greatest live moments

audioservant

Hello guys,

I start this thread to talk about some of the greatest moments of zep onstage. As I am to young to have seen them live I can only refer to bootlegs, but of course the older ones are supposed to share their experiences :D

My favourite so far is the Loui Loui encore of the LA show 6-25-72 (burn like a candle):

It just catches the spirit of the night so well...

Also great, when the audience sang the "remember laughter" part of sth at the 02...

A lot, even impossible to count, but some of my favorites are:

-When they drop in a cover of For What It's Worth during Communication Breakdown on the Live on Blueberry Hill show.

-When they drop into a cover of Pennies from Heaven in Dazed and Confused in Osaka, September 29, 1971.

-The awesome epic solos performed live for Thank You, the solo On the Blueberry Hill Bootleg being the standout.

- 21/6/77, The thunder of The Song Remains The Same and the inhuman drumming.

-When the crowd cheers for an encore at Knebworth.

-The string of encores at the LA 25/6/72 show.

-The Unbelievable show at The Seattle Center Coliseum in June 19 1972.

-January 26th 1969 Boston Tea Party nuff' said....

-When they drop in a cover of For What It's Worth during Communication Breakdown on the Live on Blueberry Hill show.

-When they drop into a cover of Pennies from Heaven in Dazed and Confused in Osaka, September 29, 1971.

-The awesome epic solos performed live for Thank You, the solo On the Blueberry Hill Bootleg being the standout.

i agree with the for what its worth cover plus....

August 4th 1979 Achilles Last Stand

October 10th 1972 Stand By Me cover

many more...

This is hard and I dont want to just pick my fav songs.

- 1972/Earl's Court Acoustic Set

- JPJ's Piano jam (3-5-75, 3-27-75 are good examples) before Pages solo in No Quarter.

+Or just a good No Quarter for that matter

- Thank You Solo (I prefer 8-31-71)

- The vocals/mannerisms as heard/seen on Royal Albert Hall footage

- Any great medley (HMMT's, WLL, D&C, sometimes CB)

+ As Long As I Have You (April 69)

- The drumming on 06-21-77

- The Ocean from TSRTS, most joy/energy in a short song Ive ever heard.

Brilliant choices!!!! :D

What about

Whole lotta love 6.3.73 Discracefully great

No quarter 21.7.73 (my fave ever)

Georgia on my mind- Salt lake city 73 (just so different and a treat to hear!)

Immigrant song-Bradford 73 Never heard a kick drum like it!!

Gallows pole- Ipswich 71 Rocking horse shit rare

Communication breakdown-25.5.75- smell the ganga!

The legendary show on the Jan. 26th in Boston, 1969. (4 hrs!?)

The epic performance, yet sh1tty recording of, the 1969 Bath Festival.

The crowd chanting for Bonzo on the Sept. 29th in Osaka, 1971. (I wonder where he really was?)

Robert switching the lyrics of Dazed and Confused on the Sept. 19th in New York, 1970 in order to get the people in the front to sit down: "If ya don't sit down on the floor no-ones gonna be able t'see behiind! I think its tiime ya realized, everbody's come for the good tiiime... so sit down, sit down.., do what I say!... I'm gonna love you people, eacch and eeevery.., evvery.., everry daaay!"

The fu[kin sinister version of Since I've Been Loving You on Sept. 4th in L.A. 1970 (Add the whole rest of the concert for that matter)

The 4-show string in San Francisco, 1969 (includes the first-ever live performance of Whole Lotta Love (w/out theremin!)).

Robert: "Has anyone got a Les Paul?... No?"

Someone in crowd: "Jeff Doees!"

Robert: "Jeff who?!... Tell 'em t'bring it here"

Or pretty much any other time Plant played with the crowd.

Brilliant choices!!!! :D

Thanks for the compliment!

The epic performance, yet sh1tty recording of, the 1969 Bath Festival.

That was in 1970.

Really, my choices were made based on recordings most people have, there are tons of more epic, glorious moments, here are more that come to mind:

April 30, 1977 Pontiac Silverdome: The recording is very bad but it captures the amazing crowd, hearing this you know they are at one of their pinnacles, amazing. Hear the crowd go nuts at the beginning, or when Stairway hits, a glorious, epic show.

June 21st, 1977 LA Forum: I always loved this plantation the way he says it like an honest guy after such a show, seemingly humble to everything LA was to the band:

Achillies Last Stand, at least we thought. We seem to be going through mic stands at an amazing rare. Showco's ah, plastic mic stands incorporated. It's very nice to see some friends just arrive from England, Mr. Phil Carson. A man who's played bass in JApan with Dusty Springfield a long time ago. You see, we know all the oldies. Well there's no doubt you picked up by the attmosphere at least on stage tonight, it's like sort of the highpoint of the whole tour to be back here, and that's, maybe after six nights it won't be so easy to say that, but at the moment, we'd like to ah, we give you this song. (Stairway Kicks In)
That was a really moving point for me when I first heard it.

Summer 1970, Blueberry Hill and September 19th: Both are epic, brilliant shows, but a thing that capitalizes it IMO is Thank You, the epic solo, the heightening tension, the wild drumming, and the great Organ holding it all together just makes it seem soaring.

And This, a picture says a thousand words:

1157140320_f.jpg

Archived