steve has a great voice but he was a little guy. Robert would tower over him. :D

Interesting. I was just listening to Humble Pie's "Live At The Whiskey" from late 1969. Towards the end of "I Walk On Gilded Splinters", what do I hear?

"in my time of dying

all I want for you to do

is take my body home

so I can die easy....."

Too bad Steve Marriott isn't around either. Now there would have been an interesting possibility.

I knew Zep's song was basically a cover. But it was cool to hear an earlier version of it, by someone who'd easily give Robert some real competition.

How's it going "Rock Action" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I remember that song well. I was also aware that ZEPPELIN copied some of the lyrics from "I Walk On Gilded Splinders." Isn't it weird how similar Steve Marriot and Robert Plant's voices sound? Its just too bad that Peter Frampton never truly got the recognition as a guitarist that he truly deserved. I love the "Frampton Comes Alive" album. You have never truly heard this album unless you have heard it in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) Gold ULTRADISC CD series. It sounds incredible. ROCK ON!

"in my time of dying

all I want for you to do

is take my body home

so I can die easy....."

well those lyrics were used by many people before humble pie.. those are traditional lyrics and most of the songs lyrics plant wrote like st gabriel let me blow your horn.. and such like that.. bob dylan did a version so i hate when people say its a cover.. pages riffs are orginal and its more a trad song than a cover.. no one can really claim the origin of that song.. just like black mountain side was based on traditional riffs.. its been done so many times u cant relate it to one person.. im sure u know that as a zep fan im just saying.. humble pie didnt invent that by any stretch of the imagination .. and marriott was an influence on plant but plants voice was his voice.. im tired of hearing he copied marriott.. marriott im sure had a singer he based his voice on or loved enough to sound similar to.. marriott was a beast but plant imop was better and could extend his vocal chords(early days of his career) more than anyone else could.. not even close hes like a damn banshee people have said which i think is quite fitting

Archived