8/31/71 Orlando

ZepFanatic

Listening to this now...great show. Robert is in great voice. Jimmy is in a particularly playful mood, goofing around with riffs and stuff in between every song. I have the SBD/AUD mix...sounds great. Anyone else here digging this show?

Not at the moment but it is a great one. Too bad about the WLL cut

Just listened to that whole show the other day. I have that sbd/aud mix too. I put it on because another poster was saying how great Thank You is on it and so I thought I'd check it out. He was right, Thank You is great. The whole show is really good,can't beat '71, especially in good quality

Just listened to that whole show the other day. I have that sbd/aud mix too. I put it on because another poster was saying how great Thank You is on it and so I thought I'd check it out. He was right, Thank You is great. The whole show is really good,can't beat '71, especially in good quality

I remember that guy...Thank You is great, but I like the version from Southampton '73 better...

Been years since I pulled out this dandy... in my top 25 Zeppelin boots for sure.

Jimmy is just in a great mood...some of the riffs he goofs around with between songs could have been songs in their own right!

And Jonesy messing about on the organ during the Thermin/noise section of WLL is really cool!

The only recordings from 1971 that beat it sound quality-wise are 1971-04-01 BBC and 1971-09-29 Osaka (in my collection anyways)...

Plus, there aren't any other good shows from Florida aside from the 1969-02-14 Miami show..,

All the more reason to love it.

I think the reason I got this one was for that comment about this version of Thank You, as well, and I have now carried on the role of letting everyone know about it.

Overall I was very impressed by this show, especially Dazed and Confused (bonzo's drumming is crazy) and Organ Solo -> Thank You.

I'm not sure how or why I never noticed how good Thank You live was as I know I must have heard it on Blueberry Hill or something. Either way I specifically was looking forward to it on this show so that may be a factor. Its probably the stand out hidden gem in live Zep, for me that is, as based on how this song is studio I was not expecting this.

I prefer this (and blueberry hill #2) Thank You over some of the later, even longer ones because the tone of the guitar is different, its is more raw/distorted on this version and I think it fits the solo better.

I might be biased because I went into listening to this show with high expectations of Thank You and was blown away as it was the first time I heard it like this (and noticed it).

BUT! I do think if there was a poll that this version would end up #1.

I think the reason I got this one was for that comment about this version of Thank You, as well, and I have now carried on the role of letting everyone know about it.

Overall I was very impressed by this show, especially Dazed and Confused (bonzo's drumming is crazy) and Organ Solo -> Thank You.

I'm not sure how or why I never noticed how good Thank You live was as I know I must have heard it on Blueberry Hill or something. Either way I specifically was looking forward to it on this show so that may be a factor. Its probably the stand out hidden gem in live Zep, for me that is, as based on how this song is studio I was not expecting this.

I prefer this (and blueberry hill #2) Thank You over some of the later, even longer ones because the tone of the guitar is different, its is more raw/distorted on this version and I think it fits the solo better.

I might be biased because I went into listening to this show with high expectations of Thank You and was blown away as it was the first time I heard it like this (and noticed it).

BUT! I do think if there was a poll that this version would end up #1.

The solo on the BBC Sessions version of Thank You is killer as well... the song was bad ass live, period.

If only it was like that on the studio version...

The solo on the BBC Sessions version of Thank You is killer as well... the song was bad ass live, period.

Yeah the thread on Thank You BBC was where I originally saw a reply saying they preferred Orlando. And its also a very good/similar version.

Yeah on the album it's weak...live it was always really good. The LA Forum 6/25/72 is another great version...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a shame that Celebration Day was not part of the soundboard, from the part of the beginning that is there it sounded like it was going to awesome!! It still gives me chills to hear Bonzo count them in at the beginning of Immigrant Song to start the show!!

How does the Toronto '71 soundboard compare to Orlando?

Toronto SBD has an amazing Stairway, biggest problem is that it's incomplete. But it's a solid performance.

To clarify your point, Stairway to Heaven is complete, but the soundboard source only has about 6 songs on it.

Still a must have though for the quality of the performances.

Don't have the Orlando show yet for some reason. Must get my hands on it. Always loved the BBC version of Thank You. Other great version were LA 6/25/72, LA 6/3/73 and also LA from Blueberry Hill. Great solo and jam by Jimmy.

Archived