Vinyl or CD

ledzep45

Vinyl or CD  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Vinyl or CD

• Vinyl
    • CD

Most of my vinyl is vintage and in mint condition so its packed away..

But I do have some dandys laying about..

As for music, cds have always been my prime source of music. Own about 700 or so and don't plan to stop until I own everything I want..basically until I can't buy a compact disc anymore.

Easy, vinyl.

I love the packaging, the sound difference, everything.

People argue that cd's are so much more convient. Fine, take your convience. However, I am not a casual listener of music. If I want to listen to music that is what I intended to do, therefore I want it to sound the best that it possibly can.

I prefer vinyl because I find the pacaging is nicer, sometimes the quality is as good as if not better than cd and I like putting the needle on the record :P

How's it going all? In my opinion, I prefer Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) Vinyl/LP's and Gold CD's to ANYTHING out there today. ROCK ON!

CDs have a wider dynamic range, clearer sound, and can store more, plus they don't get worn down as quickly.

It's been my experience that the CD, which was originally touted as "indestructible" is much more delicate than vinyl. Yes, they may hold up better as far as wear but they also scratch much more easily. With proper care vinyl can last a lifetime.

As far as fidelity, great strides have been made as far as CDs go (just ask one of their biggest opponents, Neil Young). Personally, when in the comfort of my own home I do enjoy spinning my old records but CDs are the only way to go when traveling (unless you've got the hookup like Lawrence Welk above).

I still love vinyl. CDs are definitely more convenient and in some respects, the sound quality is better but I love the imperfections you get with a record. Stuff I've now got on cd I had on vinyl, I find strange to not hear the scratches and pops I was so accustomed to.

I voted vinyl.

I know, it is scratchy, copious, old- fashioned...

But I just think it is more of a concious act to put the shiny black disc out of the wonderful old envelope, carefully lay it on the turntable, start the motor and very softly put the needle on it.

Almost magical...

I got an own record player for christmas!

I voted vinyl.

I know, it is scratchy, copious, old- fashioned...

But I just think it is more of a concious act to put the shiny black disc out of the wonderful old envelope, carefully lay it on the turntable, start the motor and very softly put the needle on it.

Almost magical...

Kind of like this?

Depends on what you're listening to.

You wouldn't listen to, say, George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album on CD, that's definately a vinyl. Anything remotely touched by Phil Spector is a vinyl job

I know exactly what you're saying but this expanded edition of All Things Must Pass on CD doesn't sound bad at all:

AllThingsColorCover.jpg

I know exactly what you're saying but this expanded edition of All Things Must Pass on CD doesn't sound bad at all:

AllThingsColorCover.jpg

I bought that expanded package on vinyl, and it's incredible, the sheer quality of the vinyl alone was worth the price, and the whole package was great, a big box, big book, different sleeves for each record, I mean you would never download another piece of music if they packaged everything that well

I bought that expanded package on vinyl, and it's incredible, the sheer quality of the vinyl alone was worth the price, and the whole package was great, a big box, big book, different sleeves for each record, I mean you would never download another piece of music if they packaged everything that well

I'm proud to say I still haven't downloaded any music (illegally or otherwise) even though the technology to do so is right here at my fingertips. Not that I think anything is inherently the matter with it except it is making the use of a compressed format (mp3s) an acceptable norm and there is usually no artwork (though I know that isn't always the case). I imagine fully accepting digital downloads will be like accepting compact discs for me. I never bought any CDs until vinyl was no longer available at any of my local record stores back in the late 80s. Once CDs are gone for good I will have no fucking choice but to go the digital download route.

I'm proud to say I still haven't downloaded any music (illegally or otherwise) even though the technology to do so is right here at my fingertips. Not that I think anything is inherently the matter with it except it is making the use of a compressed format (mp3s) an acceptable norm and there is usually no artwork (though I know that isn't always the case). I imagine fully accepting digital downloads will be like accepting compact discs for me. I never bought any CDs until vinyl was no longer available at any of my local record stores back in the late 80s. Once CDs are gone for good I will have no fucking choice but to go the digital download route.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm at the opposite end of the pole...I actually bought my very first Led Zep CD the other day, everything of theirs that I already owned was "permanently borrowed" from friends.

Vinyl - the sound is heavier

How can a sound be "heavier"?

Also, most new albums (popular ones) on CDs are badly mastered, so it's a rare occasion to hear a good dynamic rock album on CD. Simply because if one tries to master a vinyl too loud the needle will skip off. This (the fact the needle will skip) has no bearing on sound quality, in fact it's all to do with how it's recorded and mastered.

Analogue sound is a different matter, CDs can be recorded with analogue equipment and then put on a digital medium and it will have that warm sound, assuming it's played back through a decent soundsystem.

I was very concerned about the recent reissue of R.E.M.'s debut album Murmur especially since the "remastered" tunes on the recent I.R.S. era compilation And I Feel Fine didn't sound as much remastered as merely cranked up using compression to make them sound louder. Fortunately the remastered version of Murmur did not fall prey to this overused (and abused) industry tactic and actually sounds very fucking good.

Archived