Led Zeppelin 40 years

Zanadu

Wasn't Led Zeppelin, the debut album, released on 12 January 1969? Happy anniversary Led Zeppelin (John Bonham wherever you are), and thank you! :birthday::thanku:

Yes, it's the 12th of January, 1969.

I've already e-mailed the DJ locally to let them know.

I mentioned how, back in the day, that radio stations used to always play these songs together:

"I Can't Quit You Baby" with "How Many More Times"

and

"You Shook Me" with "Dazed And Confused"

The Wiki article on LZ I has this trivia:

"How Many More Times" was listed as 3:30 on the record sleeve deliberately by Jimmy Page in order to trick radio stations into playing the song.

40 Years Gone...

Thank you Led Zeppelin. There's no words to describe how much you have influenced me.

I know people will think it's too much, but you've been almost like a family for me. 40 years have passed and still your music, your gift to us, still inspires millions of ears, both young or aged around the world.

Bonzo's last breath came long before I was born, but thanks to God, (and my math teacher) your music reached my ears... And it shall never leave.

Here's to another 40 years of John Bonham, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.

And people, don't get anxious over the remaining members reuniting or not, just be glad we have what we have... They've done more than enough to music, and their legacy will always remain as one of the greatest of all time.

Led Zeppelin, isn't going anywhere ;)

The release date seems kind of odd. I checked a 1969 calendar and the 12th is a Sunday. I guess it means probably that week for the release. I'm sure radio stations and stores didn't have it until at least Monday the 13th.

In the U.S. albums are available in stores on a Tuesday. I think the U.K is on Mondays.

:birthday:

:stereo:

The release date seems kind of odd. I checked a 1969 calendar and the 12th is a Sunday. I guess it means probably that week for the release. I'm sure radio stations and stores didn't have it until at least Monday the 13th.

In the U.S. albums are available in stores on a Tuesday. I think the U.K is on Mondays.

:birthday:

:stereo:

Yes, 12 January 1969 was a Sunday :book:. I don't know how the album release happened in practice, but according to Jason Draper it first came out in the USA, while UK for instance had to wait until March. Supposedly Led Zeppelin was initially distributed to some radio stations and music journalists, and then to shops for people to buy.

It's nice to see the radio stations acknowledging this fact too. The "classic rock" station here has been having an extended Led Zeppelin Weekend playing their songs 4x an hour for 4 days straight in honor of the 1st album, and Jimmy's birthday.

It's nice to see the radio stations acknowledging this fact too. The "classic rock" station here has been having an extended Led Zeppelin Weekend playing their songs 4x an hour for 4 days straight in honor of the 1st album, and Jimmy's birthday.

Yeah same here. Q104.3 New York's classic rock radio station spent the whole weekend -and today of course- playing LZ classics. They also played a couple of live versions which I can't tell where they go them from...

:)

EDIT: they also declare themselves, "New York's Led Zeppelin Station". That gets big points from me B)

http://www.q1043.com/main.html

January 12, 1969 really was the beginning of an era.

Hearing and seeing LZ I for the first time (not long after it was released, in the basement room where my friend’s high-school-aged brothers lived) and, via LZI, falling in love with the band members and their music, was a prelude to the years during which some of the most exciting and memorable experiences of my life took place. Although my friends and I cut our teeth on the Beatles and the Stones, LZ I was like nothing we had heard before (and I remember we thought that the band members, especially Jimmy and Robert, looked like no one we’d ever seen before :wub: ). We spent hours listening to the album, staring at the album cover (especially the Zep guys’ photo), and trying to decipher and write down, not just the lyrics, but also things like “Jimmy strums guitar hard”, “Robert moans”, etc. It would be nearly a year before I would have my own copy of LZI, nearly two years before I would see the band “in real life”, and nearly three years before I would see LZ in concert. Although I was still in elementary school when it was released, all these years later, LZI remains one of my top three favorite albums – on many days, it is number one.

I actually totally forgot that it was the 40th Anniversary today untill I walked into a coffee shop while working today. The place was full of young people and I kinda looked out of place. While waiting in line I could hear the beginning of Dazed And Confused being played on the radio then some kid beside me said to his buddy. " yeah man, it's a Zeppelin anniversary " the gal behind the counter turned up the volume, and everyone started groovin'. 40 yrs old and it's still turning people on B)

Archived