Rare John Bonham Footage w/ Paul McCartney backstage 1976

the emoticon has settled more than this matter for me.

Me too. It settles that if Sam says someone is John Bonham, it's John Bonham, and you would be foolish to go on the record asserting otherwise. Edited by Dandu

Given the confirmed date, it begs the question are we positive that is John Bonham?

It is quite possible that that is not John Bonham in the clip, but rather Howie Casey, one of the horn players on that 1976 Wings Over America tour.

post-19994-0-16973800-1369918127.jpg

^^^

Same here...I had never seen that photo(Ringo looks very bizarre), so thanks for posting. :)

:rolleyes:

wings_los_angeles_Bonham76.jpg

HARVEY KUBERNIK! For those who don't know, Harvey Kubernik has been around the Los Angeles music scene forever. I guarantee that if you have any sort of decent record collection, you will find the name Harvey Kubernik among your records. He has written some very good books on the music scene from his days as a producer and rock journalist. I highly recommend reading his "Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and the Music of Laurel Canyon", co-written with recent Hall of Fame inductee Lou Adler(aka the guy in the hat who sits with Jack Nicholson at Laker games) and an introduction by the late Ray Manzarek. Also worth getting is his book on the Monterey Pop Festival, "A Perfect Haze" and his book of interviews with Ray Manzarek, Grace Slick and many others, "This Is Rebel Music".

Anyway, not that you needed to post additional confirmation Sam(I should have known better), but thanks for that blast from the past.

There's no harm in making sure. Pardon us for just asking questions. Like him or not, Steve is usually accurate with his dates, and because the video was blurry, it made it even more difficult to ascertain. Obviously, as per the Kubernik item above, Bonzo was in LA in June 1976, and SAJ can update his archives.

No harm done.

There's no harm in making sure. Pardon us for just asking questions. Like him or not, Steve is usually accurate with his dates, and because the video was blurry, it made it even more difficult to ascertain. Obviously, as per the Kubernik item above, Bonzo was in LA in June 1976, and SAJ can update his archives.

No harm done.

There is indeed no harm in making sure. To my eyes there wasn't a scintilla of doubt that it was Bonzo when I first saw the footage, so I just found it amusing that others needed to confirm this via a date. As soon as he laughed it was a 100% Bonzo.

I enjoyed watching this thread progress and indeed see no harm in scrutiny to the benefit of accuracy.

I will note that it seems Bonham consistently cut his hair shorter when Zeppelin was not on the road, growing it out just prior to tours commencing. In his 1980 "interview" someone in the crowd comments his hair is too short to which he replies "Rubbish!". Seems he felt he had an image to uphold.

This was very nostalgic; thanks, Sam.

I'm wondering if all of the footage was from the same era. Many of the audience members interviewed are wearing the oversize eyeglasses that became popular in the early to mid-80s...in '76, aviator wire frames were the most popular...

There is indeed no harm in making sure. To my eyes there wasn't a scintilla of doubt that it was Bonzo when I first saw the footage, so I just found it amusing that others needed to confirm this via a date. As soon as he laughed it was a 100% Bonzo.

Left hand in pocket, right hand around a beer I thought yeah that's Bonzo. Good to see the clip.

This was very nostalgic; thanks, Sam.

I'm wondering if all of the footage was from the same era. Many of the audience members interviewed are wearing the oversize eyeglasses that became popular in the early to mid-80s...in '76, aviator wire frames were the most popular...

Yes, all that footage was taken from the 1976 tour, mostly from the LA Forum but also other venues like Madison Square Garden. All the glasses worn by people in the clip were popular in 1976. I don't recall aviators being any more popular in Southern California than Ray-Ban Wayfarers or Vuarnets or any other sunglasses.

I love the girl wearing the Rolling Stones Metamorphosis shirt.

In the new Mojo that came out yesterday, Paul talks about how he got the idea to use the lasers for this tour from the Earls Court shows. He said he also expected Robert (or "Planty" as Paul calls him here) to be sliced up by the end of the show because he only knew them from when Goldfinger tries to slice James Bond.

I love the first song ("You Gave Me the Answer") and his dedication to Fred Astaire. Wings Over America is not an album I know well, so thanks again for this Sam.

Edited by aen27

I appreciate the confirmation, but the emoticon has settled more than this matter for me.

Good god, I don't know HOW Sam has put up with you for so long, you are such an asshole. Authority on EVERYTHING. You're one reason i never come in here and the only reason i signed in to tell you what an ass you are. Love you Sam x

and yes fondly remembering 73 in LA :toast:

see y'all

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...