Black Beauty

Conneyfogle

Got this in a google alert....

I have a Gibson guitar that used to belong to Jimmy Page, what's it worth?

It's a very old, black Gibson Les Paul. My uncle gave it to me before he passed away last spring. I asked my mom were he got it from and she said she seen him come home with it right after a Led Zeppelin concert. My dad later told me that it used to belong to Jimmy Page, so i'm guessing it was a gift from him to my uncle. Any Idea what this guitar is worth? I'm not a big Zeppelin fan so i'm fixing to post it up on ebay.

Got this in a google alert....

I have a Gibson guitar that used to belong to Jimmy Page, what's it worth?

It's a very old, black Gibson Les Paul. My uncle gave it to me before he passed away last spring. I asked my mom were he got it from and she said she seen him come home with it right after a Led Zeppelin concert. My dad later told me that it used to belong to Jimmy Page, so i'm guessing it was a gift from him to my uncle. Any Idea what this guitar is worth? I'm not a big Zeppelin fan so i'm fixing to post it up on ebay.

The Bigsby vibrato arm has a serial number of 06130. That would be one way to identify the guitar.

What is more disturbing and sad is why the poster is attempting to sell it on eBay and isn't returning it to Jimmy Page.

The Bigsby vibrato arm has a serial number of 06130. That would be one way to identify the guitar.

What is more disturbing and sad is why the poster is attempting to sell it on eBay and isn't returning it to Jimmy Page.

I suggested he be a good chap and give it back

Interesting, the timeline is about right and if the person resides in Canada it is possible it's the real thing.

I'll keep an open mind and if the bona fide serial no. is listed or not, in the description then we'll know.

It seems the proposed seller is blissfully unaware it was actually stolen.

Does the Statute of Limitations apply here?

If not then Jimmy would have a serious claim on it?

Ebay surely will attract a lot of curious hitters.

Any idea when it's going up?

Another mystery unfolds!

Am i right in thinking that Jimmy would't give his Black Beauty away, and that it was actually stolen? I think Jimmy would love it back though. I remember reading somewhere where he bought it, it was off a band member where Jimmy was at the gig, and the thread that i read the guy had the reciept signed off Jimmy, i think he paid something like £185 for it in 1962. i know it was stolen sometime between sept 3-4 in 1971 from an airport

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so this is what we have

The original BB had a black fret board... it started as this guitar pictured here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom

Jimmy added the strike plate... and it was stolen in 1970 and never recovered. ... He (Jimmy) says that if this is IT? He no longer wants it back as ... well his exact words are a little rough...

Paraphrased? 'been {climaxed after auto eroticism} by a person who makes him ashamed to be of the same species.

oh well so if he doesn't want it back then I'll have it if no-one else wants it

:elvis2:

This is absolutely NOT Jimmy Page's lost Black Beauty.

Jimmy had 3 additional 2-way toggle switches added in March 1970 for coil splitting. This eBay Black Beauty doesn't have those or doesn't even have the holes to suggest that they were once there. I'd report this to eBay if I could actually find the listing.

I can't believe this is actually true.

Jimmy's lost Black Beauty found after 40 years? And Jimmy says he doesn't want it back?

This is surreal.

Ignore my previous but 1 post, he does want it back

just to clarify, there was a slight mix up with a photo of a dodgy looking man with some guitars, which Jimmy was informed was the owner of the BB, hence why he didnt want it back as he thought the man may have ..ahem ...done things with it

Of course the picture had nothing to do with it, he now really does want it back, and is anticipating it going to auction so he can step in and intercept it.

I have tracked down the owner, and forward details to Jimmy, lets hope he does get it back.. then he can play it when he gets up off his harris and starts touring

:D

Jimmy is very pissed with the whole thing, lets hope it gets returned to the rightful owner.... watch this space

This is absolutely NOT Jimmy Page's lost Black Beauty.

Jimmy had 3 additional 2-way toggle switches added in March 1970 for coil splitting. This eBay Black Beauty doesn't have those or doesn't even have the holes to suggest that they were once there. I'd report this to eBay if I could actually find the listing.

It's not on ebay, the owner (the man in possesion of it) has had 2nd thoughts after he realised it is stolen

ps. the link I posted to wikipedia was sent from Jimmy himself, but as you rightly say Dazedjeffy, not his but similar...

This is quite amazing if this really does up being the actual Black Beauty that was stolen from him so long ago. We'll see. Should be interesting.

Move this to the News forum! This is the biggest news in a while and very exciting! I knew it would show up in my lifetime if not Jimmy's. What do you do with a stolen guitar? Hide it in your basement for 40 years?

Move this to the News forum! This is the biggest news in a while and very exciting! I knew it would show up in my lifetime if not Jimmy's. What do you do with a stolen guitar? Hide it in your basement for 40 years?

Well lets see if it does raise it's head first, these things tend to end up in disappointing conclusions

Can I just add that I don't know Jimmy personally (although he knows of me apparently) but I am good friends with someone who is very close to him, so any correspondence I post is just what info I get, which I share with everyone..

I note that another friend of Jimmy's has been in touch on the same subject, and Jimmy has instructed him to 'Get it' so there are a few trying to get to the bottom of the mystery, I shall post more asap

Archived