Who do you think are the Best Bands of the 90's

The Rover

Tool

Can't believe it took 15 posts to mention Tool!

The 90s were an awesome period for hard rock.

Besides Tool...

Soundgarden Jesus Christ Pose - from 3:35 to 4:45 is close to being the greatest 70 seconds ever recorded.

Monster Magnet Spine of God and Powertrip were my 2 favorite CDs

Ministry - Stigmata from The Land of Rape and Honey

Yeah, I had a special love for Industrial...

Fear Factory - Self Bias Resistor from Demanufacture

Skinny Puppy -

from Too Dark Park

NIN -

from Broken

1:58 - 2:40 = 42 seconds that force you to bang yer head.

During the actual 90s (as opposed to listening to the bands now), not much. Some DMB, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and a couple of others, but those were the Barney/Blues Clues/Wiggles years for me. :unsure:

Oh, Hootie and the Blowfish. Yeah.

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the White Stripes...I only discovered them in the '00s so I can't truthfully put them on my list.

I thought about this some more and there were a few more, but my list was still pretty child-friendly:

Sarah McLachlan

Dixie Chicks

Garth Brooks

Faith Hill

Toby Keith

Sugar Ray

Goo Goo Dolls

Alanis Morrissette

Smashmouth

I probably bought fewer than 5 cd's in the entire decade.

I thought about this some more and there were a few more, but my list was still pretty child-friendly:

Sarah McLachlan

Dixie Chicks

Garth Brooks

Faith Hill

Toby Keith

Sugar Ray

Goo Goo Dolls

Alanis Morrissette

Smashmouth

I probably bought fewer than 5 cd's in the entire decade.

Love Sarah and not just because she happens to come from Vancouver. Honestly thought she put out some great music and dispite her set back with breast cancer, it looks like she's going to offer up more of herself for many years to come. Great artist !

Love Sarah and not just because she happens to come from Vancouver. Honestly thought she put out some great music and dispite her set back with breast cancer, it looks like she's going to offer up more of herself for many years to come. Great artist !

I didn't know she'd had breast cancer :o I still listen to her music; haven't seen her in concert yet, but definitely want to.

I didn't know she'd had breast cancer :o I still listen to her music; haven't seen her in concert yet, but definitely want to.

She really is something special live ! She's got new material out and as far as I know, she plans on touring :) .

Perhaps I've somehow managed to miss it but so far I can't find any evidence of Sarah McLachlan ever being diagnosed with breast cancer. I know she's a champion of breast cancer research but outside of that, I haven't been able to find anything that says she has breast cancer. As far as where's she's been, she's headlining The Lilith Fair. I'd say that's a pretty high profile gig except the tour has been suffering greatly from poor ticket sales.

Perhaps I've somehow managed to miss it but so far I can't find any evidence of Sarah McLachlan ever being diagnosed with breast cancer. I know she's a champion of breast cancer research but outside of that, I haven't been able to find anything that says she has breast cancer. As far as where's she's been, she's headlining The Lilith Fair. I'd say that's a pretty high profile gig except the tour has been suffering greatly from poor ticket sales.

Coincidentally I just got a FB update that Sarah is continuing to tour (although no shows listed in Va so far):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/notes/sarah-mclachlan/sarah-mclachlan-announces-sarah-and-friends-november-tour-dates/493703354965

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

Coincidentally I just got a FB update that Sarah is continuing to tour (although no shows listed in Va so far):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/notes/sarah-mclachlan/sarah-mclachlan-announces-sarah-and-friends-november-tour-dates/493703354965

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

Apparently the Lilith Fair tour isn't over (as stated in that article) as I just read about more dates in October.

You are correct Jahfin... my mistake. She has however been going thru a divorce. I was confusing her with another local artist.. Biff Naked

• 1 year later...

I remember a colleague of mine had Suzanne Vega and The Human League on constant rotation, on his PC while he worked. Although I don't think they're the best bands from the nineties, I'm listening to them now, Suzanne Vega especially, to help me reconnect with the nineties. More than one friend at school had a Suzanne Vega album. I somehow think that if I listen to that, I'll be transported back to those years, early to mid-nineties.

My personal rank of band from the nineties? It's hard to tell, many people nowadays say that Neutral Milk Hotel was the best band of the decade, I somewhat agree, but I also include The Wallflowers, the Counting Crows, R.E.M. probably, they had a lot of hits on the radio but also U2 with Zooropa and Son Volt is something that I'm presently digging.

If you like Suzanne Vega, I suggest giving Sharon Van Etten a listen (if you haven't done so already). Not that they sound all that much alike but I think they explore some similar themes in their songs. I first got turned onto Sharon during the the first Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh back in 2010. I've since seen her one other time when she took part in the Sounds of the South show in Durham in 2011 which was part of the Duke Performances series. Also on the bill were Megafaun, Fight the Big Bull and Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver). I liked what I'd heard from Sharon from the start but it wasn't until I picked up her new album Tramp earlier this year that I realized just how big of a fan I was. Here's "Serpents", the first single from Tramp. If you just so happen to recognize the drummer, that's Zeke Hutchins from Tift Merritt's band.

Archived