After 3/3/75. . What's next?

Bozoso73

We all waited with bated breath, like kids at Christmas, for the Fort Worth 75 show… So what's next on the docket? it seems to me that there are still plenty of soundboards but I'm only speculating… Any ideas Zep heads? 

Don't know if the next one will be '75 or '77, but as far as '75 goes, my bet for the next one is the 1st San Diego show.  I also don't think there are many more boards remaining from this particular ("revolution") source, 3 or 4 more from '75, maybe 3 from '77.  Obviously there could be other sources with other shows, which would be great of course, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It will probably be a while, but I'd love to hear them in my home state on 5/31/77. Bonzo's Birthday Volume 2 or something.

This is the show I wanna hear more than any other. All signs point to this being a solid gig. We really shouldnt be having this discussion yet though as it probably wont be for a year or more til the next one is announced.

Hi Sue and thanks for your comment :-) it would be amazing to find out where the source for these recordings is coming from  ( some people point to JP ) but Will they really make us wait another year? I'm not too sure from what the soundboard recording release date was last time and we obviously got Fort Worth last week but a full year? For as little money as EV SD could be making off of 500 copies in different forms you would think they would come out a little more often. .

Isn't there still a soundboard for Earl's Court May 17, 1975 coming from Tarantura?

As far as soundboards released by Empress Valley the last soundboard release was in September 2014, which was Fort Worth 5/22/1977.

I'm pretty sure we are due to get a soundboard from 1969-1972 to follow up with Orlando '71 anytime now though... The next will probably be New York 2/7/1975 or something silly like that though.

It will probably be a while, but I'd love to hear them in my home state on 5/31/77. Bonzo's Birthday Volume 2 or something.

This is the show I wanna hear more than any other. All signs point to this being a solid gig. We really shouldnt be having this discussion yet though as it probably wont be for a year or more til the next one is announced.

I'll third that sentiment, but for me any of the "missing seven" 1977 shows would suffice!

I'd love to see something from January 1975, although I suspect we'd have had it by now if there was anything. 22nd in Chicago preferably! The early set list would make a January release more interesting and presumably lucrative. Fort Worth is a great show and I'm happy and grateful it's appeared, but it is more of the same. For 1975, I'd imagine we'll see more from March, including hopefully 21st at some point. Maybe an earlier MSG one from Feb 75, and possibly the LA shows, although the Forum seems less leaky in terms of Zep SBDs than some other venues for some reason.

1977 is a little harder to predict, but I'd guess there's a few more to come there.

Pre 1975, I'd say forget it, when was the last SBD from 69-73 released? my personal plea would be for more from August 71, but unless Jimmy (or his executor more likely) opens the vaults, we're never going to hear it. Much as I'm attracted to the idea that Jimmy is behind the soundboard revolution, I think the evidence points firmly against that.

. Much as I'm attracted to the idea that Jimmy is behind the soundboard revolution, I think the evidence points firmly against that.

What evidence? Page was accused in court in the bootleg case that his friend Ross Halfin was getting things from Jimmy and supplying them to Japan, acting as his "conduit".  For things in the public record, that is the only piece of "evidence" out there.

As much as it could be completely wrong, I would put more faith in that than the out of nowhere claims that "Soundboards cost $10,000, so EV has to save up enough money to buy the next one", "They've only got from XXX date to XXX date", "They've hit the bottom of the barrel, so there are no more left", "They come from former Showco employees", or "a couple of guys in Japan who run a record store are behind it".  No evidence at all exists for those theories.

What evidence? Page was accused in court in the bootleg case that his friend Ross Halfin was getting things from Jimmy and supplying them to Japan, acting as his "conduit".  For things in the public record, that is the only piece of "evidence" out there.

As much as it could be completely wrong, I would put more faith in that than the out of nowhere claims that "Soundboards cost $10,000, so EV has to save up enough money to buy the next one", "They've only got from XXX date to XXX date", "They've hit the bottom of the barrel, so there are no more left", "They come from former Showco employees", or "a couple of guys in Japan who run a record store are behind it".  No evidence at all exists for those theories.

Pluribus. .who was accusing jimmy/Ross of this?? Is there somewhere to read about the court case. .it must be an interesting read

@Pluribus

Ultimately, the Page-as-suspected-leaker-thesis simply throws the question back a level.  Saying that the particular shows that have been released - again, from a very specific range of dates for '75 and '77 - are the ones he favors the most for distribution, is question-begging.  Why these, and not some others?  Is Baton Rouge (for which a well-known, excellent audience recording already circulates) really that much better than Landover?  Is Landover so good to wait until late in the game?  Maybe Page really does have these preferences, but the point is, you could say that about ANY pattern of releases, so it explains nothing.  The simpler (and thus [usually], preferable) explanation is that the leaker has only a subset of the tapes.  Maybe they were stolen, who knows, but it's likely the end really is near (bright side, some truly great '75 shows remain).

i really do doubt that JP is behind the releases, sure there have been some pretty damn good soundboards come out in recent years, but would page really be behind the release of something like the 28-5-77? The show has some high points sure but its just nowhere near the calibre of a lot of the '77 gigs, definitely in the lower echelon of performances from the tour.

If page was releasing these to satisfy the hardcore base such as oourselves, why not release 'official' bootlegs like the stones have done the past few years; or Dylan? A show like 7-6-77, or 5-22-77 cleaned up by the likes of Bob clearmountain would sound pretty darn good., even if they are more than listenable in their current state. Evidence of this is the stones release 'LA Friday' (excellent btw). 

Page is just too ccritical towards the sound of his own playing imo, which sucks because he always lauded Zeppelin as being a band that wasn't afraid to try new things on stage which invariably ends in the odd mistake. 

Whoa long post. Sorry ppl first in a while! To the topic at hand, I hope another board from '77 is in the pipeline... Fingers point to more from the MSG run being out there.

For evidence I'd cite everything Jimmy has ever said or done regarding live material. Others have put it in more detail in this thread, but he's always been unwilling to put out anything he regards as sub standard in terms of playing or recording quality. The courtroom transcript you provided is ample evidence for his attitude. As for Halfin, I'd note that this was a very specific assertion made by the bootlegger's defence laywer, and one refuted under oath by Jimmy. I'm afraid that's no evidence of anything.

Put it another way. Imagine you are Jimmy Page and presumably have a whole load of soundboard tapes going right back. Why restrict yourself to releasing tapes from a few weeks in 1975? Why release anything from 1977 when your playing was wrecked, and nothing from a few years earlier when you were at the top of your game? The idea of Jimmy quietly masterminding all this is a fun idea, and I'd like it to be true too, in some ways. But it's highly unlikely. I'd say it's more plausible to be Robert Plant making mischief, he has tapes too! (for the avoidance of doubt I don't think that's remotely likely either)

The evidence for 'those theories' is surely what has been released to date. That evidence tells us that whoever has these tapes - and I've no idea - has a good stash from Feb to March 75, and an unknown quantity from 1977. Who knows what their rationale or schedule for releasing these things is. I'm glad we get anything at this point. Other earlier shows may well appear at some point, but there's zero evidence to date that they would be from this source, whoever that is. I'm wracking my brains to remember when the last pre 75 soundboard appeared... it's certainly not recent.

I'm expect 'whoever that is' is probably reading these threads and having a good laugh btw!

i really do doubt that JP is behind the releases, sure there have been some pretty damn good soundboards come out in recent years, but would page really be behind the release of something like the 28-5-77? The show has some high points sure but its just nowhere near the calibre of a lot of the '77 gigs, definitely in the lower echelon of performances from the tour.

If page was releasing these to satisfy the hardcore base such as oourselves, why not release 'official' bootlegs like the stones have done the past few years; or Dylan? A show like 5-6-77, or 5-22-77 cleaned up by the likes of Bob clearmountain would sound pretty darn good. Evidence of this is the stones release 'LA Friday' (excellent btw). 

Page is just too ccritical towards the sound of his own playing imo, which sucks because he always lauded Zeppelin as being a band that wasn't afraid to try new things on stage which invariably ends in the odd mistake. 

Whoa long post. Sorry ppl first in a while! To the topic at hand, I hope another board from '77 is in the pipeline... Fingers point to more from the MSG run being out there.

I agree he's overprotective, yeah. And also not very interested in live material at this point. We've never got a proper Earls Court or Knebworth release, and when Dave Lewis asked him the other month about Japan 71, he said he could do it but it would be too much work. Shame!

I agree he's overprotective, yeah. And also not very interested in live material at this point. We've never got a proper Earls Court or Knebworth release, and when Dave Lewis asked him the other month about Japan 71, he said he could do it but it would be too much work. Shame!

Too much work?! What the fuck? What, is Jimmy too busy working on his nonexistent solo album?:lol:

Hey Jimmy: we know you've never been averse to making a few bucks...just do what the fuckin' Stones and Neil Young have done and clean up a few live archive tapes and put em out, sell 'em online, whatever's right- then sit back and count the goddamn money.

Back to the "what's next" question - I'm thinking the unreleased Houston 2-27-1975 soundboard will quite possibly be a 4 CD set....

I didn't have my wristwatch on that night, but most accounts put the show at between 3 hrs 15 min and 3 hrs and 45 min....  As I have mentioned in other posts, this show has never been released as an audience or soundboard recording....

After reading the section in the Davis book on the LZ 1975 Tour about this particular Houston show, that they were off for almost 2 weeks (JP & RP vacationing in Dominica) before starting the 2nd leg of the tour in Houston, got into Houston the day before and had a band dinner the night before the show - so you know Robert's voice was rested and the band was ready for a big night the next day at the Sam Houston Coliseum - site of many barnburner concerts......... that should be one hell of a release......

LZ 75.jpg

Back to the "what's next" question - I'm thinking the unreleased Houston 2-27-1975 soundboard will quite possibly be a 4 CD set....

I didn't have my wristwatch on that night, but most accounts put the show at between 3 hrs 15 min and 3 hrs and 45 min....  As I have mentioned in other posts, this show has never been released as an audience or soundboard recording....

After reading the section in the Davis book on the LZ 1975 Tour about this particular Houston show, that they were off for almost 2 weeks (JP & RP vacationing in Dominica) before starting the 2nd leg of the tour in Houston, got into Houston the day before and had a band dinner the night before the show - so you know Robert's voice was rested and the band was ready for a big night the next day at the Sam Houston Coliseum - site of many barnburner concerts......... that should be one hell of a release......

LZ 75.jpg

Were you at the show? I'm very jealous! There are now very few total gaps in the boot record for 1975, but Houston is one of them.

Word of caution re the Davis LZ-75 book. It's full of errors and things that simply aren't true. For example, on page 91 of my hardback edition he has JP playing Whole Lotta Love in Fort Worth for 35 minutes... nope, as we can now tell from the new SBD. He also gives a direct quote from Plant from the Houston gig. Interesting to know how he knows that, given that he wasn't there and there are no recordings.

He then waxes lyrical about the Austin TX gig on March 7th. I'd love to hear a boot of that one!

I heard something like Luis Rey got into trouble or scolded years ago for mentioning the Southampton soundboard or something...  This is when only bits of Southampton was leaked, like the rehearsal and before the setlist songs got leaked.    -  There were 2 Southampton shows - We know it was multi-tracked, so the 2nd missing show had to have been multi-tracked also.  

Someone also has to have Seattle '72 Soundboard.  That is a Holy Grail show for sure.

Archived