Live vs Studio: Which one do you prefer?

thebeatlesrock63

I have always thought the studio version of pretty much every song sounds restrained. Compare Kashmir, Dazed and Confused, Trampled Underfoot or In My Time of Dying to their live counterparts, all sound a bit restrained and are not nearly as powerful or fantastic. This could just be me but I have always found their live performances to be better, what about you?

I usually listen to the studio stuff because it's much easier for me to find something to listen to. I have so many live shows it's difficult to just pick one. I probably prefer live shows though for the same reason you mentioned, much less restrained and more improvised in some areas.

It depends on the song. I prefer the live version of Immigrant Song the band performed during the early 1970's since it includes a guitar solo that isn't included on the studio version. OTOH, I prefer the studio version of Whole Lotta Love.

I like the live stuff between 1969 & 1973 - I never really cared for the "As Long as I have You" stuff of the first tour. And I really like when they started to incorporate the medleys during WLL. Apart from the live stuff during this period I love the in-studio outtakes/rehearsal stuff from LZIII & IV. The When the Levee Breaks outtake is INSANE!

:peace:

I love Led Zeppelin live. If it weren't for the unofficial live material, I doubt I'd even be here. The studio stuff is good to hear on the radio now and again, but the live stuff is just tops for me, especially anything from '75 to '80.

I have always thought the studio version of pretty much every song sounds restrained. Compare Kashmir, Dazed and Confused, Trampled Underfoot or In My Time of Dying to their live counterparts, all sound a bit restrained and are not nearly as powerful or fantastic. This could just be me but I have always found their live performances to be better, what about you?

LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

There hasn't been any new studio stuff since 1979. I've heard it all so many many times. Live is it for me: there are still dozens of shows I havent ever heard and the live "energy" is so much what Zeppelin is about. I love to hear them dancing on the edge of disaster while creating Led Zeppelin magic! Live it is!

A friend is bringing his new Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers and sub to my house today, guess what we (the whole neighborhood) are going to listen to!

Depends, some of the studio stuff I listen to sound way better live because they incorporate more stuff into it to make it sound better. In Zeppelin's case, I'd pick live, they know how to make their songs sound good live. Especially when they incorporate other songs or just add jams into them. Unless it's JPJ's vocals substituting Sandy Denny's vocals, haha.

Archived