Zeppelin Haters and Rolling Stones and Fans

I happen to consider my self a casual fan of the Stones. I like The Who a tad more and of course I'm all day with Zeppelin and The Beatles.

I've noticed on various archived blogs and current forums that I always find on threads, Rolling Stones fans who just flat out attempt to trash Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

They don't just give a view of why they prefer the Stones or why they aren't as into Zep or the Beatles as others may be. They insult them as if they are garbage.

I know fans of all bands and artists have these types. But in my experiences, Stones fans seem to be winning when it comes to a fan base who refuses to appreciate other legendary bands.

Any thoughts? Do you guys agree or have you noticed fans of other bands who are just as bad?

I have got news for you: There isn't a soul who likes every band in existence. There are always going to be fans of one band who don't like another band, and in a pique of insecurity, attempt to trash that band at every opportunity. That's just the way it is...whether it is a Rolling Stones fan trashing Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd fan trashing the Stones or Beatles fan trashing the Doors or Led Zeppelin fan trashing the Who. It is ultimately inconsequential and not worth wasting time worrying about. Who cares?

Do you decide what band you listen to because of what some anonymous internet fan base says? That's why I don't understand your phrase "Stones fans seem to be winning". Winning what exactly? Does what some ignorant people say on the internet negate all of Led Zeppelin's achievements? Will someone retroactively invalidate Led Zeppelin's album sales and concert attendance records just because the Rolling Stones fans pitch a fit? Will the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame boot Led Zeppelin out of the Hall? As far as I am concerned, a Stones fan who can't also find room to appreciate Led Zeppelin or the Beatles is LOSING...big time. The same with a Led Zeppelin fan that cannot appreciate the Stones or the Who or the Beatles.

I have got news for you: There isn't a soul who likes every band in existence. There are always going to be fans of one band who don't like another band, and in a pique of insecurity, attempt to trash that band at every opportunity. That's just the way it is...whether it is a Rolling Stones fan trashing Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd fan trashing the Stones or Beatles fan trashing the Doors or Led Zeppelin fan trashing the Who. It is ultimately inconsequential and not worth wasting time worrying about. Who cares?

Do you decide what band you listen to because of what some anonymous internet fan base says? That's why I don't understand your phrase "Stones fans seem to be winning". Winning what exactly? Does what some ignorant people say on the internet negate all of Led Zeppelin's achievements? Will someone retroactively invalidate Led Zeppelin's album sales and concert attendance records just because the Rolling Stones fans pitch a fit? Will the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame boot Led Zeppelin out of the Hall? As far as I am concerned, a Stones fan who can't also find room to appreciate Led Zeppelin or the Beatles is LOSING...big time. The same with a Led Zeppelin fan that cannot appreciate the Stones or the Who or the Beatles.

When I said "Winning" I didn't mean they are succeeding, I meant in the battle of fans who trash other bands, the Stones fans seem to do it more. It was sarcasm. As in they are winning when it comes to bitching more than others.

When I said "Winning" I didn't mean they are succeeding, I meant in the battle of fans who trash other bands, the Stones fans seem to do it more. It was sarcasm. As in they are winning when it comes to bitching more than others.

There are plenty of Zeppelin fans do the same damn thing.. Trust me..

When I was a kid many moons ago, I was more annoying about Zeppelin being "the best" than your most fanatical Stones fan. I argued with a girlfriend so much about who was better Zeppelin or Aerosmith that we broke up... And I loved Aerosmith.. still do....

Thankfully I've grown up and don't think along those lines anymore. Couldn't be bothered..

There's already a lengthy thread in progress on this topic. The search function will reveal it.

Amen to that SAJ! As with many of the other recently created threads....

Amen to that SAJ! As with many of the other recently created threads....

Believe it or not I use the search bar quite frequently but the results don't seem to show anything similar to my questions. However, I have noticed by just scrolling through topics on various forums, I have found better results than with the search bar.

Believe it or not I use the search bar quite frequently but the results don't seem to show anything similar to my questions. However, I have noticed by just scrolling through topics on various forums, I have found better results than with the search bar.

I feel ya...i use the search all the time with little results as well... And the way i see it even if your threads are repeats they still result in us discussing led zeppelin which is the point here i believe

I happen to consider my self a casual fan of the Stones. I like The Who a tad more and of course I'm all day with Zeppelin and The Beatles.

I've noticed on various archived blogs and current forums that I always find on threads, Rolling Stones fans who just flat out attempt to trash Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

They don't just give a view of why they prefer the Stones or why they aren't as into Zep or the Beatles as others may be. They insult them as if they are garbage.

I know fans of all bands and artists have these types. But in my experiences, Stones fans seem to be winning when it comes to a fan base who refuses to appreciate other legendary bands.

Any thoughts? Do you guys agree or have you noticed fans of other bands who are just as bad?

Multiple personalities have started these threads multiple times.It becomes tiring seeing them appear ad nauseum, spruiking the same theme albeit worded differently and looking to divide and cause disagreement.A new member such as you appears and picks more than a few topics to open implying a real love and some knowledge for LZ and then eventually it comes around to this.

Your reply telling me how wrong I am or choosing to ignore this and/or feigning ignorance + giving your view on me in...3...2....1.....

Alright.. Another angle that has been covered more than once in this forum... The Rolling Stones were arguably 2nd biggest band of the 60s.. There's no denying they were in The Beatles shadow ... number 2 to the Fab Four..

The 70s roll around, The Beatles break up and Bam.. they're second banana to you know who... Yes, the Stones had the media in their back pockets like so many nickels and dimes..(gf1 reference) .. But Led Zeppelin far outsold them ... Their concerts drew more people and their albums sold much bigger numbers.

So diehard Stones fans have an axe to grind and who really cares... ?

They're an amazing band and that should be enough.

As far as you creating so many threads .. I don't really care but, there's so much already here.. Use the search engine..

It's not rocket scientry as SAJ just demonstrated. When older threads about the same topic are added to, they bring out the information that will answer the question being posed, usually. That's all....

I don't care if people hate Led Zeppelin. The same as I don't care if people hate anything else I like, such as Starbucks, pizza, or reading books. You're allowed to like or dislike whatever or whomever you want, and if Led Zeppelin is utter shite to you, so be it. I may not like some group or artist you like.

Spending energy being annoyed at other music fans for not falling over LZ's feet just seems wasteful, IMO.

I apologize for question if it came across as inappropriate. I was probably just venting more than anything. :) I'll chill back for a bit.

I get all sides of this discussion, but I will say that I really dig your enthusiasm, even if some of the thread topics are mundane. A dead board serves nobody, and I would rather be engaged. Having said that, some of your topics could be researched a bit better as they are redundant. Others are good with me. Maybe apply a filter to your propensity for starting threads, and make sure that the ones you do start are fresh. Don't go changing though. Fans are fans, and you are clearly an enthusiastic one. Good for you. Zeppelin lives through the appreciation of their fans.

Well what is interesting is that although Page and Richards are/were friends, Richards has stated a few times he just doesn't "get"

Zeppelin. I can't account for the fan feud. But there is one huge difference between Zep and the Sones. Although both bands

have ventured into many different styles, the Stones have a pretty strong R&B core, while of course Zep are loosely much more

blues based. You really are talking apples and oranges here.

And arguably Richards is a more advanced rhythm player. I'm a guitarist, trust me, some things that Richards plays that sound

totally easy have all sorts of subtle but noticeable deviations that are very tricky to figure out. And a lot of that comes from all

the R&B stuff he figured out. And he doesn't fuck up live, either. Of course Page is still my favorite.

I get all sides of this discussion, but I will say that I really dig your enthusiasm, even if some of the thread topics are mundane. A dead board serves nobody, and I would rather be engaged. Having said that, some of your topics could be researched a bit better as they are redundant. Others are good with me. Maybe apply a filter to your propensity for starting threads, and make sure that the ones you do start are fresh. Don't go changing though. Fans are fans, and you are clearly an enthusiastic one. Good for you. Zeppelin lives through the appreciation of their fans.

Thanks, I agree with your points. To be honest, I'm only working part time right now so that's where a lot of my free time comes from to think about this stuff. I find it more interesting to get input from real fans, than just critics or casual fans. But like I said, I can take it easy a bit more too. There were a few searches I did where I commented on them and then I realized that a recent comment reactivates that thread for members to see the most recent post.

Thanks, I agree with your points. To be honest, I'm only working part time right now so that's where a lot of my free time comes from to think about this stuff. I find it more interesting to get input from real fans, than just critics or casual fans. But like I said, I can take it easy a bit more too. There were a few searches I did where I commented on them and then I realized that a recent comment reactivates that thread for members to see the most recent post.

This board is for everyone, including you. Enjoy.

Sometimes it's hard to read iorr message board, being a LZ fan without getting a little bit angry but it was discussed in the other thread.

Did you read Keith Richards' comments in Uncut magazine, where he described Led Zeppelin as "a manufactured band"?

-What was a manufactured band?

Led Zeppelin

-Really?

"...They were professionally put together."

-How can it be professionally put together? The way that it came together was so organic that that really surprises me. I thought he was quite
an intuitive person, really. The only thing I've heard before that has ever reached my ears about Keith and Led Zeppelin was that he liked
music but he really didn't enjoy Robert's singing. Well that's just a matter of taste really, whether you do or you don't. But I've never heard him
being quite so scathing, and that's quite interesting because I've actually played with Keith in the past and I've had some good times with him,
so I don't really understand what that's all about really. That's one of those things that's a bit a bit confrontational just to see whether I'll rise to
the bait, but I don't.

quote taken from Dean Goodman's 2013 interview with Jimmy Page

:blink::huh:

^ Keith talking out of his ass as usual..Zeppelin had a strong management and label support. That doesn't make them a manufactured band. Two of the members were unknown..and one was mostly a behind the scenes studio ace.. Dumb comment.

Yeah for some odd reason Richards just has a stick up his ass regarding Zep. Again the Stones are musically so different in

aim, approach, and influences to Zep. It is ludicrous. I mean Elton John and Billy Joel are both singer-songwriters(okay, BERNIE

TAUPIN)) and pianists, but I have never heard any serious discussions about who is greater. Apples and oranges.

What would be funny would be to have a fan slug out between whose better, the Stones or Pink Floyd ?? I'm sure there would be

some who would consider this argument worthwhile.

Can I stick up for Bonzo. I do not agree with Mr Richards opinion on his drumming. Yes he had innate power but also impeccable timing and feel. As for the comment about front men, yes they have the ability to draw the crowd in but all seem to have specific influences both vocally and visually. You can IMHO tell the who was influenced by Chuck Berry and who by the likes of Gene Vincent, personally I like LZ the best and my admiration has grown over the years. I do not hate their contemporaries but the alchemy they had still sounds potent even today.

I remember these battles over music in high school. I am 52 now and my feeling is what other people think about the music u like doesn't matter. I loved the stuff Robert did in Nashville and that's not always popular here but then I realized that doesn't matter. It is not like the Stones fans can erase LZ from our lives. Never liked anything about Richards never will... But he has his fans too. I listn to everything from Sinatra to Nirvana I realized at the Alison Krauss/ Robert concert when someone yelled out "where's Stairway?" that people are pretty set in their ways but I don't have to bend to popular or more vocal opinions. In short I wouldn't worry about what people say... Life really is too short.

Yeah, excellent comment, don't worry about what other people say. Music is basically about a emotional connection and technical

arguments often lead to needlessly heated arguments. You like it or you don't.

Archived