Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

I have to agree that I too liked it in some of the songs although I wish he had not used it in Trampled Under Foot and just played straight. I thought his soloing in that tune was kinda lame.......othere than that I thought he played really great.

But JPJ really rocked Trampled, and that comes from someone who's rarely impressed with bass or keyboard - I'm a guitar-person :)

But JPJ really rocked Trampled, and that comes from someone who's rarely impressed with bass or keyboard - I'm a guitar-person :)

...and bass pedals too!.....to be able to play keyboards and bass pedals at the same time is pretty amazing.....I can hardlay ride a bike anymore lol...

I have to agree that I too liked it in some of the songs although I wish he had not used it in Trampled Under Foot and just played straight. I thought his soloing in that tune was kinda lame.......othere than that I thought he played really great.

Page is in his mid 60's during this show. What do you expect from him???

You know, many people fail to realize his inactivity after Bonham's death took a toll on his playing. His heroin use didn't help either. Page was never the same after 75'.

Page is in his mid 60's during this show. What do you expect from him???

You know, many people fail to realize his inactivity after Bonham's death took a toll on his playing. His heroin use didn't help either. Page was never the same after 75'.

whatever.......

Yesterday was 10 December where I'm at. Last night I celebrated the 5th anniversary of the O2 concert by opening a bottle of zinfandel, a box of Utz chocolate covered pretzels, setting my surround sound to "concert" mode and cranking it to 8 and watching the concert disc of "Celebration Day".

Life does not not get any better.......................

Thank you Jason, John Paul, Jimmy and Robert for the early Christmas present!

What Jimmy says before Rock and roll? Are the best audience of the universe? Sorry, it says very quickly for my english.

He says, "Hey thanks so much, it's really been an amazing night for all of us, thank you very much".......cheers Rich

The Movie was epic. They played a great set including For Your Life never done live in public before and great versions of In My Time Of Dying,Kashmir,Black Dog and so on. It sucked that the theater didn't crank the volume up and from what I hear that was the case in theaters. Jason Bonham played his ass off, Jimmy Page was amazing as usual,John Paul Jones was doing his thing and Robert Plant looked a little weathered but thats what years of rock and roll will do to you...He sang those songs with all he had. I am glad I went to see it for sure.

Review-wise, I don't have anything else to add in the way of praise or critique. I do know I appreciate WLL more now than I did when I saw it on YouTube and initially in theatrical release of Celebration Day. No doubt I have more respect and appreciation for the amount of effort it must have taken getting ready for the O2 and then what it took across the board to perform so superbly.

After enjoying the BluRay of Celebration Day for four weeks now I want to share a few personal thoughts, some personal impressions...

Do you remember watching TSRTS in theaters? Can you recall the feelings and sentiment you experienced when Bron-Yr-Aur was playing underneath the visual of the limo ride to MSG? ..and then seeing the doves fly?

For the first time since then I had the same feelings and it was during Dazed and Confused at about the 6 minute mark onward. It caught me by surprise and I really had no idea what I was remembering and feeling. Took me a minute to sort it out and then it was clear.

Anyone else have this or similar happen?

Hello, I hope everybody is having a great christmas

Just want to give a few impressions after viewing the concert on BluRay yesterday (looking forward to listen to the Cds over headphones tonight and watching zhe rehearsal DVD next week or so).

Great picture and sound quality (very 'present'). The concert itself, well it just made me happy in a way that no other music can, can't express it any different. I saw and heared the bootlegs but (of course) no comparison to the BluRay.

I liked the camera work to, especially the close ups to the instruments and the capturing of their non-verbal interaction on stage made it very intimate

The editing, well I can understand the cutting of the feedback in the first song but would have loved to see Jason singing I can't quit you and Roberts introduction to Kashmir (51 state). It also would have been great to catch some pre-concert atmosphere, before the introduction starts (thats what I like especially about the bootleg)

All in all a great BluRay which is the only consolation for not having been there that evening :)

i knew and expected them to be great. But I tell you, it was like setting the clock back some thirty some years. Plant can still hit the high notes and Page, well, Page is Page and always will be. Jason probably dreamed of this a thousand times but probably never really thought he would get this chance to sit where his great father Bonzo once sat. I think Robert had the most difficult part in a way. Having to sing like that some thrity years later. He passed with flying colors. The set list was a little surprising to me and a real treat in a way. They did not play Ramble On when I saw them live in 77. And of course they did not play Good tmes Bad Times either. Ass kicking event to say the least. Ass kicking.

i knew and expected them to be great. But I tell you, it was like setting the clock back some thirty some years. Plant can still hit the high notes and Page, well, Page is Page and always will be. Jason probably dreamed of this a thousand times but probably never really thought he would get this chance to sit where his great father Bonzo once sat. I think Robert had the most difficult part in a way. Having to sing like that some thrity years later. He passed with flying colors. The set list was a little surprising to me and a real treat in a way. They did not play Ramble On when I saw them live in 77. And of course they did not play Good tmes Bad Times either. Ass kicking event to say the least. Ass kicking.

Ramble On was a surprise as well. Me and others on this forum thought the title of the release should have been played. More energy and way more upbeat. They didn't play Ramble On in '73 either.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

My cousin, a long time Zep fan, was at my place this evening... 3 Bottles of wine and the O2 dvd tonight!

His first time seeing it.....he was mesmerized and it wasn't the wine.

I love watching it any and every time......The O2 just re-affirms how vital JPJ was to the Zeps. He was a monster motha-phucking musician!

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought it was also a way for everyone to see that Led Zeppelin still have it, but I think Robert just felt he didn't want to push his luck with more shows and something going wrong with his voice. I'm sure they wanted to do what Cream did and do at least one MSG show.

But you know there's tapes of them going through every single song and whittling it down, coming up with an interesting and nicely done setlist.

Songs I was surprised that weren't included: Wanton Song, Going to California, Heartbreaker, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, When the Levee Breaks.

A concert film is a different experience from going to a concert, and to make it entertaining on a screen can be difficult. Led Zeppelin did pull it off. The pacing was just right.

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin, a long time Zep fan, was at my place this evening... 3 Bottles of wine and the O2 dvd tonight!

His first time seeing it.....he was mesmerized and it wasn't the wine.

Isn't it fun sharing something you love (like music) with friends and/or relatives?

just re-affirms how vital JPJ was to the Zeps. He was a monster motha-phucking musician!

Indeed! And still is!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share a story with you folks. I'm not to sure where to put it, so here it goes. I'm calibrating my subwoofer (to you audiophiles it's the sub crawl) which is to find the spot in my listening area where the bass is tight and deep. So I'm using Kashmir from Celebraton Day since the bass is consistant. My 20 year old daughter comes home and after a while she said "what's the name of this song again" I said Kashmir. "Oh yeah, I love that song, it's so cool"!!! Then she sits on the couch and listens to Stairway To Heaven right through to Kasmir! My better half told me later that our daughter said that Led Zeppelin is really something. You can tell they are having a good time together and PASSIONATE about there music! Also when we were rewatching the Kennedy Center Awards during the Zep tribute she asked "they have their own jet!!??!! I replied that yes, when your the number 3 (at that time) selling band of all time you can buy your own jet. Now this is a 20 year old that loves dance music, and several years ago her favorite band was Panic! At The Disco (we saw them 3 times and the last time we saw them they played for 40 mins, about 2 Zep songs!). I just wanted to share a story that Led Zeppelin touched someone from the younger generation.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Just sat down with my dad (73 yrs old) and had him watch Black Dog and Kashmir form the O2. He knows the Zeps from my entire life pretty much and is somewhat familiar with the tunes. Anyway, he thought they played really great and was really impressed with Plant's signing.....ciao Fishy

Archived